USIA Techniflex drysuit

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
bnboly
Submariner

USIA Techniflex drysuit

Post by bnboly »

Getting ready to purchase a USIA Techniflex dry suit. Anyone out there dive one or know someone who has? Any info on them prior to purchasing would be great! Thanks!

PS Bassman - Berni is doing great!
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

All I can tell you about them is that I ordered one last night.....
I speced:

No Velcro ankle and wrist cuffs

two pockets

no "J" shaped patches on legs

move vent from forearm to normal upper arm location

"sock" style feet w/ kevlar soles
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I ordered one a month ago..... :crybaby: they are really backed up... don't expect it for a while....
I am so freaking excited about it though!! I am supposed to get it monday.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

last monday Kim Johns (mr usia) came down to the eugene dive club and gave a presentation which included the new tecniflex suit. It has been heavily tested by numerous divers over a couple years and has performed flawlessly. Its a bi-lam suit that doesn't seperate in the high stress areas like under the arms and the crotch areas. Made me think about buying one. its also available with a quick release pocket system so you can change from a small to large size to suit the dive. The blue flame cloth panels was cool looking.
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

Cera, did yours arrive?
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

nice-diver wrote: Its a bi-lam suit that doesn't seperate in the high stress areas like under the arms and the crotch areas. Made me think about buying one. its also available with a quick release pocket system so you can change from a small to large size to suit the dive.
I haven't seen this suit in person so I can't comment on it but I do have a question:

What does that mean? It doesn't seperate?

The detachable pocket thing IMO is sales pitch.

Divers are creatures of habit. We find what we like and we stick with it. How many divers do you see out there with ancient equipment? It's not that they can't afford newer stuff, it's because they are comfortable with what they have and don't want to change it. An example, I have a 5 y/o DUI CF200 that I've dove the living crap out of. I decided I needed another suit because I always have to be ready to dive at a moments notice. I got a brand new DUI CLX50/50 same configuration as my cf200 Signature Series, all the whistles and bells. Guess which one goes in the boat first. Yep, the CF200 I'm more comfortable with it.

Back to the pocket thing, If they can sell you the suit and a spare or larger pocket, thats an easy upsell for every suit. They know that once you get comfortable in the suit, you probably never mess with the pocket again.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

divernick wrote:Cera, did yours arrive?
No, still no word, I have called twice and e-mailed once.. they just say they will check and call me back. Its a week late, so far.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Ok, I went an picked up my suit today... it is so nice, now I just need to get it in the water. I will post some photos (dry) if anyone wants to see them.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sweet! I can't wait for mine! Yeah, show us some pics, and let us know how it performs in the water!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

Has anyone that ordered one of these suits recieved it, and used it yet? What do you think of it?
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Ordered mine 3 weks ago - supposed to be in next week!
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

I went and looked at one this afternoon. One of the shops managed to get one for a display. i really like the look of it. I'm seriously thinking about getting one, but would like to get some feedback from someone who's actually dived it.

Nick
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Nailer99 orderd one and from what I can tell he loves it. It looks like a real quality suit..
Who run barter town?
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I have used mine once.... It was good, the zipper (front) was a little bulky out of water but fine once you get in. I was cold, but that was my own fault. So far its great... It really seems like a quality suit.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yep, I'm loving mine. I'm gonna try and write up a review of it soon, but if you're seriously going to order one, I have some recomendations: Order it without the irritating and pointless velcro cuffs on the wrists, and get the dump valve in the proper "upper arm" location. I tweaked a few other things that escape me at the moment, but, long story short- this is a great suit, for a great price.
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Would someone be kind enough to point me to USIAs website.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't need a salesman calling me yet. What are the suits costing? I like the fact they're so customizable.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I spent, I think, 1800$ on mine, made to my specs, measured to me, just how I wanted it.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

18 scubaunits, not bad for a custom suit. THX for review.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

OUCH!! Pretty spendy, well sort-of, anyway, I agree with the nixing of the wrist coverers (?) they are kinda pointless and get in the way on the surface. I got my valve on the lower sleeve and its ok there, doesn't interfere with getting my bc on as much and its harder for air to accidently escape from.

nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

my lds at x-mass time for the tecniflex was: suit, undergarments, bag $1300.

Think its about $1500-1600 now

way way way down here in Eugene
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Pretty good deal! Must be ESD! Anyway, I know there are a few lds' that get a better deal on the suits and can sell them for less because of it. (Like UW sports and ESD. ) UW sports offered me a similar deal $1300 for the lot.

Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Nailer99 wrote:http://www.usia.com/
OK, I'm... an... idiot. Looked on yahoo, but didn't see it.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I don't understand what you didn't find? are you looking for usia?? Here is the 'link' to techniflex suits.

http://www.usia.com/consumer/?p=154