Keep that dive flag flying

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Keep that dive flag flying

Post by Jan K »

OK, this one is for entertainment purposes only... :biggrin:
There were enough divers ashore yelling at this guy. He moved off ...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Re: Keep that dive flag flying

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Was this Sat?

We came up fram a dive and asked some guys on shore if a boat was close. It sounded pretty loud down on the jetty.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Aren’t they to stay 600' away in that area? If so call the game warden or sheriff the next time and see if you can get the number off the boat in a pic while fishing and turn them in.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Yes, it was Saturday - Keystone - a mad place of boat trailers, boats, cars, pickups, fishermen, divers and tourists . Yesterday, on Sunday - not a single boat launched or trailer parked at Keystone. And I was the only diver in the morning. Go figure.
And yes, they are supposed to stay out of that area, but it keeps happening in spite of posted map and instructions. :dontknow:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

If they know it's an MPA some folks will push it ... because they know that's where the big fish are. A few years back I saw a boat tied up to one of the boundary buoys at Edmonds UP ... casting into the park ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Yea some people are just AH's,

If you can get a picture (or vid better yet) that has their boat numbers visible and them fishing in a restricted zone then they can be fined if you file a complaint with the game warden or sheriff.
Greg
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Jan K wrote:Yes, it was Saturday - Keystone - a mad place of boat trailers, boats, cars, pickups, fishermen, divers and tourists . Yesterday, on Sunday - not a single boat launched or trailer parked at Keystone. And I was the only diver in the morning. Go figure.
And yes, they are supposed to stay out of that area, but it keeps happening in spite of posted map and instructions. :dontknow:
The cluster of boats on Saturday is because it's Halibut season, which runs Thursday through Saturday.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Hey, that's MY dive flag!! :clap: And, I believe someone in our group did write down his reg numbers.......
Jenn
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Here is another recreational boaters view of fishing and dive boat activity. Just an interesting point of view that I tried to clear up on a different board.

http://www.iboatnw.com/forum/showthread ... his-divers.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
Plus1
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Plus1 »

I think it would be terrific if EVERYONE was familiar with and followed the state guidelines for dive boats, available here.

http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/course/p4-11_ ... ipment.htm

Oh, by the way. It really reflects very poorly on the entire dive community to go onto the fishing boards trying to defend dive boat violations by name calling, swearing, and the such.

Respect goes a long ways.

Thanks

"Scuba divers and snorkelers should not place a flag in an area already occupied by other boaters or where their diving operation will impede the normal flow of waterway traffic. Divers also should follow all of the water safety rules themselves."
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Plus1 wrote:
"Scuba divers and snorkelers should not place a flag in an area already occupied by other boaters or where their diving operation will impede the normal flow of waterway traffic. Divers also should follow all of the water safety rules themselves."
Great point, I've bailed out of a dive site because it had fisherman on it, I think my first two times at Possession Point were scratched for those reasons. I've also moved defensively (with a flag up) on a site where I had divers in the water and people motored right up and dropped their lines. Usually I start barking at them.

Point being, idiots everywhere.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Plus1 wrote: "Scuba divers and snorkelers should not place a flag in an area already occupied by other boaters or where their diving operation will impede the normal flow of waterway traffic. Divers also should follow all of the water safety rules themselves."

On this one the fisherman is fishing in closed water in the first place. 600' off shore (approximately 400' off end the jetty) from east of the old military wharf to the jetty is closed it is a marine preserve "no fishing of any kind". You can fish from the north side of the harbor to around the head up to the sign at Fort Casey. then that area is closed 400 yards offshore and just over .6 miles north.

So this idiot is fishing in closed waters in the first place.
Greg