Lookin for 6 gill at Flagpole

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Lookin for 6 gill at Flagpole

Post by gutholmj »

Winter and I went out to Flagpole last Thursday with one of our primary goals being to drop down the deep wall in search of six gill. We arrived at Mike's at 9, paid our 10 bucks and headed over to the dive site. We had timed things to splash for our first dive on a small flood with the hope of having a descent swim. The weather was gorgeous and the water surface was flat and calm. With a light push from the current, no wind and no chop, this was one of the best swims at Flagpole I've ever done.

We dropped down the mooring line and headed over the south side of the pinnacle. We worked our way through the cloud sponges and headed down the deep wall to 130 few where I spent a whopping 5 minutes. No six gill were anywhere to be seen and we headed up the wall and lazily explored the top of the knuckle. My second goal for the dive was to find the juvenile yellow eye. Every time I go to Flagpole with backwater, he finds it. Every time I go with anyone else, I can never seem to find it. I looked everywhere in the area I thought it should be and still no luck. I'm starting to think it's a plastic fish Bric brings with him in his pocket.

For dive 2, we decided to drop at the entry and head out to the deep outcrop north of the knuckle. This is now one of my favorite dives. We found lots of cool critters as we passed the little junkyard heading south and gently downslope to around 75 fsw. We had plenty of time to explore the outcrop and Winter even headed further downslope for a bit before working our way up to the shallow knuckle near shore that bottoms out at around 50 fsw. We had a nice, relaxing and uneventful dive as we made a leisurely pace back to the entry.
Attachments
This rockfish looked really cool just resting so gracefully on the sponge. I got 2 shots. Unfortunately the shot with the better pose was totally out of focus.
This rockfish looked really cool just resting so gracefully on the sponge. I got 2 shots. Unfortunately the shot with the better pose was totally out of focus.
There were tons of jellies. Standing waist deep at the entry, there were dozens drifting by.
There were tons of jellies. Standing waist deep at the entry, there were dozens drifting by.
This was the one unusual find of the day. I've never found any small octos at Flagpole. This guy was about the size of my thumbnail.
This was the one unusual find of the day. I've never found any small octos at Flagpole. This guy was about the size of my thumbnail.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
deep diver
Pelagic

Re: Lookin for 6 gill at Flagpole

Post by deep diver »

Nice pics......nice catch on the octo! too bad on the six gil, but it's best at dawn when it's still fairly dark and they come up to feed.... :eek: on your fins....

Dale
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice report James! I'm going to have to talk you into taking me with you on a shore dive here!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Tom Nic wrote:Nice report James! I'm going to have to talk you into taking me with you on a shore dive here!
Any time you want to go on a Thur, Sat or Sun.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks! I'll take you up on that down the road here...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

James!!!!
You had me at "6 gill"
But then what a disappointment. (No 6 gill)

Still, good pics though.

Keith
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Archer
Just Settling In

Post by Archer »

what dive site is Flagpole?? Do not see it on any of the lists I have.
Archer
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Archer wrote:what dive site is Flagpole?? Do not see it on any of the lists I have.
I've been meaning to write up a bit more formal of a description for the site listings but here's a rudimentary map. Positions on the map are rough approximations and should not be used for dive planning.

Basically, you pay at Mike's Beach Resort, drive south to the entry, park at the bottom of the hill and then swim a long way out to the WSA mooring. The current can be difficult to predict and because of the distance from shore, gas planning/management and navigation is very important.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Archer wrote:what dive site is Flagpole?? Do not see it on any of the lists I have.
It's about 20 minutes north of Sund rock.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
waterdog
Frequent Bubbler

Post by waterdog »

Great report, thanks James! Flagpole is one of our favorite dives. I see something new there every time! Great pic of the octo, too!