New to diving and the NW Dive Club

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
dslotwin
Getting To Know Folks

New to diving and the NW Dive Club

Post by dslotwin »

Seasons Greetings from Olympia. I'm Dave. My wife and I completed our SSI OW certification in October through the Capital Divers in Olympia and Kona Honu Divers in Kona. Our many thanks to Wayne in Olympia and Ty in Kona who were our primary instructors. Since certification, I have completed two more dives with Wayne during which we have continued to work on bouyancy and weigthing. On my last dive, I was introduced to my new bcd, regs, and computer. I've joined this site because (1) I have so much to learn and experience, (2) I want to learn the right and safe way, (3) over the past month have viewed many of the postings and am impressed by the willingeness of the club's members to embrace, teach and mentor new divers, and (4) to meet other divers to enhance my diving experience. To date I have 6 dives, 4 in Hawaii (all boat dives) and 2 in the Sound (shore dives). In the Sound, I've used a 6mm farmer john and as posted in the threads, quickly learned that although I stayed warm, its a one dive suit as I couldn't keep warm on the surface. Thanks to guidance from Wayne and Craig's at Capital Divers, I purchased a DUI dry suit that should be available sometime in Jan. Until it arrives, I am interested in trying to make several more one-tank dives to continue working on my bouyancy, weighting and fin control. Age and employment wise, I'm 58, semi-retired, played soldier for a few years, live in Olympia and have a flexible weekday schedule. Although my first name is Dave, I go by Slots.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: New to diving and the NW Dive Club

Post by dwashbur »

Welcome to the nut house! It's good to have you here. There are lots of folks here in Olympia who can help you out, and if you get up toward the Tacoma area and above, let us know because we're always interested in a dive.

One thing I don't understand: you have a great and noble name like Dave, but you go by something else?????????????? :angelblue:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
dslotwin
Getting To Know Folks

Post by dslotwin »

Thank you Dave for the welcome. I will be heading up to Tacoma as I was introduced to Les Davis last week and since there is much more to see and explore there than what I saw, I know I'll be back. As for why I go by "Slots," it's simple- when I was in middle school, several of the guys I hung out with were also named "Dave." We all took nicknames that stayed with us for life.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Welcome to the sport Slots. My family lives in Olympia, and occasionally I bug people to dive with me in the south when I go to visit them. It's always promising to have more bug-victims to pester! :)

If you make it all the way North to Whidbey, I'm ever-short of buddies!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Welcome Slots!
Shoot me a PM when you want to dive Hood Canal or Redondo.
MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
waterdog
Frequent Bubbler

Post by waterdog »

Welcome to the dark side Slots! I am in the South Sound area too, when I am not deployed. Feel free to hit me up if you ever want to dive Hood Canal!
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Hi Dave and welcome. You will find that there are lots of us Olympites who love to dive. I'd be happy to meet up with you some time so feel free to send me a PM.

Good move on jumping right in on the drysuit. Puget Sound diving is a whole different experience when you are diving dry.

When were you in Kona? My wife and I just got back.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
dslotwin
Getting To Know Folks

Post by dslotwin »

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I'm certain I'll take you up on your offers.
-Blaiz, How often do you make it to Olympia? Been a long time since I've been up to Whibey Island.
-MZ, Will do. I've been to Sund Rock and am looking forward to going back!
-Waterdog, Sounds like you are still on "AD." What branch, I'm a retired Army and wish I had taken up diving years ago.
-Gutholmj, We were in Kona early October, same time as the Ironman. Hotel sponsored a rest stop so we volunteered and handed out water bottles. Where did you stay and dive?

Again, thanks all for the welcome.

Slots
waterdog
Frequent Bubbler

Post by waterdog »

Slots, I am still on AD. I am a CW2 with the 1st Special Forces Group at Lewis. *sigh* Only 3 more years till I can retire! When I am home, my wife and I are in the water almost every weekend, and if the tides are right, sometimes during the week. Always willing to take additional people on the boat!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome to the addiction Slots!

When I'm fully recovered(January), I usually dive the South end sites on Thursdays. Keep an eye on the Dive Planning section, I frequently post my Thursday Dives there.

Hope to meet and dive with you and the Mrs's in January!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

dslotwin wrote:Thanks all for the warm welcome. I'm certain I'll take you up on your offers.
-Blaiz, How often do you make it to Olympia? Been a long time since I've been up to Whibey Island.
-MZ, Will do. I've been to Sund Rock and am looking forward to going back!
-Waterdog, Sounds like you are still on "AD." What branch, I'm a retired Army and wish I had taken up diving years ago.
-Gutholmj, We were in Kona early October, same time as the Ironman. Hotel sponsored a rest stop so we volunteered and handed out water bottles. Where did you stay and dive?

Again, thanks all for the welcome.

Slots
We may have crossed paths in the airport. We got there on Oct 13th. We did a mix of shore diving and some boat trips with Wanna Dive.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

I don't make it to Olympia all that often, was in the south in august and for thanksgiving, but Mom wants me to come down for Christmas... we will see.
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Welcome! I also got my OW with Capital Divers - Wayne's absolutely lovely!

Enjoy the site, dive safe, and have fun!

Woot woot!
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
dslotwin
Getting To Know Folks

Post by dslotwin »

Thanks Jen and yes, Wayne is fantastic!
dslotwin
Getting To Know Folks

Post by dslotwin »

dwasbur, Blaiz, Mz53480, waterdog, gutholmj, bassman, jenbowes,
Too all of you, thanks for the warm, welcome, happy holidays and Happy New Year. Although the Holidays have been kind of busy, I look forward to the opportunity to dive with each of you in the new year. Please let me know if it is OK to send you a PM or email as you are welcome to PM or email me.
Slots
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

dslotwin wrote:dwasbur, Blaiz, Mz53480, waterdog, gutholmj, bassman, jenbowes,
Too all of you, thanks for the warm, welcome, happy holidays and Happy New Year. Although the Holidays have been kind of busy, I look forward to the opportunity to dive with each of you in the new year. Please let me know if it is OK to send you a PM or email as you are welcome to PM or email me.
Slots
I only require two things.
Dive on Thursday and keep it in the South end, Three Tree N. and South from There.

Looking forward to diving with you soon!

Keith.
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

dslotwin wrote:dwasbur, Blaiz, Mz53480, waterdog, gutholmj, bassman, jenbowes,
Slots
Anytime. I'm usually diving on Thursday and Saturday or Sunday.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

gutholmj wrote:I'm usually diving on Thursday and Saturday or Sunday.
And sometimes on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.

This sums up my diving...
:ballandchain: :crybaby: :banghead: :angryblue: :questionmarks: :smt024