Redondo Lingcod Egg Sightings & Questions...

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Redondo Lingcod Egg Sightings & Questions...

Post by Sounder »

2 weeks ago Tom :partyman: and I dove Redondo and saw 2 fresh batches of Lingcod eggs. One was on a piece of the oven on the ground next to the vertical piece and the other was on the driver's-side-rear axel of the VW.

This week (Wednesday) they were both gone though there was one similar sized Ling's around the VW, but he wasn't saying "stay away from my babies" as we approached. The VW axel was covered in large starfish and the Lingcod just sat next to it looking sad.

Today there were two similar-sized lings around the VW but no eggs. As we turned the dive and passed the oven again headed home I encountered a smaller but strong :naka: ling that struck me ](*,) and then swam back to the top of the oven where it perched in "crouching-lingcod-hidden-dragon" :smt027 position. I tried to get Diver C's attention (that's what all my flashing was about Rich - yes, I was ok and thank you for asking :partyman: =D> ) but we were passed it so I told him to "never mind." A few minutes later, on the southern-most reflector pile, I saw fresh eggs but no papa ling around #-o ... I kept my distance anyway. :pale:

Questions: :book: :smt024
1. What kinds of critters dine on lingcod eggs? (Is a better question who doesn't?)
2. Can a lingcod defend against starfish?
3. How long do lingcod males stay near a nest once it has been destroyed?
4. Is a male ALWAYS around a next or do they sometimes leave for a while (assuming they're not caught by a fisherman or something)?
5. Why don't female lingcod help the dad's out?! :angryfire:
6. Any other interesting factoids? :book:

Thanks! :prayer:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

I will try to answer based on my experience with Lingcod eggs here on Whidbey.
Sunflower Stars love Lingod eggs and will destroy egg mass in day or two. Lingcod male will grab and pull stars off, some males are better guardians then others. One male can have more then one nest in his territory, maybe some lady Ling likes his location and personality :)
Females come from deep water, lay eggs and split. Why? Only they know :(
Nest will not survive without male guardian, I watch them chase fish, other Lings, divers away.
Males will stay around for long time even after nest is destroyed, hoping to attract another female..
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That's exactly what kind of star was on the nest and explains all the behavior I've witnessed. Thank you for the information Jan.

Ok, so perhaps here is the million dollar question - How do sunflower stars know where lingcod eggs are?! How do they find them?! I'm probably not giving them enough credit, but they don't present themselves as incredible hunters at first glance... more like underwater vacuum cleaners.

(Sounder sits down quietly, crosses his legs, folds his hands in his lap, and is excited for todays lesson) :book:
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Does the sunflower star eat nudis too?! You saved the day!!!
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I would have to guess the starfish 'smell' the eggs. Or they smell the ciggarette from the male ling.... get it. smoking. Nevermind, I am a dork.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

No, I don't think nothing eats nudibranchs (except other nudibranchs, but they don't live here). I was watching Sunflower Star cruising down the piling with small Shaggy Mouse nudi in its way. Of course I stopped to watch what will happen. The star stopped in its track and then moved sideways away from the slug not even really touching it except for few seconds with some of its feelers. It was quite a sight :)

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Gotta love that chemical warfare! :supz:

Nudi's are awful pretty, but they sure must taste pretty awful! :rr:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

This is really interesting to me - so they smell them and all head that direction?! It amazes me that they can actually find the nests. Seems the papa lingcod could do more to protect them - they'll ram divers but won't bother with a star?! Seems their priorities should be reevaluated.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Double post #-o - "You can say that again!" ](*,)
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I dove Redondo today and the same ling was sitting on the axle of the bug. I could tell it was him by the lips...they were white. He is very protective of the Bug. I almost wonder if there could be other eggs, hiding inside the bug.

I looking in all the spots and there were no lingcod eggs at all. Although, there were a lot of sunflower stars around.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

I was glad to see that the ling on eggs on the first set of reflectors was not only still there, but still had a nice size egg mass to protect.

Let's just hope that they actually mature and grow up to become more nice big lingcods that will someday get the chance to attack us divers.
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

...and I was happy to see both ling cods....and quite thrilled they were not charging me or nipping my fingers!

Gotta love those Redondo lings..but I was happy to see two grunt sculpins also - I don't think they bite (or charge)

jackie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Where did you see grunts? I still haven't seen one there!!! :angryfire: