Divers needed to conduct scientific survey!!!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
TJ Yockachonis
Just Settling In

Divers needed to conduct scientific survey!!!

Post by TJ Yockachonis »

Hello everyone!

My name is TJ Yockachonis and you may remember my post a few months ago giving information about an octopus survey I was doing to local Puget Sound divers. The survey was online and did not get many responses, so my fellow students and I have decided to conduct the survey in person at various dive sights. This is for the best because it will also allow us to get out and interact with experienced divers in person, which is always more interesting!

We are trying to find dates and sites (or create them) where there will be several divers diving in a day or weekend. All we are doing is collecting counts on Pacific Red Octopus sightings at different diving locations. We are going to see if the little red octos are seen more in conjunction with heavily littered areas.

If anyone knows a popular date/site in the next few weeks, we can come out in person to and get some data on octopus sightings!

Or, if there are a large group of people who want to organize a dive for this mission, please send me a private message and I will get back to you very quickly!

Thanks!!!

TJ Yockachonis
Ex-EOD Diver USN
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Re: Divers needed to conduct scientific survey!!!

Post by finnegankp »

TJ,

There is always large groups of divers that are out at Seacrest Coves 1 & 2 and the Alki Pipeline and Junkyard. Other popular sites that have GPO sightings are Edmonds UW Park, Redondo Beach, and Octopus Hole in Hood Canal. I will likely be out at Cove 1 & 2 every weekend with the exception of the end of this month. If you want to come out and interact with a lot of experienced divers those may be a good place to start. Another idea that may be of some help would be to contact the local dive shops and find out where recent sightings have been reported. Many of the workers at the dive shops are out at least 2-3 days a week and have likely seen the GPOs while diving.

If you would like any more information or to contact me directly please send me a private message.

- Kyle
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

:)
TJ's look for Pacific Red Octo's Kyle.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

Haha oops! Well then forget what I said. Though I thought I heard something about there being a Pacific Red at the Junkyard.
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Redondo is usually a good site for Red Octo's but the critter sitings have been a bit sparse recently. Wait a few weeks and you may get better results. Usually Redondo is quite active on weekends-you will probably be able to find several who can help you out. I'll be there on 7th of May with a Fish ID class-if you are around, I'd be willing to talk with you and survey for Red Octos. Good luck with your research.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

usually lots of reds around tacoma (les davis). i know some divers are going there this afternoon. In fact, you can almost always count on finding divers at les davis pretty much any day.