Channel Islands ...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Channel Islands ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

I just got back from a three-day excursion on The Peace with 19 other folks. Eleven of us were from the Puget Sound area ... most, I think, are active on NWDC. This was a really interesting trip, in that we did a "south to north" sweep of the islands and hit some particularly interesting dive sites.

Our boat left Ventura harbor at 9 PM Thursday evening, for a 10-hour ride to San Clemente ... which we knew would be at least partly closed due to military maneuvers around the island. But we had been told that it offered some spectacular diving, and wanted to chance that they'd let us dive. As we approached the island around dawn, we could see Navy vessels on the horizon, and since we didnt' get hailed and told to leave, we figured it was going to work out. And it did. Even better, we were met by a welcoming committe in the form of a large pod of dolphins ... several of which entertained us for a long time by surfing off our bow. I'm told that Laurynn gor some great footage ... perhaps she'll share some of it with us.

I didn't keep track of the dive sites we did out there ... although I think Airsix did ... so perhaps he can supply that info at some point. But we did a total of four dives there during the day, and a night dive late in the evening (which I did not do). I was playing with my new dome port on this day ... which I still haven't really gotten to take many pictures with. Unfortunately, on the fourth dive I got caught in some particularly nasty surge, and now my dome port has some particularly nasty gouges in it where I got slammed into some rocks. I had a hard time being happy the rest of the week-end because of it ... but I'm hopeful it can be fixed.

Anyway, here's a few shots I took before I trashed the thing ... wide-angle takes a bit of getting used to for someone like me who's used to taking close-ups all the time ...

Some pics of Ben from our first two dives ...

... and some shots of Lynne on dive #3 ...

That night they moved the boat around to Catalina Island, and the next morning we did Farnsworth Bank. I made two excellent decisions on this dive ... I took a scooter, and I did not take a camera. My dive buddy for that dive was Chris Finley, who I hadn't dived with in a long time. The reef is amazing ... better than Neah Bay ... possibly as good as Port Hardy ... incredible life everywhere! But the current was ripping. When you're aiming your scoot directly into current and aren't going anywhere, you know there's some stiff "breeze" happening. It was a relatively short dive at about 45 minutes, and even on a scooter I felt like I'd had a morning workout.

Second dive was Ship Rock, and I buddied up with Peter and Lynne. This dive was far more relaxing than the previous one, with very little current, gentle surge, and lots of stuff to see. At one point I found an octopus laying out taking a siesta ...

The reef was literally a forest of kelp, sea fans and gorgonians ... with these little orange bathtub toys swimming around everywhere ...

Next dive was a place called Blue Cavern ... which was a cave that went back about 50 or 60 feet. Unfortunately, sometime after the last time the Peace crew had dropped divers on this site, someone had moved the buoy ... so most of us spent the dive swimming around looking for a cavern that was far from where we'd been told to look. A few folks with scooters found it eventually ... but I hadn't brought one, thinking I wouldn't need it.

On the ascent, I did get a decent shot of my dive buddy Karen ...

And for my fourth dive of the day I did a solo dive at a place called Bird Rock ... which is almost aptly named. The reefs at this place were amazing, and I did a long, relaxing dive finding lots to take pictures of ... like this horn shark ...

... and this little bathtub toy with a very confused look on his face ...

Oh ... and I did see a cormorant swimming around down there at about 75 feet ... it's always weird seeing a bird underwater.

Sunday we only got in two dives, because we had to get back to Ventura in time for those of us heading back to Seattle to catch a late flight home. First dive was on Anacapa Island ... and it was once again a beautiful wall with tons of reef structure on top. Once again, because of current, I opted to take the scooter and not the camera. Turned out to be a reasonable choice, although unlike Farnsworth I think I might have been able to get some nice shots at this place.

We'd been planning a second dive on Anacapa, but the wind came up before we could manage it and so we moved next door to Santa Cruz and did a dive over there. This was a shallow reef, known for nudibranchs ... and it lived up to its billing. Although there was no current, there was plenty of surge on this dive ... so getting macro shots proved ... interesting. But I managed a couple that I liked.

This hermissenda crassicornis was busy laying eggs on the underside of a kelp leaf ... I almost had to invert to get the shot ...

... this nudi is maybe a half-inch long ... so imagine the tiny size of that copapod sitting on its "nose" ...

... a colorful anemone ... I saw a few of these ...

... and finally, hanging onto the anchor chain in 50 feet of water, getting blown back and forth with the surge ... I managed a decent face-on shot of another hermissenda crassicornis ...

Overall, 10 great dives, 19 wonderful people to share three days on a boat with, an amazing and professional crew to see to our every need, and weather that was about as perfect as one could hope for. The damage to the dome port put a bit of a damper on the trip, but breakage is something we have to deal with if we're gonna scuba dive, and I've got a few months before I'll really want to use it again anyway ... so I'll think of something.

For anyone who hasn't been there ... the Channel Islands is one of those destinations that you really need to put on your "must see" list ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Re: Channel Islands ...

Post by MorningDiverBob »

Nice Report and great pictures. I like it. I dove at Anacapa Is. last year. I like go someday. Sorry about the dome port. Hope a replace it and no cost.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

great report and awesome pics, bob! sorry about the dome port, but sometimes that the "cost of doing business"...
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I was Bob's buddy for many of those nudi shots and I can tell you he really had to work for them. The surge was whipping us back and forth like flags in a stiff wind. It amazes me that he could compose, focus, and get the shot in those conditions. Great job, Bob!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Those are LOVELY wide angle shots, Bob! I think you're going to have fun with that thing in the Maldives.

It was a great trip, and the third year we have done it. If you ever get a chance to do the Channel Islands, do it, and especially do it off the Peace. Great boat, great crew, and GREAT FOOD!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Nice shots Bob!! They bring back some great memories of the weekend! The food, The people, The diving it, now that was the perfect trifecta :)

This was truly a remarkable trip and AirSix (Ben) was responsible for 2 of my most memorable experiences :)

1. Spotting and allowing me to scoot around with giant Sea Bass (5-6 footers) for 5 minutes!!
2. Literally saving my butt by wrestling me out of the kelp on the night dive!!

Huge props to our local gang: Laurynn, Doug , Lynne, Peter, Ben, Chris, Kam, Bob, Dennis, Scott !!

And then some heavy gratitude to Kenneth Kopp and Claudette Dorsey for putting the trip together on the Socal side!

And Laurynn if you are reading this, stop it!! and go back to editing the weekend's video ;)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

thanks for the nice report .. sounds like it was a great trip , and lots to see there ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

On the first morning I heard the excitement at the bow and then saw the 4 male bottle-nosed dolphins playing in the pressure wake of the bow. I ran to the back of the boat and said, "Laurynn, drop everything you're doing and grab your camera!!" The footage was definitely worth it.

Conditions were epic on the way out - glass flat water, next to no swell, and just perfect. The next morning however... yeah. :eek:

Farnsworth was the most amazing dive of the trip... it was skill-intensive, and I had a scooter battery come loose which added some significant task-loading in the conditions we had, but it was so worth it. The swell was massive, the wind was blowing, and the current ripping. The Peace crew parked us in shelter to allow everyone to gear-up and then we headed back out to the site. As the Peace crew masterfully set the boat on the target, we watched a huge pod of juvenile common dolphins jump and play... we also watched two other dive boats bail having decided it was undiveable.

We hit the water and had to be on the trigger almost immediately... teams went off opposite sides of the boat at the same time and met at the bow to charge down the line, noses plugged and blowing the whole time.

"This dive brought to you by Dive Xtras!!"

The site blew my mind. A huge sea-mount, cresting at about 80fsw and as current = food, and food = life... this was spectacular. I'll let video, pictures, and people who are better at describing it than I am do that talking, but it was simply incredible.

All 20 members of the team made it back to the boat without having to deploy the tender at all, and we climbed the ladder to the smell of eggs and BACON!!

This dive was not for the faint of heart, but it truly rewarded hard training and experience in a variety of environments. I was very glad to have the team we had on this dive. Laurynn (SeaingGreen) was my Apex-buddy, especially given my issues with a crazily out-of-whack scooter in wild-current on a relatively deep site followed by mid-water deco for 80' in screaming current that accelerated progressively as we ascended. Thanks Laurynn.

The other great highlight for me was finding the cavern. Ben (Airsix) and I teamed up with Tobin George (of Deep Sea Supply) and Christian Norman (of Westbound Diving). Tobin lead the way and after about 4 minutes on the trigger we came upon a hole in the earth... and, just as we'd planned, Christian tied-off the reel. :taco: In we went...

The cavern was pretty large - two 18-wheelers side-by-side would easily fit, maybe 3 (Ben?). The walls were covered with life, the structure was very cool, and about 150'-200' (Ben?) in we blacked-out to look at the entrance which looked like a small glowing emerald in the distance.

I think the cave bug may have bit.

After several trips around the cavern, we headed out and scootered home. Tobin & Christian started their deco, and Ben and I said good-bye as we had plenty of gas left to explore the kelp forest in the shallows... where we found a multitude of treasures and lots of orange bath toys.

More to come...
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Another highlight for me was the site at Anacapa. Literally billions of brittle stars covering every surface. I wasn't sure what they were at first and then to let Koos know, I scooped up a big pile of them and put them on his scooter. Also... Lingcod! It could have been confused with a BC dive save for the lack of plumose and the water close to 60°F
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

diverden wrote:Another highlight for me was the site at Anacapa. Literally billions of brittle stars covering every surface. I wasn't sure what they were at first and then to let Koos know, I scooped up a big pile of them and put them on his scooter. Also... Lingcod! It could have been confused with a BC dive save for the lack of plumose and the water close to 60°F
I believe Tobin said it best "Dennis reenacted the 'Big Bang' when he used his scooter tail to blow hundreds of sea stars all over the galaxy."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sounder wrote:The cavern was pretty large - two 18-wheelers side-by-side would easily fit, maybe 3 (Ben?). The walls were covered with life, the structure was very cool, and about 150'-200' (Ben?) in we blacked-out to look at the entrance which looked like a small glowing emerald in the distance.
You're putting me in a corner. If I deny it then I betray my best friend. If I confirm it then I implicate myself. Oh what the heck. Most of the other exciting and memorable experiences of my life weren't exactly 'sanctioned' either. It was. We did. And yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Farnsworth was also a huge rush. It was like a stroll through a beautiful garden. In a hurricane. Or formation canyon carving in fighter jets. In a hurricane. You know the dive is going to be interesting when it starts with the team captain shouting "Go!" and you descend head-first full-on-the-trigger the whole way down to target depth clearing and hammering inflators as fast as you can the whole way. And then when objects start coming into view they are traveling at an alarming velocity. I've already seen Laurynn's Farnsworth footage and can't for the life of me figure out how she managed to get some of the shots (pointing up-wind, on the trigger and kicking to hold the shot).

And Koos... I don't know where to start. Dude, you are so fun. Those dives were a riot. I'd met Koos a couple of other times but this was the first time we really got a chance to hang out and do a significant amount of diving together. Koos is not just a person he is a cure for everything that sucks. Seriously. If you want to guarantee an event is fun just make sure he's there and it's sure to be fantastic.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Oh, wow, Bob, thanks for sharing those pics. And thanks to the others for sharing the words. I did a four day with them back in end of September/first of October 2010 and I'm SO jonesing to go back. This thread just fired those thoughts RIGHT back up. :)

When I went I agree, my favorite dive was Farnsworth -- something about doing one of the deepest/toughest dives before breakfast was just awesome. Sounds like our conditions weren't too bad; we had a RIPPING current but we did okay without the toys, but it was off the bow and straight down as fast as you could go. AWESOME.

Can't wait to see video!! Post a link to it, please!!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

kdupreez wrote:And Laurynn if you are reading this, stop it!! and go back to editing the weekend's video ;)
Hahahaha! :) Yessir.

But it was a truly epic trip. In every possible way. EPIC! :) Thanks for sharing the photos Bob!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

airsix wrote:
Sounder wrote:The cavern was pretty large - two 18-wheelers side-by-side would easily fit, maybe 3 (Ben?). The walls were covered with life, the structure was very cool, and about 150'-200' (Ben?) in we blacked-out to look at the entrance which looked like a small glowing emerald in the distance.
You're putting me in a corner. If I deny it then I betray my best friend. If I confirm it then I implicate myself. Oh what the heck. Most of the other exciting and memorable experiences of my life weren't exactly 'sanctioned' either. It was. We did. And yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

No corner! No corner! On almost every cave dive I do my team and I cover our lights as we approach the entrance. I'm sorry, but the beautiful glow of that entrance in the blackout-blinds darkness of the cave is just too spectacular to let it be ruined by artificial lights. :)

airsix wrote: Farnsworth was also a huge rush. It was like a stroll through a beautiful garden. In a hurricane. Or formation canyon carving in fighter jets. In a hurricane. You know the dive is going to be interesting when it starts with the team captain shouting "Go!" and you descend head-first full-on-the-trigger the whole way down to target depth clearing and hammering inflators as fast as you can the whole way. And then when objects start coming into view they are traveling at an alarming velocity. I've already seen Laurynn's Farnsworth footage and can't for the life of me figure out how she managed to get some of the shots (pointing up-wind, on the trigger and kicking to hold the shot).
That dive was so much fun for so many reasons. What a rush! Trying to shoot film in those crazy-ass conditions was a huge challenge. Shooting in surge OR current is really tough, but doing it in both and getting any worthwhile footage at all is a feat. I didn't get lots, but I did get some definite keepers. Thanks Doug for being so patient with me and thanks to Ben for being my "raw cut" reviewer. A definite win-win sensatory experience is climbing a ladder after a spectacular dive to the aroma of bacon. Mmm!

And bait balls are among my new favorite diving experiences. We had several encounters with them throughout the weekend. The preliminary footage review looks pretty stinkin' cool.
airsix wrote: And Koos... I don't know where to start. Dude, you are so fun. Those dives were a riot. I'd met Koos a couple of other times but this was the first time we really got a chance to hang out and do a significant amount of diving together. Koos is not just a person he is a cure for everything that sucks. Seriously. If you want to guarantee an event is fun just make sure he's there and it's sure to be fantastic.
+1 +1 +1 +1 :) I am so glad to have him as a part of our community here in Seattle and am looking forward to greater fun ahead! I think one of my all-time funnest dives was Koos and I roadracing our Cudas through the twists and turns of the kelp somehow miraculously avoiding head on collision despite some serious scubatic action going on!

I almost forgot one of the best parts of the trip. Someone who will remain nameless (airsix) gave me maybe the nicest present I've ever received... he crafted a very cool, very amazing, custom video mount for my camera system and scooter. It not only lets me shoot on the fly, but I can quickly unhook the camera from the scooter and then shoot freehand too. It is amazing. It is fantastic. It's gonna get a lot of water time. Thank you, Ben.

Those of you who have been thinking about the Channel Islands... just go do it. Scoots and toys are great to have when you're there, but they are not a requirement. Last year I did this trip without a scoot and only missed 2 dives out of 13. I've got footage from the trip last year up on YouTube. I have some project work and a weekend trip to Nanaimo this weekend but hopefully after that I can get to getting on editing up the footage from the Channel Islands.

Happy diving everyone,
Seainggreen
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Awww.. shucks.. Thanks guys.. The Cheetah almost wants to purr... :luv:

Truly a remarkable set of people in the diving community as a whole.. and especially here locally
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I KNEW Koos was going to have a new avatar . . .

Farnsworth . . . Farnsworth is why we dive, and train, and spend ridiculous sums of money on equipment. From gathering all my courage to pick up a 35 pound scooter, while standing in my fins at the gate but not quite in position to leave the boat (holding the scooter therefore making it impossible for me to steady myself with my hands until I WAS in the right spot to jump), to pointing the scooter straight down the anchor line and realizing that I only had one hand left to protect my abused ears AND keep my suit from becoming a straitjacket . . . Watching two solid, competent buddies doing exactly the same thing, until we flew into a layer of murk and shortly resolved a huge, craggy rock pinnacle, topped by huge schools of blacksmiths. Farnsworth is like Browning Wall; current has fed so much life that it grows on top of itself, crowding and using every square centimeter of space. Life in Day-Glo colors; clumps of hydrocoral the size of basketballs, in brilliant purple; sponges in yellow and orange, and gorgonians in red. Among these brilliant creatures live the most vivid scorpionfish, all trying desperately to recreate the wild colors in their skins. We saw tiny juvenile fish, trying to shelter where they could, and finning desperately against the current. And we, too, found temporary shelter, to catch our breath and spend time actually inspecting the rocks coated with critters. Then we would rise, and pit the power of the scooters against the blowing current -- it was the first time I had ever aimed my Sierra somewhere and been unable to make any progress at all. Slowly, we would creep toward our goal, and once we topped the ridge of rock we had aimed for, we would turn and allow the water's might to blow us violently back to where we had started.

It was not a dive for photography (how Laurynn managed a camera is beyond me) or for leisurely inspection of small things, but it was dramatic and colorful and exciting, and challenging, and I am enormously grateful that the boat crew had enough faith in us to let us do it.

We did other amazing dives (including one on Santa Cruz Island that could have gone on forever, if I'd had my way) but nothing equaled the adrenaline rush that was Farnsworth.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:I KNEW Koos was going to have a new avatar . . .

Farnsworth . . . Farnsworth is why we dive, and train, and spend ridiculous sums of money on equipment. From gathering all my courage to pick up a 35 pound scooter, while standing in my fins at the gate but not quite in position to leave the boat (holding the scooter therefore making it impossible for me to steady myself with my hands until I WAS in the right spot to jump), to pointing the scooter straight down the anchor line and realizing that I only had one hand left to protect my abused ears AND keep my suit from becoming a straitjacket . . . Watching two solid, competent buddies doing exactly the same thing, until we flew into a layer of murk and shortly resolved a huge, craggy rock pinnacle, topped by huge schools of blacksmiths. Farnsworth is like Browning Wall; current has fed so much life that it grows on top of itself, crowding and using every square centimeter of space. Life in Day-Glo colors; clumps of hydrocoral the size of basketballs, in brilliant purple; sponges in yellow and orange, and gorgonians in red. Among these brilliant creatures live the most vivid scorpionfish, all trying desperately to recreate the wild colors in their skins. We saw tiny juvenile fish, trying to shelter where they could, and finning desperately against the current. And we, too, found temporary shelter, to catch our breath and spend time actually inspecting the rocks coated with critters. Then we would rise, and pit the power of the scooters against the blowing current -- it was the first time I had ever aimed my Sierra somewhere and been unable to make any progress at all. Slowly, we would creep toward our goal, and once we topped the ridge of rock we had aimed for, we would turn and allow the water's might to blow us violently back to where we had started.

It was not a dive for photography (how Laurynn managed a camera is beyond me) or for leisurely inspection of small things, but it was dramatic and colorful and exciting, and challenging, and I am enormously grateful that the boat crew had enough faith in us to let us do it.

We did other amazing dives (including one on Santa Cruz Island that could have gone on forever, if I'd had my way) but nothing equaled the adrenaline rush that was Farnsworth.
Yeah... like I said - some people are much better at descriptions than I am.
airsix wrote:Image
"Laurynn, drop everything and grab your camera!!" These were our pre-breakfast, we're-not-quite-there-yet, welcoming committee.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Finally finally getting around to looking at Channel Islands footage. This first bit was the easiest to tackle, mostly because there was only about 20 minutes of reel to begin with. :)

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/26269168[/vimeo]

Farnsworth Banks is the stuff of legend, and for good reason. It is stunningly beautiful. It is also incredibly challenging to dive. While we were there, 2 other boats anchored in and then left as their first groups of divers got swept away. Anyways, the current was blazing so much that a Cuda on speed 5 barely held ground in some places, and the pinnacles create a surge effect the likes of which I'd not experienced. Attempting to shoot in these conditions was, well, challenging. But in the end, it was 100% worth it. One day I'll be back. It was BEAUTIFUL. The film just gives you the slightest inkling of what we saw and still doesn't capture the full wonder of the place.

Anyways, I've got quite a bit of footage from the rest of the weekend spent in the Channel Islands and hopefully I'll get it shared out here in the next couple of weeks. Enjoy!

Happy diving,
Seainggreen

PS: Have I mentioned how much I love my scooter mount for the camera? There would've been zero footage from this dive without it... :)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Oh, I want to go back SO BAD!!!!!!!! :burntchef:
Great footage, especially under those conditions!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

airsix wrote:Oh, I want to go back SO BAD!!!!!!!! :burntchef:
Great footage, especially under those conditions!
That was a "gets your attention" dive... on experience required, and the spoils of the hunt. This is not "your regularly scheduled programming." The fact that Laurynn got ANY shots under these conditions is beyond me. Well done. :taco: