Divers have better lungs?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Divers have better lungs?

Post by nwscubamom »

I recently took my first Spirometry test for my scientific diver rating (to be able to dive with Universities on various projects) and had such an interesting experience I thought I'd share it with you guys!

A spirometry test is used to measure lung capacity and function.

As Dive Safety Officer for Washington State University in Vancouver, I have had to refer students to take this test, but never had to actually do it myself! I remember one student commenting about how she HATES that test - and I was thinking, what's so hard about blowing into a tube?

I arrived at the Doc's and they weighed and measured my height. Then combined with my age, calcuated a baseline of what my lung capacity should be.

The tester guy put me in this little glass booth, similar to a phone booth, that has a 1" plastic mouthpiece sticking in front of me, into which I should breathe. He put a little clip on my nose so no air would escape through there during the testing. The mouthpiece was rigged up to plastic tubing which then goes into the testing machine and is hooked up to his computer.

He asks me if I smoke (no) or if I EVER smoked (no) or if I have asthma (no).

I was instructed to breathe normally (yeah right) and then take a HUGE breath, one that fills my lungs completely. When given the signal, I am to exhale as quickly and hard as I possibly can, emptying my lungs rapidly. It doesn't end there - I then have to continue exhaling and squeezing out every teensy morsal of air....until he says, OK INHALE!!! At which point I had to inhale as rapidly and completely refill my lungs again. Then hold it, until given the signal from him.

WHEW!!!

After the first time, he comes over to me and patiently says, not bad for a first try! (I'm thinking...I have to do this AGAIN???) Yup, he said, you'll get better results after doing it a few times. This was warmup!

So, I do it again...this time when squeezing all the air out of my lungs, I'm thinking....oh man, this is HARD! And, I got to do it a THIRD time - but thankfully that was the last one. At this point my muscles in my tummy and chest were starting to ache a bit! And my throat felt a bit raspy from all the rapid inhales and exhales.

He swivels the computer monitor around to me, and says, so here's your results. You did BETTER than 100% on every single trial! Not only that, he says, you had results typical of what we see in highly trained ATHLETES!

I looked at him sideways and started laughing...those of you who have seen me know I'm overweight and not exactly in tip-top shape!

So, I started thinking about it, and figured as a regular scuba diver, perhaps all the breath control, and HOW we breathe underwater has contributed to this athletic-lung stuff. As I was diving on Saturday I paid a bit more attention to my breathing, and thought...wow, yes, I really do use full lungs and practice a lot of control when diving.

So do you guys think as divers this puts you ahead in lung function? Do you notice yourself breathing differently underwater?

- Janna (athletic-lung-woman) :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

:naka: :supz:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Janna, I've had a history of asthma, allergies, and upper respiratory infections. I've noticed marked improvements in my spirometry tests since I began diving.

I haven't done yoga, so I don't know for sure, but I bet yoga and diving both improve lung function through conscious breathing control.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

I got great lungs most people I dive w/usually use a 100cf to my 80 or 72 and I always have more air in my tank at the end of the dive...But most people say I have gills im in the water so much...
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Would there be a direct correlation between your air consumption and your lung health I wonder?

i.e. if you're kicking everyone's butt in air consumption you will have a better lung test?

Just wondering... :book:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Tom Nic wrote:Would there be a direct correlation between your air consumption and your lung health I wonder?

i.e. if you're kicking everyone's butt in air consumption you will have a better lung test?

I don't think so. I think no matter what your air consumption is, your lungs become healthier by using them in the way that we do diving.

There are a lot more things than lung capacity that go into air consumption.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Tom Nic wrote:Would there be a direct correlation between your air consumption and your lung health I wonder?

Tom, I wondered the same thing, because although I am probably better than average in air consumption, I'm not exactly amazingly wonderful at it. I would consider myself 'OK'.

Plus the past few years as I've become a little bit more 'out of shape', I've noticed my air consumption going UP quite a bit.

I think air consumption can have, as Calvin said, many factors, one of which would be how efficiently your body actually USES the oxygen you supply to it. And when you're out of shape, your body doesn't use it very well.

So I think it's two different deals.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I def. notice that my breathing is different, especially when I control my buoyancy with my breathing.. I bet its just like excercising other parts of your body! Way cool Janna, Queen of Lungs!!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I notice a difference. But I also think that doing yoga helped my Scuba experience. I have done yoga for about 2 years before I started diving. there is a definite corrolation to breath control and longer dives. I would be interrested to see what my lungs were like. But with no baseline I guess it wouldn't tell me much.

Has anyone noticed a change in health other than lung capacity from diving. I have noticed that since diving I have been way more healthy (knock on wood) and I haven't even had the typical flu or cold since diving. I used to always get colds or flu every other month or so and I have been blessedly free all year (knock on wood again) other than a mild runny nose thing a couple of weeks back.. Just curious...
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

The more u dive the better u get on air for some reason...Ive seen people suck down a 100cf tank ten minutes into the dive there giving me the low on air sign... =D> I just show them the way back to the boat and wave them off to the surface :salute: Then finish the dive or go up w/them....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Re: Divers have better lungs?

Post by Zen Diver »

nwscubamom wrote:
So do you guys think as divers this puts you ahead in lung function? Do you notice yourself breathing differently underwater?

- Janna (athletic-lung-woman) :)
I think it would most certainly put us ahead in lung function. Breathing slowly and deeply would expand all those small alveoli, increase O2 delivery to the tissues, promote healthy lung expansion, increased tidal volume etc. I notice that I breathe differently underwater, more relaxed and regular, and when I find myself stressed at work (with increasing regularity it seems) I visualize being underwater and simulate the breathing that goes along with that.

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

There have also been studies that the extra exercise you put on your heart during periods of compression is good for it too - much like a workout. Valerie, are you familiar with what I'm talking about?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

GillyWeed wrote:
Has anyone noticed a change in health other than lung capacity from diving. I have noticed that since diving I have been way more healthy (knock on wood) and I haven't even had the typical flu or cold since diving. I used to always get colds or flu every other month or so and I have been blessedly free all year (knock on wood again) other than a mild runny nose thing a couple of weeks back.. Just curious...
nope, this winter with a horribly bad cold, pericarditis, another cold, and i think some kind of subclinical flu-thing was the worst sick season for me in recent memory...
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Sounder wrote:There have also been studies that the extra exercise you put on your heart during periods of compression is good for it too - much like a workout. Valerie, are you familiar with what I'm talking about?
No, I'm not but I'll have to do some searching, sounds interesting :book:

-Valerie
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

lamont wrote: nope, this winter with a horribly bad cold, pericarditis, another cold, and i think some kind of subclinical flu-thing was the worst sick season for me in recent memory...
Me, too! I don't ever remember my lungs and sinuses being as hosed up as they have been for the past few weeks. :pale:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Hi Lamont, its been a while since you have been here! (or at least I am just now noticing!)
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:
lamont wrote: nope, this winter with a horribly bad cold, pericarditis, another cold, and i think some kind of subclinical flu-thing was the worst sick season for me in recent memory...
Me, too! I don't ever remember my lungs and sinuses being as hosed up as they have been for the past few weeks. :pale:
Bugs and are bugs, and if exposed they will nail divers and non-divers alike... :axe:

I do think the "salt water rinse" that we get typically with some water in our nose and mouth is good for helping clear things up, though it is by no means a guarantee.
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I used to be a smoker, and still had great lung function and capacity by those tests at that time. I have since quit, but I think a lot of lung efficiency is in your genetics of course, and possibly due to how active you were in your developing years.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Air consumption - general health plays a part, but by far the biggest factor in good air consumption is good diving technique. When you feel in control you tend to relax, and your air consumption goes way down. Good trim, proper weighting, and good propulsion techniques are all major contributors to good air consumption. That's why most people start out with very poor consumption and get much better at it with practice. Proper breathing also plays a part, but not nearly to the degree that good basic diving technique does.

General lung health - I think any recreational activity that provides the opportunity to get a little exercise and breathe clean air will contribute to an improvement in lung health. I suspect that the cleanest air you will ever breathe is the stuff that comes through your regulator. And while diving isn't an aerobic activity (unless your technique is REALLY poor), it does give more exercise than most people would get if they weren't diving.

For many of us, wanting to improve our diving technique also provides a good incentive to put our bodies in generally better shape as well. And anything that motivates you to pay attention to diet and exercise is a good thing.

Just my 2 psi on the topic ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Chasing dungies will get your heart pumping! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Cera wrote:Hi Lamont, its been a while since you have been here! (or at least I am just now noticing!)
Haven't been diving since the middle of jan due to the pericarditis, so I've been quieter online...
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Wow...if something were found to correlate diving with increased overall lung health...there'd be a new way to "sell" our sport.

Janna...it makes me want to go and take a lung test. I think that I took one several years ago...right before I started diving. May find out...and if so, there would be a baseline for before and after.

Gillyweed...I KNOW that yoga helps with diving. I really need to get those dive/yoga weekends put together, huh?

Alas...if anyone figures out how diving can increase your TIME CAPACITY...please let me know!
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

nevermind
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

And while diving isn't an aerobic activity
You could have fooled me, as I schlepped my double 85s up and down and up and down the low-tide expanse of slippery round rocks at Cove 2 for three days this weekend.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames