Day Island & Titlow, 3/12/07, Photos

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Day Island & Titlow, 3/12/07, Photos

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder and I had two marvelous dives today! Here's a link to some of the photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/82311222@N ... 584921886/
We started at O Dark Early with a dive at Day Island Wall. It was my first "Morning Night Dive"! :supz: We walked in the water at about 6 AM, and had to use our lights to see the entry... yesterday's time change made this a VERY early dive! So, essentially we did a night dive that ended in the daylight... very cool.
Because of the darkness we hesitated a bit and missed timing the dive perfectly... but with the light exchange it wasn't a problem at all. I love this dive site especially if it is timed well. You can ride the ebb until slack and then ride the flood back to the entry point. On a light exchange it makes for a fantastic dive. (Be extremely careful diving this site any time other than slack or a light exchange. This is the Narrows, and the currents rip! Also, be as quiet and unobstrusive as possible, as the neighbors do not like divers... unfortunately.)
We saw our first Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker almost immediately on dropping. What a little beauty!
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=1689
We also saw a Grunt Sculpin, 4 GPO, 3 Wolf Eeels, Sailfin Sculpin, Red Irish Lords, a ton of Coonstripe Shrimp, and various Nudibranch. All in all, a perfect 60 minute dive.
We followed up Day Island with a quick trip to Titlow, and a 50 minute dive cut short by cold and the size of our bladders! Great Day, Great Dives... Let's do it again tomorrow! :supz:[/img]
Last edited by Tom Nic on Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

Nice picture of the lumpsucker Tom, glad you had a good coupleof dives.

Nick
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It was amazing! Hands-down the best dive I've ever had in the Pacific NW. There wasn't much missing from this dive - couldn't have asked for more. It was one of those dives where you wish you could stay longer, but it was nice to know I'll be there again in 12 hours!!! Woohoo!!! \:D/

Oh yeah, and we met (kind of) "Mr. Angry/Grumpy." :bootyshake: We'd been SUPER QUIET the whole time we were gearing up. He walked out to get the paper and I said quietly "good morning." He said NOTHING but walked all the way to his mailbox staring me down with a nasty hairy eyeball. When he arrived at the mailbox I said "hello." Again a nasty face ALL THE WAY BACK TO HIS GATE!!! What a d*ck! :sign10: We were being TOTALLY QUIET and POLITE but he was still an ass. Tom and I decided his garage would be PERFECT for a huge "diver down" flag!!! :supz: Seriously though, he's a total d*ck and even when I tried to be friendly and grateful, he just stared at me as though I had no right to be there. If he didn't want people using a PUBLIC BEACH, and parking on PUBLIC STREETS (where HIS car happened to be parked too), he shouldn't have bought a house there. Perhaps next time I'll offer him a laxitive... maybe that'll help him feel better. :bootyshake: Moving forward, I'm just going to continue being polite and friendly when we see him. :axe:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Oh yeah, and we rescued a Pacific Sand Lace (I looked it up Tom) from 2 giant sunflower stars! He was so tired after struggling to escape from the stars (they had him good) that he just sat on my hand resting once freed!

Tom's pony was attacked by another rogue sunflower star too!!! Funny stuff.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Sounder wrote:We'd been SUPER QUIET the whole time we were gearing up... We were being TOTALLY QUIET and POLITE...
How can I believe someone who is wearing the sea equivalent of a lamp shade on his head while diving? :partyman:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Diver_C wrote:
Sounder wrote:We'd been SUPER QUIET the whole time we were gearing up... We were being TOTALLY QUIET and POLITE...
How can I believe someone who is wearing the sea equivalent of a lamp shade on his head while diving? :partyman:
:laughing3: Nice! :laughing3:

(Although it should be noted that this salient observation comes from someone sporting an avatar with a propeller on it's head!)
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Those are great photos Tom! I really like that cute little pink guy at the beginning. Hope I get to see it tomorrow. See ya' in the a.m.

Btw, Tom, I believe you were quiet. But Party Guy...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

After Grateful Diver's warning about "Mr. :angryfire: " we were careful to be quiet. It was tough, but I was able to restrain myself. I also thought about quietly shining my HID into his house from the water... but elected not to. :supz:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:Oh yeah, and we rescued a Pacific Sand Lace (I looked it up Tom) from 2 giant sunflower stars! He was so tired after struggling to escape from the stars (they had him good) that he just sat on my hand resting once freed!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Diver_C wrote:Those are great photos Tom! I really like that cute little pink guy at the beginning. Hope I get to see it tomorrow. See ya' in the a.m.

Btw, Tom, I believe you were quiet. But Party Guy...
Thanks! I updated the initial post with a few linked photos. Enjoy!