90 deg reg elbow

General topics about technical diving.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: 90 deg reg elbow

Post by CaptnJack »

The bungie is not really pulling the tanks aft (towards his feet). In that pic the clips look like that because the tanks are getting light and the tails are rising. That's why he's got the forward drings clipped. Those are only used with AL tanks.

The bungie is looped around the neck and then the stub of the valve where the isolator plug goes. It then clips to the chest dring. The cord you can crossing the neck of his left tank is where it crosses his back. So you can imagine there's a "v" of cord going from chest dring-> around valve-> around isolator stub -> across mid back then around iso stub -> around valve -> chest dring.
In general for tanks at rest the bungie is pulling them forward into your armpits. (just not empty ALs) The boltsnap on the bandclamp pulls them back. That tension is what keeps them from swinging like a stage.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I drew in the "V" formed by the neck bungie. dashed behind his back.
This pulls the tank forward in tight to the armpit. Its hard looking at AL80s because some are light and forward clipped and some are heavy and clipped back. Light AL80s forward clipped will be "pulling back" against the bungie, ditto scooter videos and stuff where theres alot of drag.

The steels will always be back clipped and since their tails don't get light the bungie will be pulling forward.
Attachments
10%20Razor%20Side%20Mount%20System%20Fitting%20-%20Steve%20Martin.jpg
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:I drew in the "V" formed by the neck bungie. dashed behind his back.
This pulls the tank forward in tight to the armpit.
I'm a total internet diver, so I watched a lot of SM videos when I was putting my rig together, and I've seen al80s ALWAYS rigged like that. (heavy or light is a difference of ~2 lbs right?) If I understood your earlier post correctly you're going to rig your clips going pretty much the opposite of what's shown in that picture right? So the clips are pointing from the tank towards your feet? That should work, except you won't be able to pull the tank fwd to see the gauges or re-tuck the hose if you need to.

I thought that was why the Nomad/Recon/etc.. use rails, so that you can do what you're describing, but you can still pull the tank fwd by sliding it up the rails. Bob? Matt? Is that how it works?

I should probably take a class to get all these questions answered, but hacking it together on my own has been kind of fun and educational.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I drew in the "V" formed by the neck bungie. dashed behind his back.
This pulls the tank forward in tight to the armpit.
I'm a total internet diver, so I watched a lot of SM videos when I was putting my rig together, and I've seen al80s ALWAYS rigged like that. (heavy or light is a difference of ~2 lbs right?) If I understood your earlier post correctly you're going to rig your clips going pretty much the opposite of what's shown in that picture right? So the clips are pointing from the tank towards your feet? That should work, except you won't be able to pull the tank fwd to see the gauges or re-tuck the hose if you need to.

I thought that was why the Nomad/Recon/etc.. use rails, so that you can do what you're describing, but you can still pull the tank fwd by sliding it up the rails. Bob? Matt? Is that how it works?

I should probably take a class to get all these questions answered, but hacking it together on my own has been kind of fun and educational.
With steels the clips are going to be basically vertical, the bungie isn't that strong. I guess vertical is the right word?? I'm still just figuring this stuff out but I wouldn't describe the bungie as really pulling forward or back. On me its "in" or medial. Its not attached to anything across your back so there's very little forward or backwards pulling of the bungie on the razor.

Not sure about the armadillo, that has fixed bungies. The nomad I have only seen once and that was in ben martinez's garage in FL and haven't seen one since.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Oh one more thing. (at least on the razor)
It really matters where you put the clips relative to the valve. I didn't believe Kevin when he first told me. But you can see that the clip is on the isolator side of the tank. The bungie rotates the tank and makes the clip tight. Side of tank shown as blue line. Arrow shows the bungie driven rotation.

When you go to pull the tank forward you "unrotate" it and that frees up the clip so that you can pull it forward a few inches. I didn't really understand this until trying to set the clips on the tanks last night. And also realized the necessity of having valves with isolator port plugs. This is not a system where you can take any old single tanks, slap a clip on them and dive SM. In fact a normal single tank valve sucks, there's not enough stub to wrap the bungie around as intended.
Attachments
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote: This is not a system where you can take any old single tanks, slap a clip on them and dive SM. In fact a normal single tank valve sucks, there's not enough stub to wrap the bungie around as intended.
Yep, found that out the hard way. You can wrap the bungee around the neck by unclipping it and threading it under the hoses, but it blows to do that every time.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: This is not a system where you can take any old single tanks, slap a clip on them and dive SM. In fact a normal single tank valve sucks, there's not enough stub to wrap the bungie around as intended.
Yep, found that out the hard way. You can wrap the bungee around the neck by unclipping it and threading it under the hoses, but it blows to do that every time.
Sigh I need more manifolds now.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jake, if you can find a scooter I am going to try to take this rig to the Corsair on Sunday. I'm sure there will be plenty of people laughing at me so one more won't hurt :)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:Jake, if you can find a scooter I am going to try to take this rig to the Corsair on Sunday. I'm sure there will be plenty of people laughing at me so one more won't hurt :)
You're going to go scooting your first time out too? Please have Jeanna get video if I can't make it!

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Jake, if you can find a scooter I am going to try to take this rig to the Corsair on Sunday. I'm sure there will be plenty of people laughing at me so one more won't hurt :)
You're going to go scooting your first time out too? Please have Jeanna get video if I can't make it!
Hell yes dude.
My first time ever on a scooter I did the Bomber from shore with Raydar and Ben's wife (who's name escapes me)

I am bad ass :rjack:
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:My first time ever on a scooter I did the Bomber from shore...
That was my first scooter dive too! :shootself:
Nwbrewer wrote:Please have Jeanna get video if I can't make it!
Duh! That's a given! :evil4:
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Why not just rotate the tanks 180deg and wrap the bungee around the tank handle?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Why not just rotate the tanks 180deg and wrap the bungee around the tank handle?
Reg would be on the ouside that way.

I suppose you could setup the band clamps backwards with the clip on the knob side and swap tanks side to side. That way the valve outlet pointing in so the reg is on the proper side. But you still have the valve knob pointing down which protects the stem alot less than having it in your armpit. I've bent alot of valve stems over the years, in OW its not a big deal. In a cave having the knobs up and a solid stub pointing down is a better choice.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:Reg would be on the ouside that way.

I suppose you could setup the band clamps backwards with the clip on the knob side and swap tanks side to side. That way the valve outlet pointing in so the reg is on the proper side. But you still have the valve knob pointing down which protects the stem alot less than having it in your armpit. I've bent alot of valve stems over the years, in OW its not a big deal. In a cave having the knobs up and a solid stub pointing down is a better choice.
Got it. I assume the the valves pointing away from you is just as problematic as pointing down.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Reg would be on the ouside that way.

Got it. I assume the the valves pointing away from you is just as problematic as pointing down.
The bungie is supposed to rotate them "up". But this will be a function of what "o'clock" position the boltsnap is on the tank and possibly how negative they are. I'd still working on that. If they face out when I pull the tank forward the valve will be rotating into the down position so I'd rather avoid it.

I think it would be hard to bend a valve stem facing out, my elbows would be wacking the rock first.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

We want the video!

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:We want the video!
Next weekend, suit needed fixing this past weekend. And it was stupid cold.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

where are you going for the test drive?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:where are you going for the test drive?
Next Sunday I think, the 22nd. Wanna go? We're scootering in the lake.
spatman
I've Got Gills

90 deg reg elbow

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:
spatman wrote:where are you going for the test drive?
Next Sunday I think, the 22nd. Wanna go? We're scootering in the lake.
Don't think I can do Sunday. Thanks, though.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Seems like people diving the Nomad are mounting their bottles way further back than those diving the Razor.

Compare photo with
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTpC06qL ... e=youtu.be

Sure Lamar is out of the water but still...
Attachments
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Did this happen today?
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

kitsapdiver wrote:Did this happen today?
Yes, it did.

Wasn't as entertaining as I was led to believe it would be :angryblue:
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
kitsapdiver
Submariner

90 deg reg elbow

Post by kitsapdiver »

Oh I am jealous! Sierra in a couple short weeks. Finished my taxes this weekend. Just have to wait for the return!
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

I plan on doing the same... we'll have to plan a Kitsap scooter ralley