Anonymous Mistake, "oops", or "OMG" section

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

We Mods have been talking over this idea- unfortunately, we can't easily concoct a truly anonymous way for folks to submit their tales of woe, except for the option of submitting them to a mod, with the guarantee that we will keep identities secret, even from each other. Please chime in with a "yea" or "Nay" , along with any thoughts you might have- if it seems like there's enough interest, we'll go ahead and put something up on a trial basis. This would, of course, be a "No Hijack, No Flame" sub forum- purely objective. And anyone who wants to post under their actual identity would be allowed to do so. We think it could be an interesting addition to the site- what do you all think?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Anonymous Mistake, "oops", or "OMG" section

Post by ljjames »

excellent idea!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Yea.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Do it like an advice column. Call it "Dear Nailer" and we'll all make up pen names like "Bent in Bremerton" and "Hypoxic in Hoodsport".

But seriously... Yes, it ~could~ be a good addition to the site. There may be unintended consequences though. I think we are more quick to judge or criticize an anonymous case subject than we are a friend or acquaintance. That's fine when the case subject isn't a member of the audience critiquing the events. Might be a bit uncomfortable when people you know and trust start calling you a flaming idiot without knowing it's you they're talking about. Not saying we'd jump right to that sort of behavior, but there is some risk.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:Do it like an advice column. Call it "Dear Nailer" and we'll all make up pen names like "Bent in Bremerton" and "Hypoxic in Hoodsport".

But seriously... Yes, it ~could~ be a good addition to the site. There may be unintended consequences though. I think we are more quick to judge or criticize an anonymous case subject than we are a friend or acquaintance. That's fine when the case subject isn't a member of the audience critiquing the events. Might be a bit uncomfortable when people you know and trust start calling you a flaming idiot without knowing it's you they're talking about. Not saying we'd jump right to that sort of behavior, but there is some risk.
True. The idea would be to keep personal judgements out of it, using our normal "jackboots, lead battons, pepper spray and attack dogs" style of moderation. Thought it might be an interesting experiment, but only 3 people have chimed in so far, so maybe not.....

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Bring it on!
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Eh I can go either way. Do we really have a problem that needs solving? If someone wants accident/mistake etc feedback and doesn't know who to solicite it from then I suppose its a good idea. Although if they don't know someone personally they trust then posting on the internets and sifting through the responses might be an issue. Some of us discuss our mistakes privately and leave it at that. Personally I don't feel an obligation to publicize everything about my diving like a verbal laxative on the off chance someone might get something out of it.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

One of the most powerful tools we have is history. The ability to learn from other people's mistakes, and not have to make the same ones yourself, is how progress is made. I think it's IMPORTANT that we post the mistakes we make, so that others can avoid them. If doing it anonymously encourages more people to contribute, then I think it's great. The IRAP section of the Cave Diver's forum fascinated me when I found it. I think I have read every story there.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

LCF wrote:The ability to learn from other people's mistakes, and not have to make the same ones yourself...
+1

When I read others' accounts of mistakes, I am always asking myself What would I have done?

As far as relating my own errors, part of my urge to do so is because I know how much I enjoy reading other people's accounts. It's a contribution thing. Or maybe contrition. But if someone has some constructive criticism or moral support, beyond my own self-recriminations, that would be a bonus.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm leaning towards doing it at this point. If it doesn't go anywhere, we can always release the posts back into the wild.....

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

It seems there are people interested in reading these kinds if posts, but is anyone interested in actually posting their experiences?

If there is, please feel free to contact one of the moderators and let us know. We'll keep your identity secret if asked to.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

I like the idea... and the bit about keeping the flames down, constructive comments help a lot more than being told you're an idjit and you're going to die...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Ney.
Read only - maybe.

D
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

See if the herd can actually manage itself, go for it.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, after receiving 46 PMs from Jeff Pack containing 132 separate, yet somehow increasingly alarming, screw up stories that he wants to post anonymously, I now know how HE feels about this idea........ :joshsmith:

Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

My first thought is wow, some egos are too big to admit fault so have to post anonymously? Every mistake I've made diving has been a direct result of having failed to follow simple, basic pre-dive checks or something along those lines; air on? Weight on? Lost buddy procedures discussed? Turn around point adhered to? Batteries charged? yada yada yada. My philosophy is if you did it, own it. Every one of us has made a mistake so why be embarrassed to talk about it? I think that it is a great thing to debrief every one of your dives with your dive buddy; what went right, what went wrong, did something happen that left you wondering, etc.

However, if doing anonymous posts will lead to safer diving then go for it.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Lonestar wrote:My first thought is wow, some egos are too big to admit fault so have to post anonymously?
It's not ego, usually. It's getting lambasted and insulted on an Internet forum that often dissuades people from posting personal stories.
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

I think it's an awesome idea! Yay!
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Lonestar wrote:My first thought is wow, some egos are too big to admit fault so have to post anonymously?
It's not ego, usually. It's getting lambasted and insulted on an Internet forum that often dissuades people from posting personal stories.
.....and sometimes leads to newbies getting scared away from diving forever, after a bad dive. We just thought this *might* be a way for people to share stories that could help other divers out. Maybe not, though.

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Joshua Smith wrote:Well, after receiving 46 PMs from Jeff Pack containing 132 separate, yet somehow increasingly alarming, screw up stories that he wants to post anonymously, I now know how HE feels about this idea........ :joshsmith:
douche wipe, it was only 44!

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

ok 45, if you leave out the one I was crying about the other 44...

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Alright alright, 46, but the last one wasnt really a screw up, just a suggestion

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jeff Pack wrote:Alright alright, 46, but the last one wasnt really a screw up, just a suggestion
Ah, who's counting, anyway?

renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Sounds like a reasonable idea although I'll be amused to see how many people manage to sit on their hands and keep from fessing up to their own incident. It certainly wouldn't keep us from making fun of the folks who exchange weight pouches with somebody else on the boat and can't sink or get videoed snagging their light cord on the boat before back rolling off, on video. I've certainly discussed a few bad dives in PM's that others might be able to learn from.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjachetta »

Really, Jeff

douche wipe, it was only 44! :angry: