100 Foot Rock - Saturday, March 31st

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

100 Foot Rock - Saturday, March 31st

Post by John Rawlings »

I dived one of my old favorite dive sites today with Nailer and Calvin. I was diving my KISS CCR, Nailer used his twin LP 95s, while Calvin dived with a single LP 95. Nailer had a (ahem) "fun" time walking down to the dive site with his doubles...let me TELL ya!

I just checked my log book and the last time I was there was in September of 2005.....I've been diving this site for over 2 decades and little has changed there over that time....until recently.

WHAT A HUGE CHANGE!!!!!

There used to be a large, wide trough extending from the edge of the drop-off down to the rock itself. That trough was always full of bark, shells and other debris. The walls of that trough were always full of little critters and rockfish. I didn't even recognize it today! Instead of one long trough there are multiple small ones extending down toward the rock, almost like fissures or cracks. All of them were also almost perfectly clean as a baby's bottom.....no bark....no shells....and virtually No critters to speak of.....it was like they were NEW.

The bottom around the rock has also changed, making it look almost as if the rock itself has been moved or slightly tilted. There was a LOT of silt on the rock that has not normally been there....I even saw a patch of sand on top of it. The rock has always been literally covered with brown/orange Zoanthids, so thick that it was almost like a covering of human hair.....no more! There are only patches of Zoanthids surviving on the rock and most of its surface seems to be bare.

The clay wall that extended directly north from the rock is also "missing in action". Whether it is destroyed or simply buried in sand is a mystery. In its place is a larger wall beginning at about the same spot, but extending downward in a northwesterly direction. We followed it down past 100 FSW before turning back to the rock. The wall itself is new and completely smooth....only a few shrimp and YOTY rockfish were on it.....nowhere NEAR the huge amount of critters that used to make the previous wall their home.

On our dive to the rock I saw a good sized Cabezon, some copper rockfish, and a few young Painted Greenlings....but absolutely NONE of the many Red Irish Lords I used to see there nor any of the Sailfin Sculpins that the rock has always been known for.

I am bummed......

I saw some things that might explain the bottom changes and damage:

There were a lot of individual railroad metal railroad tracks and spikes littering the area around and up and down the tracks immediately above the rock. Additionally, many of the railroad ties appear to be new. I suspect that a Burlington Northern track laying operation has recently been through there and that the constant pounding and vibrations have caused underwater bottom instability....after all, the bottom here is only thick sand and clay. It wouldn't have taken much of such intense vibrations to cause sand to "wash" downward over the upper wall as well as loosening the sand around what we now see as a lower wall. This would also explain the sand and silt we found literally on top of the rock itself and the new series of fissures descending from the edge of the drop-off. Such an expansion of silt and sand would also have negatively impacted the Zoanthid colony on the rock, literally smothering it, as well as forcing such critters as gunnels, grunt sculpins and stubby squid that have always been there before to depart for safer areas where they wouldn't be silted out and buried.

We also noticed that there is now a float at the dive site for dive boats. It is attached to a thick rope that descends down to a steel rod imbedded in the sand immediately above the rock. This, too, is fairly new as there was NO marine growth on the metal rod itself. I suspect that 100 Foot Rock has become a dive site for one or more of the dive charters in the area and the increase in the number of divers visiting this tiny site may also have had a negative impact on the population of marine life there.

It was Josh's first dive there and he thought it was pretty cool.....I, on the other hand, found it quite depressing, having seen it for years and years literally enshrouded in life. Calvin dived the rock last Summer with Maverick and Cuppie and he told me that it had an extremely high population of life at that time. The changes we saw today were recent.

Hopefully once things settle down the rock will recover and we will see the critter population return. I look forward to that day. :pale:

- John
Last edited by John Rawlings on Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow... tough thing... I had looked forward to seeing this site...

I will still do it, and I know I'll enjoy it, but it makes you think. How many sites that we currently dive and love could be altered by activity near or on it?

Thanks for the report John, and for being a "witness" to the passing of underwater life. I guess it underlines how important divers can be for underwater ecology in general!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

So well written report about a sad occurrence. I always worry when I hear about plans to extend Langley marina or Keystone ferry landing. Are we slowly, but surely eliminating fish and critter habitats ? And places to dive? :pale:
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Haven't been up to the site in a week due to business travel, and this is the first one I happened upon. Depressing story John. I hope it recovers.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

John, great report. In addition to the possible causes for the lack of life there, do you think it also could have been related to the time of year? I dived Muk St. Park today with KGDiver and it too seemed strangely devoid of life, compared to what I remember of the clay wall.

Here's a photo of the three amigos.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Aside from the *DEATH MARCH* down to the water, I had a blast- I'm sorry that the marine life isn't as abundant as times past, but I really liked the topography of this site- you sort of fly down a little canyon, and then, suddenly, there's a freaking boulder bigger than my house sitting there- pretty dramatic!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Calvin wrote: In addition to the possible causes for the lack of life there, do you think it also could have been related to the time of year? I dived Muk St. Park today with KGDiver and it too seemed strangely devoid of life, compared to what I remember of the clay wall.
To some extent.....possibly.....but not the level of the decline that we saw. I think that's caused by the significant change in the underwater terrain and habitat. I've dived the rock virtually every month of the year and I have never, ever seen it this devoid of life. The Zoanthids on the rock itself have always been a constant and I was literally stunned at the population loss.

I think that the main reason we saw so few critters on the wall is that it is obviously new - smooth with very few holes, nooks and crannies to hide in. Once more holes are created I'm certain that they will be occupied by something.

I'm extremely optimistic that the rock and its surrounding walls will once again "bloom" with critters once the noise and vibrations stop. I think this is a temporary thing, but it completely took me by surprise....to me it was like going to my grandparents' old farm and discovering that the house had partially burned down!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

man that sucks to hear that. Good picture of you guys, thats cool that everyone had a good time and nailer liked the walk.

We usually jog the tracks with full gear on, well at least thats how calvin and i did it last year :vom:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Maverick wrote:and nailer liked the walk.

We usually jog the tracks with full gear on
I skip down the tracks... :bootyshake:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I dived Muk St. Park today with KGDiver and it too seemed strangely devoid of life, compared to what I remember of the clay wall.

Calvin, did you notice that some rather large chunks of the wall have fallen off? A few weeks ago we dove the park at Mukilteo, and overshot the wall at first. Down around 90 FSW are some big chunks of the wall that appear to have fallen off and slid down slope. At the time I figured it was due to just natural decay of the wall from tidal/wave action, or maybe siesmic activity. Maybe Burrlington Northern, or the sounder train has something to do with it?

Jake
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Nwbrewer wrote: Calvin, did you notice that some rather large chunks of the wall have fallen off? A few weeks ago we dove the park at Mukilteo, and overshot the wall at first. Down around 90 FSW are some big chunks of the wall that appear to have fallen off and slid down slope. At the time I figured it was due to just natural decay of the wall from tidal/wave action, or maybe siesmic activity. Maybe Burrlington Northern, or the sounder train has something to do with it?

Jake
That's not unusual for that site and actually happens pretty regularly.

I'm curious, though, and would like to see the "big chunks" that you describe at 90 FSW. What part of the wall were they beneath? Where the wall is at its tallest?

- John

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Yes, in that area. They were fairly good sized pieces, I'd say around 4'-5- of length on the wall, maybe that high, and 1'-1.5' thick. I think they were towards the north end of the wall, we entered a little too far north that day due to current, and missed the wall on the way down, and then turned and came back up where we first found the chunks, then up further to the wall.

The tides don't look to good for this friday, but next friday afternoon the tides look like they'd be do-able for a dive there. If you'd like some company to take a look let me know.

Jake
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I don't know that I got to the chunks, we had to turn before the end of the wall due to current (which changed on us 3X during the dive!).

I did see other little outcroppings of the same clay-ish material though at different depths, I didn't consider them broken off from the wall, just thought that there were various deposits of the same substrate.

We did find quite a few critters in the grass, just a bit deeper than the wall.