Redondo Sixgill

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Redondo Sixgill

Post by dphershman »

Andy and I decided to try to find the Sixgill at Redondo this morning. We went down to nearly 95 feet and searched, but gave up and decided to turn around. Thats when we found him. (I think he was following us.) I managed to get off a few shots as he swam by.

this is my third Sixgill sighting in 8 years of diving. Andy can now proudly state that he is no longer a 'sixgill virgin'. :)

Along the way, I found that the baby wolf eel changed his hangout

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo Sixgill

Post by Scubak »

Very nice!
What time?
It is so nice to see some activity of these 6 gills.
Very nice pictures as well.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Nice!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Awesome!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Scubak wrote:Very nice!
What time?
It is so nice to see some activity of these 6 gills.
Very nice pictures as well.
Kirsten
Thanks! It was about 10:45 AM on Sunday. Was surprised to see one in the daytime, the other two were evening encounters.

Dan
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

We were hoping for a view at Redondo today as well, but alas.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:We were hoping for a view at Redondo today as well, but alas.
Instead, we saw the juvie wolfeel chomping on a crab.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

spatman wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:We were hoping for a view at Redondo today as well, but alas.
That was totally worth it! I'm still envious of all the six gill sightings. Someday.....
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Penopolypants wrote:
spatman wrote:
That was totally worth it! I'm still envious of all the six gill sightings. Someday.....
It was probably stalking us and wondering how tasty that strange turtle would be
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

citycatred wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:
spatman wrote:
It was probably stalking us and wondering how tasty that strange turtle would be
It wouldn't find you tasty. No meat on those bones.
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Congratulations and welcome to the 6 gill club, the rest of you, get your arses out there and find one!!!!
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Thursday night.... we shall see. Going to strap some pork chops and/or bacon on Bassman and see if that helps.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

KneeDeep wrote:Thursday night.... we shall see. Going to strap some pork chops and/or bacon on Bassman and see if that helps.
Yep! I'm all In!! :taco:
Bring on the Bacon!! :burntchef:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

very awesome!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
jtaylor23
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jtaylor23 »

Many years ago (80's vintage) I did a night dive at Redondo. At the surface my buddy and I looked at each other, said "don't get lost! Ready?" and submerged. Didn't see him again 'til we were on the beach. As I was alone, I dropped straight down to the bottom and didn't move. Two things happened to make the dive awesome. Found a brand new Playboy. Very carefully opened it and checked out the centerfold at about 40 ft by flashlight. Also got swarmed by just hatched octo's. Don't even remember who the buddy was, but I remember that dive!
Sun went down in honey.
Moon came up in wine.
Stars were spinnin' dizzy,
Lord, the band kept us so busy
We forgot about the time.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Stayed up way past my bedtime last night to go sixgill hunting with Scott Lundy. Found one. Cute little bugger. We spent maybe 10 minutes playing together. Only got a couple keepers ... I guess I was too excited to pay attention to focus. But since this was my first sixgill sighting in several years, I was happy. Lundy is no longer a sixgill virgin. If the images on his LCD were anything to go by, he got some nice shots.

Here's mine ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Grateful Diver wrote:Stayed up way past my bedtime last night to go sixgill hunting with Scott Lundy. Found one. Cute little bugger. We spent maybe 10 minutes playing together. Only got a couple keepers ... I guess I was too excited to pay attention to focus. But since this was my first sixgill sighting in several years, I was happy. Lundy is no longer a sixgill virgin. If the images on his LCD were anything to go by, he got some nice shots.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
What depth were you at?
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I really have to make it up there for a night dive.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Love that second pic!

Jim (ooh, just noticed this is post #300! \:D/ )
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

We were down in the trough ... maxed at about 108 and found the shark somewhere between there and 100 fsw.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The really amazing thing here is this guy is sticking around and allowing lots of people to see him and get their 6 gill fix!

Bob the second shot is awesome. Where is the trough you mentioned? I don't think I have ever been below a 100 ft at Redondo.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Grateful Diver wrote:We were down in the trough ... maxed at about 108 and found the shark somewhere between there and 100 fsw.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

the marks on the top of its snout suggest that its the same one that we saw on Saturday morning. We saw the little guy in the same place you've described. It appeared to be following us as we searched for it--- we found it when we turned around.

Nice pics!

Dan
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

dphershman wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:We were down in the trough ... maxed at about 108 and found the shark somewhere between there and 100 fsw.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

the marks on the top of its snout suggest that its the same one that we saw on Saturday morning. We saw the little guy in the same place you've described. It appeared to be following us as we searched for it--- we found it when we turned around.

Nice pics!

Dan
I thought so too, Dan ... I think it's the same one you saw, and exhibiting the same behavior. It would appear to swim away and then turn around and come back. A couple times I had to fend it off with my camera it got so "friendly".

The trough is south and west of the bottle field. There's nothing there except a dip ... and 108 is the deepest I've ever been there. Took us about 10 minutes to swim back to the carousel boat.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow 10 min to the Carousel boat? that's a pretty good distance into the great unknown. He's just a baby out there all by himself. It's no wonder he follows people around.

Thanks Bob
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dusty2 wrote:Wow 10 min to the Carousel boat? that's a pretty good distance into the great unknown. He's just a baby out there all by himself. It's no wonder he follows people around.

Thanks Bob
We were on doubles and brought O2 for deco afterward ... which I would recommend if you're planning to spend any time out there ... by the time we hit our 20-foot stop our average depth for the entire dive was 88 feet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)