Alien from Keystone

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Alien from Keystone

Post by Jan K »

Looking for some suggestions on this 3/4 inch long critter I encountered at Keystone. Shallow water, near surface, swimming backwards, some kind of shrimp? Not in my books... :book: Thanks.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Awesome! And no, I haven't a clue what it is!

The angle of your picture truly looks alien. I suppose that if you see it's "legs" as antennae you can kind of see a shrimp head, but then the rest of it almost looks like dragonfly wings. The "legs" don't look like "regular" shrimp legs, and I suppose the alien's "head" could be a shrimp tail....

Amazing.... Great work as always Jan!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

OK, Jan.....you're creeping me out now!

WOW! I've never seen anything like this....at least NOT out of a sci-fi movie!!

You might try contacting Claudia Mills. She is a U.W. scientist specializing in gelatinous zooplankton, especially jellyfishes and ctenophores. Her base is at the Friday Harbor Laboratories up in the San Juan Islands. She is the co-author, along with David Wrobel, of the book, Pacific Coast Pelagic Invertebrates - A Guide to the Common Gelatinous Animals

Here's her home page:

http://faculty.washington.edu/cemills/

And here's her contact information:

cemills@u.washington.edu

I'd bet that she might have a decent idea as to what this is!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Thank you John for the lead, I e-mailed her the picture. Hopefully we get some answer to this and I will be able add the name to it, so others can learn too. And maybe get a better picture of it. My point and shoot camera shutter delay is not well suited for fast swimming, shy creatures, however alien then might be.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

That is......creepy looking. Please tell us when you find out what it it!
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

thats the alien from the abyss!!!! very cool movie. what ever it is it has to be what they modeled the aliens after. very cool
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I think it's a shrimp, but I'm not confident enough in my assesment that I want to go diving again until you tell us what it is.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

no clue on what it is! nice find though, when i dove keystone, i didin't see that.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!