Weekend Getaway on Hood Canal

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Weekend Getaway on Hood Canal

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

Some non-diving friends, Justin and I went out to Hood Canal for a long weekend of diving and relaxing. We rented a house near Quilcene with a beautiful view of Quilcene Bay:

Untitled by decidedlyodd, on Flickr

Although we came up Thursday afternoon, because some work came up unexpectedly on Friday, we both ended up working remotely that day instead of diving like we had originally planned. But fortunately, since we were already over here, we were able to head over to Octopus Hole at 4pm for a late afternoon shore dive. After following various dubious directions, we finally did find the right turnout for the site. Once underwater though, we never actually found the wall or any octopuses, but still saw some good critters.

For Saturday, we booked with Pacific Adventure to do some boat dives out of Brinnon. We did Pulali Point West Wall and Pinnacle, which seemed to be pretty standard sites for the charter.

Vis at both sites was about 5ft down to about 30ft, but then opened up really nicely below that (25ft? 30ft?). We saw quite a few critters. Lots of rockfish, large lingcod and assorted small fish, a few GPOs and a few wolfies.

Don and Krista did a great job taking care of us with food and drinks, picking out great sites and just making for a nice, relaxing day of diving. Plus, it was sunny and relatively warm--a perfect day for being out on the water. We'll definitely be back again in the future.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Weekend Getaway on Hood Canal

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pics!!!

You are rockin' that macro lens - I love the decorated....

Thanks for posting!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Lovely capture on the vermilion rockfish! I tried and tried to get them when we dove the Pinnacle, and none of them would sit still long enough for a portrait.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

Great Photos! It always nice to see new faces on the boat. Thanks for Diving with us, I hope we'll see you again soon!
Don
Pacific Adventure