SITKA 2013 - LET'S POST HERE

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

SITKA 2013 - LET'S POST HERE

Post by Norris »

With the Sitka trip coming up and people arriving as soon as tomorrow, I have elected to start the thread where we can have our shenanigans. I understand that there are some other Sitka threads out there but wanted to consolidate the trip reports we will be posting in one thread!!!!

Let the games begin!!!!

:eric: :partydance: :eric: :partydance: :supz: :eric: :supz:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: SITKA 2013 - LET'S POST HERE

Post by Jeremy »

I have a question - why do you guys do this in winter?
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Jeremy wrote:I have a question - why do you guys do this in winter?
Because there is more darkness for night diving.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

And it is a lot like here, better viz in the winter.

Additionally, if there is anything that will make someone appreciate diving here in the winter, it is a nice chilly week of diving in Sitka.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

renoun wrote:
Because there is more darkness for night diving.
All packed finally and Bassman and I will head for SeaTac at noon. Dang it takes a lot of crap to do a cold water trip.... :)

Another reason we go in the Winter is that Summer is busy season in SE Alaska. This trip is possible for us because of the kindness and generosity of Diver Dave, Herb, and probably others I am forgetting to mention. Dave is usually crazy busy in the Summer while in Winter things slow down enough for them to have guests.... At least until the sacroe in March.

So big thanks in advance to our NWDC Sitka crew for making this trip happen! :notworthy:

Now to take a deep breath and breathe out the packing stress... :spatman: :partydance: :taco:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Ahhhhhh!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

In the board room at SeaTac - plane leaves around 3! Does Bassman look anxious, or what? You should hear the conversations with TSA... :)
Attachments
IMAG0857.jpg
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Havent seen you in a while Keith. I think you forgot your belly at home, as I seem to remember you having that the last time I saw you?
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Guys, have a great trip, I am looking forward to see lots of pictures from above and under !
Wish I was able to join you, at least I can follow your adventure here :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Norris wrote:Havent seen you in a while Keith. I think you forgot your belly at home, as I seem to remember you having that the last time I saw you?
brown noser :smt064
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Houston, the Eagle advance team has landed.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Tom Nic wrote:Houston, the Eagle advance team has landed.
Ill see you tomorrow!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Bassman, Sitkadiver, Diver Dave, Diver Dave Jr and myself did a night dive in the Sitka Channel. Viz was 25', water was 39 degrees, and there were bottles, Giant Nudibranch's and their prey everywhere. Fun, cold dive. We will sleep well tonight!

Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Time off work & the viss can get over 100ft this time of year.........Was a great dive in the channel will post a few pic's of the bottles we found in the morning....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Diver_Dave wrote:
Time off work & the viss can get over 100ft this time of year.........Was a great dive in the channel will post a few pic's of the bottles we found in the morning....
Great shots there Tom Nic..
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Last night was a fun dive. It was also a learning experience for me. Dave and Dave Jr. scored some nice bottles. I've been focusing on the broken china patch behind the Forest Service boat, but I see now I need to move out in the middle and closer to the bridge.
Here's Keith getting back on the boat
Here's Keith getting back on the boat
Some treasure
Some treasure
Dave and Dave cleaning the catch
Dave and Dave cleaning the catch
I hope the forcast gets better, that freezing rain last night was brutal!
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Only in Alaska! Diving in 39 degree water in freezing rain in the middle of the night. You guys is cwazy! :nutty:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dusty2 wrote:Only in Alaska! Diving in 39 degree water in freezing rain in the middle of the night. You guys is cwazy! :nutty:
Cwazy, but happy! :) That's all that matters, right?! :tomnic: :calvin: :joshsmith: :angelblue:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

It depends on your point of view. My wife says we are all cwazy!
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

I found this bronze thing last night. At least I think it's bronze. It could be brass since it light color is shiny. I'm guessing bronze, however, becuase the green copper patina can be seen:

People at work think it's some sort of line holder for a sail boat, but I have no idea.
IMG_7736.JPG
IMG_7737.JPG
If you know what this is used for or what it's called I'd be grateful for the knowledge.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

The spoke of an old ships wheel perhaps.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Sweet pics Tom. That first nudi is really cool.

I like the pen for size comparison, but where is Keith's toothbrush? He brought that to Redondo last week for sizing things up. Hopefully he is not using it after the dive???
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Scubie Doo wrote:Sweet pics Tom. That first nudi is really cool.

I like the pen for size comparison, but where is Keith's toothbrush? He brought that to Redondo last week for sizing things up. Hopefully he is not using it after the dive???

He does have a sparkling white smile. :angelblue:
-Charles Lindbergh
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

It's calles a belaying pin. Was driving myself nuts trying to recall the proper term. A diver named Mistral over on Vintage Scuba Supply gave me the answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belaying_pin
-Charles Lindbergh
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

As soon as I saw the pic I thought it was a belaying pin...but as I scrolled down I see that sitkadiver beat me to it! If you read a lot of seafaring war stories like I have (Horatio Hornblower and such) you would immediately recognize the shape!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/