B.C Fix

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

B.C Fix

Post by Diver_Dave »

How to fix a BC...
Attachments
Step A
Step A
Step B
Step B
Step C
Step C
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: B.C Fix

Post by Nwbrewer »

I'm not sure I understand. No inflation? or did you move it to a bottom bulkhead like a SM BC?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Removed totally....Never used it ever....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Diver_Dave wrote:Removed totally....Never used it ever....
Why bother with the BC at all if you never use the inflation? Seems like a backplate and straps would be easier and less stuff to sink.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

So do you only use your suit for buoyancy control?
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

thefeve wrote:So do you only use your suit for buoyancy control?
I can attest to the fact that DiverDave only uses his drysuit for boyancy control. He's nutty like that!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

thefeve wrote:So do you only use your suit for buoyancy control?
That would be an affirmative.

(answering for Diver Dave based on my observations, with no comment on the wisdom or lack of wisdom of said arrangement. By reading this post you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the posters, NWDC, your drinking buddies, your Mom, and everyone who has ever given you diving advice from any dive accidents you may or may not have whether resulting from said advice or one's own general inattention to detail and personal IQ.)

:calvin: :joshsmith: :tomnic:
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Impressive, errr something... I can't say I'd ever want to disconnect the ability to use the bladder, but hey, to each his own I guess!
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

thefeve wrote:Impressive, errr something... I can't say I'd ever want to disconnect the ability to use the bladder, but hey, to each his own I guess!
YUP, just write that off as "not for me".
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Might as well strip all that bladder crap off and use the plastic plate with a piece of continuous webbing...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Okay, I'll bite... Doesn't matter if you dont use it as your primary method of inflation. Redundancy, anyone?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Mortuus wrote:Okay, I'll bite... Doesn't matter if you dont use it as your primary method of inflation. Redundancy, anyone?
[sarcasm]Redundancy is so old fashioned...[/sarcasm]
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus wrote:Okay, I'll bite... Doesn't matter if you dont use it as your primary method of inflation. Redundancy, anyone?
Swim up, tread water.

Besides if Dave's suit fails during most of the year he'd probably walk on the <40F water to get out faster.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

CaptnJack wrote:
Swim up, tread water.

Besides if Dave's suit fails during most of the year he'd probably walk on the <40F water to get out faster.
Or walk on the bottom to the shore. :)
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Nope. Redundancy is not for everyone.

D
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

defied wrote:
Nope. Redundancy is not for everyone.

D
:goodpost:
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Well clearly.... Reduncancy is, however, for people who want to be taken seriously as a diver. I wish people would stop pussyfooting around this in an attempt to appear PC though. Show some backbone. Yes, to each is own is alright until some new diver sees it and follows suit.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Mortuus wrote:Well clearly.... Reduncancy is, however, for people who want to be taken seriously as a diver.
Not everyone wants to be taken seriously in a sport they are doing for fun.
Mortuus wrote: I wish people would stop pussyfooting around this in an attempt to appear PC though. Show some backbone. Yes, to each is own is alright until some new diver sees it and follows suit.
Perhaps we haven't met.

There's no PC here. The ocean is there for anyone who wants to be in it. There are so many different styles of diving, and everyone dives the way they want. If a new diver likes the way someone dives, they will follow it. It's really not our business or problem.

I think you might want to pull the "no" before the Koolaid man out of your sigline. >0]

Keep in mind, DIR diving isn't that old compared to a lot of other styles. It's not the end all, be all, diving format.

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus wrote:Well clearly.... Reduncancy is, however, for people who want to be taken seriously as a diver. I wish people would stop pussyfooting around this in an attempt to appear PC though. Show some backbone. Yes, to each is own is alright until some new diver sees it and follows suit.
No you're wrong. Lots and LOTs of people dive without redundant buoyancy. Probably 80% of the dives in the world are done in a wetsuit, jacket BC with a single tank. You don't see many of those divers pinned to the bottom - actually none of them.

On those straps, at most Dave has about 8lbs of gas (single 130). If his suit fails, anyone and everyone wearing fins can swim up 8lbs. If he doesn't want your pussyfoot BC, he's not obligated to use one.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Mortuus wrote:Well clearly.... Reduncancy is, however, for people who want to be taken seriously as a diver. I wish people would stop pussyfooting around this in an attempt to appear PC though. Show some backbone. Yes, to each is own is alright until some new diver sees it and follows suit.
Well the fishing is good today, as we certainly got a bite.

It's pretty obvious to many of us that Dave posted this as a joke, and yes he doesnt use a BCD. The reason many are not showing this "backbone" you mention is that we recognized his post for what it was. It was a poke and being contrary to some agencies beliefs. Well maybe ALL agencies for that matter.
Dave is a great diver and during some times of the year has more hours underwater in a week, then many of us have in a year.
So no need to look out for the new divers Mortuus, I dont assume anyone would look at this post as a DIY for fixing a BC,,,,

:rofl:
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Norris wrote:I dont assume anyone would look at this post as a DIY for fixing a BC,,,,
The old inflator was actually the scary bit! :p
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

CaptnJack wrote:
Norris wrote:I dont assume anyone would look at this post as a DIY for fixing a BC,,,,
^^^ That laid me out when I saw this post. I zoomed in on the pic frantically searching for the inflator, and then realized I'd been had. 0]

D
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

CaptnJack wrote:
Good call
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

CaptnJack wrote:
No you're wrong. Lots and LOTs of people dive without redundant buoyancy. Probably 80% of the dives in the world are done in a wetsuit, jacket BC with a single tank. You don't see many of those divers pinned to the bottom - actually none of them.

On those straps, at most Dave has about 8lbs of gas (single 130). If his suit fails, anyone and everyone wearing fins can swim up 8lbs. If he doesn't want your pussyfoot BC, he's not obligated to use one.
And in addition, 90% of Dave's dives are working dives, not recreational ones. Last video I saw of him he was standing on the bottom of a dock in tennis shoes with a big arse sledge pounding away on zinc in about 30fsw. Typically he dives a harness that will allow him to attach a tank to it, an inflator hose and one second stage off his first stage (no secondary). And so, no... I'm not headed for Dave if I go OOA, and no, I'm not going to configure my gear like he does (or do alot of other things that he does, for that matter!), but it works for him in his context, so good on him. :)

(OH, and that is why I always go to Sitka with a buddy!!!)
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

how much for that pink umbrella :smt064
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White