Dive Computers

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
rjarnold
Submariner

Dive Computers

Post by rjarnold »

So, I was thinking of getting my husband a dive computer for our anniversay/his birthday. I like my Sherwood computer, but I'd like to know what else is on the market and this way we try different things.

SO, how about the Suunto Cobra with compass? I just read on another link that Suunto will void any warranty if it's bought online - bummer. I do like to get things at the LDS anyways though.

Also, other suggestions? I know we both like the larger style (easier to read), so small wristwatches are out.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I dove a cobra for my first 60 dives. They're fantastic- really reliable, tough, easy to use, computers. My one complaint is that they're very conservative on repetitive dives, but that's actually a good thing- just didn't fit my style of diving. I bet there are some deals on the cobra out there, now that the Cobra 2 is out. The digital compas looks interesting- but I think I'll stick to the "old school" SK-7 for now.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i had a cobra w/ compass ( air integrated ) but sold it after about 40 dives, it was a bit to complicated for me. i did go to a wrist mount and love it, the one i have has a large display, very easy to use and will go thru advanced nitrox if he goes that route. plus they are 400 new! hope this helps a bit, if you want to check it out we can meet at cove 2 again.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/computers/nitekduo.shtml

and drexpress will cover warranties and they have great customer service.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Yeah, I've heard they're pretty conservative...which should be interesting with my Sherwood, as I was told it's pretty liberal.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Nailer99 wrote:I dove a cobra for my first 60 dives. They're fantastic- really reliable, tough, easy to use, computers.
dude i just said i thought they were too complicated for me, your makin me look dumb :bootyshake:
Last edited by Burntchef on Sat May 05, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Burntchef wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:I dove a cobra for my first 60 dives. They're fantastic- really reliable, tough, easy to use, [/color]computers.
dude i just said i thought they were too complicated for me, your makin me look dumb :bootyshake:
Well, I never actually used mine- I just dove with it connected to my tank.....I'll never forget how we had 3 divers gathered around the back of my van during my advanced eanx/ deco class, trying to figure out how to set it for something besides air...... we were all guys, and of course none of us actually read the manual, but we were all convinced we could just figure it out. We all gave up, and just decided that diving 24% and leaving it set for air would add a level of conservatism.....yeah. Conservatism. Maybe they're not that easy to use. At least, if you want to use Nitrox. But if you just dive air, they're really simple- hook it up and read the display!
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Haha, well I DID have to read my manual for the Sherwood computer in order to figure out how to switch it to Nitrox. But you know...that was kind of easy guys, haha ;) I think Greg will be diving Nitrox soon so it definitely has to be nitrox-ready.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I would vote for the Suunto Vytec or just get another Sherwood like yours..
K
"Let's go diving!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I love my Vytec -- very easy on old eyes. I think the Vyper has the same display, without the transmitter capability (which I don't use, anyway). I have the Vytec in one of Deep Sea Supply's wrist mounts, and they rock.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I adore my TUSA Sapience. Slim profile, huge display, and that way cool vibrating feature (which you can choose instead of audible alarms). Not mixed gases, but it can do nitrox up to 99%.

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'll show you my VT3 sometime soon too... I think Mr. Froggie would like it too. Suunto Cobra is a great computer though.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Vibration huh? I might have to check into that - I *rarely* hear my 'audible' alarm on my computer.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Mmm, you know I'm not quite sure why one would go with a wrist computer if it doesn't have a transmitter, since you'll still need a console and hose to read your psi.... And I'm thinking a wrist computer with transmitter is going to be out of my price range.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I love my Oceanic ProPlus2. It's perfect for the kind of diving I do. It only does nitrox to 50%, and is attached by hose to the 1st stage. My favorite part of it is HUGE desplay, numbers, etc. Very easy to use, though you still need to read the manual.

Lots of good computers out there! Very different, I imagine, than 15 years or so ago...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Well, I'll chime in on my Cochran EMC-16. I've only got about 10 dives on it, but I really like it. I like not having any buttons to mess with, and while programing it does take a little bit to get used to, it's pretty easy once you have it figured out. The display is backlit and has large, easy to read numbers.

I have mine wrist mounted, and got rid of my console in favor of just an SPG. I went with the wrist mount after diving with a couple of friends who had theirs mounted that way.

For the type of diving I do, it's nice to have it right there on my wrist, rather than having to go looking for the console all the time. It's especially nice when doing free ascents in the murky PNW waters. Got tired of having to go looking for my console when dealing with a DSMB or doing an air share ascent.

Jake
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

rjarnold wrote:Mmm, you know I'm not quite sure why one would go with a wrist computer if it doesn't have a transmitter, since you'll still need a console and hose to read your psi.... And I'm thinking a wrist computer with transmitter is going to be out of my price range.
Well, the reason I run a bare SPG with a wrist-mount computer is simplicity, and to keep things uncluttered. Now that I know where my air consumption is I simply check my SPG every 5 minutes or so to make sure what I'm tracking in my head meshes with reality. On the other hand, there are times where I am checking my depth or time much more frequently (on ascents, for instance).

So, the wrist mount isn't so much about losing a hose as it is streamlining one (elimentating a console) while at the same time recognizing that checking your pressure and checking your depth happens at different intervals. Plus, when I most want to be checking my depth (on ascent) I really don't want to have to be fumbling with a bulky console. A quick glance at the wrist is all I need there.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I also run spg on a hose and a wrist mounted computer... although mine does have wireless air. I like the redundancy because the computer might be running windows and show me the blue screen of death. #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

I like my AI Cobra but I took the compass off and put it in a DSS boot. There are many reasons why I favor the Cobra over an SPG -- ease of reading (for me); gives me lots of real time info; is a redundant source of info regarding depth/time; easy to download for historical info including air useage; ease of use for repetitive dives, especially while on trips.

Much has been said about Suunto's "conservative" nature, but, at least in my experience, the difference between its program and others (including ratio deco/minimum deco/deco planner) is not all that significant -- perhaps a few minutes difference (and really, especially on multiple dives, do you want to constantly run up against NDL's?).

I've put my Cobra on a short high pressure hose and attach it to a retractor (I'm gonna die!) clipped to a D-ring on my left hip. It stays in my slipstream, I can easily pull it up to read with one hand (even hit the backlight button if its dark) and it goes right back to my waist without fumbling around with a bolt-snap.

I'm one big vote in favor of it.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

rjarnold wrote:Mmm, you know I'm not quite sure why one would go with a wrist computer if it doesn't have a transmitter, since you'll still need a console and hose to read your psi.... And I'm thinking a wrist computer with transmitter is going to be out of my price range.
Not at all- I wear an spg clipped off to my right chest d-ring and a computer on my right wrist- I can usually read my tank pressure with a quick glance. I found that even when I had a computer that would calculate my air time for me, either wirelessly or through a hose, I just never trusted it- all I wanted to see was PSI remaining.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Peter Guy wrote:
I've put my Cobra on a short high pressure hose and attach it to a retractor (I'm gonna die!)
Another senseless retractor fatality in the making! When will they learn! :axe:

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Peter Guy wrote: I've put my Cobra on a short high pressure hose and attach it to a retractor (I'm gonna die!) clipped to a D-ring on my left hip. It stays in my slipstream, I can easily pull it up to read with one hand (even hit the backlight button if its dark) and it goes right back to my waist without fumbling around with a bolt-snap.

I'm one big vote in favor of it.
I thought you changed this?

One of the arguments against such a setup is that it is difficult for your buddies to read. I cannot, for instance, read the digital readout on a Cobra by glancing at it from a few feet away, but with an SPG, I can at least get a relative sense for where my buddy's pressure is. So, if you or your buddies care abotu such things, this is at least something to consider.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Nailer99 wrote:I wear an spg clipped off to my right chest d-ring
Nailer-

How do you route your HP hose? Is it coming off your right post on this setup? Or, did you mean you have the SPG clipped off on your left D ring?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:I wear an spg clipped off to my right chest d-ring
Nailer-

How do you route your HP hose? Is it coming off your right post on this setup? Or, did you mean you have the SPG clipped off on your left D ring?
Nope- my config is pretty darn close to yours, actually. It comes off my left post, and then up under my left arm and clips off to my right chest D ring. It's great- out of the way and easy to read!

rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Not at all- I wear an spg clipped off to my right chest d-ring and a computer on my right wrist- I can usually read my tank pressure with a quick glance. I found that even when I had a computer that would calculate my air time for me, either wirelessly or through a hose, I just never trusted it- all I wanted to see was PSI remaining.[/quote]

You mean your computer didn't show you PSI? Or you didn't like seeing PSI in digital output? My current computer has digital output and I haven't had any trouble trusting it...of course, I've never really used anything but digital output either.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

My first two computers showed both tank pressure and either "Air Time Remaining" or No deco time remaining, whichever was the lesser amount. I found that I was really only looking at my deco time and tank pressure. That, coupled with the kinds of dives I was starting to do argued in favor of a simple SPG and a different computer than either the Cobra or the VT Pro I had at the time. They're both great computers, especially the Cobra.