LOST SOLA600 at Waterman's wall

General banter about diving and why we love it.
morayeel
Just Settling In

LOST SOLA600 at Waterman's wall

Post by morayeel »

I dove at Waterman's wall on Sunday, March 17, and lost Sola 600 with short arm attached. The whole arm fell from tray during surface swim, and I did not notice until I was away from boat. on my return I looked around 45' deep around anchor, but could not find it. probably it sit deeper than that.

I would really appreciate it if someone find it.
Thank you.

Mikiko
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: LOST SOLA600 at Waterman's wall

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
Sorry to hear you lost this!

Did you let Howie from Aluminator Water Taxi know? He occasionally runs charters out there and may be able to have people keep an eye out for it.

Hope you find it!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
morayeel
Just Settling In

Post by morayeel »

Yes, that is the boat I was on. He will get me GPS coordination, too.
Thank you for the advise.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i dont have a problem coming out there with my scooter , as long as i have some other scooter peeps to do that dive with me .. im not to fond of diving there since Chads death many years ago

rest in Peace chad
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... +shop+chad
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I'll go with ya Chris, I've got some connections to do this as a shore dive there from the Homeowners park.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There are no good tides for Waterman's until mid April. It needs to be slack before a smaller ebb. Personally I don't dive there when the upcoming ebb will be larger than -2.5knts. The 17th through the 21st of April has some good tides in the early afternoon, but check the times and satisfy yourself they are reasonable.

There are large downwellings on Waterman's during flood tides - beware.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

We're not getting into this again I hope...
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

H20doctor wrote:i dont have a problem coming out there with my scooter , as long as i have some other scooter peeps to do that dive with me .. im not to fond of diving there since Chads death many years ago

rest in Peace chad
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... +shop+chad
That's a long way for a ghost to swim. Then again, Waterman's wall is a much better site.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

then get the gps, richard ? wanna drop me and you with your boat ? do a search pattern on my dive x , and find the sucker..
Is this current on slack too much for a dive x ?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

H20doctor wrote:then get the gps, richard ? wanna drop me and you with your boat ? do a search pattern on my dive x , and find the sucker..
Is this current on slack too much for a dive x ?
There's no current at slack, its swimmable on good days. But like many of Puget Sound's higher current sites, on marginal days the current can be slack at the surface and moving (various directions) underneath.

Like I said, I don't see any good daytime slack before ebbs (for me) until April 17th which is a Wednesday. The 20th and 21st is a weekend. Slack on the 20th is about 2pm. About 3:20pm on the 21st. I don't have anything planned, but I have my doubts this light will be find-able since that's a month away (long time) and we are going into plankton season.

My normal Waterman's dive is on trimix, 30min bottom time at an average of about 95 to 105ft and 5 to 10mins of O2 deco. The gravelly mud slope above the wall is pretty ho-hum.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

I just wanted to say you guys are awesome for even considering a recovery. I dive with Mikiko and she takes great pictures with the help of that light. I was sad to hear she lost it on this dive.

Even if the tides don't work out and you don't get a chance, you guys put a smile on my face for jumping up to help find it. If you do go out at some point, I would be happy to pitch in for air/02 or any other costs.
morayeel
Just Settling In

Post by morayeel »

>H20doctor
I am very sorry to hear you lost your friend in an accident. It is very heartbreaking to hear loss of a diver. We had one recently in our front yard, Redondo, as you know....
I have not read all the thread yet, but I believe Waterman's wall is different from Lobstar wall.

>Everyone
I am so overwhelmed by all of your kind offers.

Here is the detail of the dive, if you are interested in.
We started the dive at 8:47 and end 9:38 when slack before ebb just ended. The slack before ebb was 9:25 am, max flood was 1.2 at 6:30 am and max ebb was -3.2 at 1:17 pm. The current was mild enough to handle camera, but still it was good to know a boat is there, just in case. The current was flowing towards bay at the beginning, then switched outwards in the middle of diving. I felt current was dying down before the switch, but it was short period. We used anchor line for safety stop, otherwise it may have been difficult to stay in one place. Viz was about 15', the max depth was 71' and I don't know how it was like at deeper end.

It would be great to reunite with my light, but when it's lost, it is lost. A resident diver on the site offer to keep his eye on it, and I may be able to revisit the site soon. I greatly appreciate all of your kind offer, but I don't want anyone get into trouble because of this. Please stay on safe side.

There is a reason when things happens. I've started joining in NWDC because of it. It is something, isn't it? ;)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Moray we need to get you back out there and on the actual wall! If your max was 71ft you were barely at the top of it.

I can take you back to look for your light on the 20th of April if you like (with a boat). Do you have a normal buddy you'd like to bring along? I suggest just doing a regular dive and then you can zig-zag up the gravel in the general area where you may have dropped the light as you multilevel up to your safety stop. Maybe you'll manage to find it.

Richard
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Not planning on searching the wall, just the 40 to 65 feet range..
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

H20doctor wrote:Not planning on searching the wall, just the 40 to 65 feet range..
That would take about 10 or 15 mins depending on how thorough you are and the vis.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

sounds good to me... then we go hit another site for tank 2
morayeel
Just Settling In

Post by morayeel »

Richard,
That sounds wonderful.I would like to get back there not only because of the light, but also the site itself. It was amazing, even though I did not really hit the wall :P. I usually dive Redondo and TTN, and the high current habitat is just so fascinating!

I don't have solid buddy yet, but Rhoda has offered to be my buddy, if I go back to the site. I dove with her four times, and all went well. She uses this board, but I don't know her user name. Anyway, she is a very active and skilled diver. I would like to come with her if it is OK with you. Please let me know when you have more details.

Thank you sooooooo much. :fish:

Mikiko
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mikko I put April 20th on the calender. I will figure out a time to meet and directions for you and Rhoda. I'll send you a PM with those kinds of details in a couple days :)
morayeel
Just Settling In

Post by morayeel »

I am looking forward to it. Thanks!!
morayeel
Just Settling In

Post by morayeel »

Hello,
It has been a while last time I was here. It is unbelievable, but I have got my light back! It has been a year and a month. It was found last week at the same site, around 41 feet deep under a crab pot. I don't directly know the diver who found it, but he was diving with a person who had dove with me for the search once. He remembered me and contacted me.
Thank you for everyone who helped me find the light. I am so excited to reunite with my light. Amazingly, the light still works! So, I wanted to share this with you. :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 11.13.06 PM.jpg
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Wow! glad to hear you got your light back and that it works! Best send that in to Sola... they might like to hear that for good advertising ... underwater for over a year and it still works!
It's a good day.... nobody died!
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

deep diver wrote:Wow! glad to hear you got your light back and that it works! Best send that in to Sola... they might like to hear that for good advertising ... underwater for over a year and it still works!
+1
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

That is fantasticly AWESOME!!!!!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Wow that would certainly be a good ad for that light company. Congrats on the recovery.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

That's pretty amazing. Got your light back AND it still works!