Ethical question for the board

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Ethical question for the board

Post by fishb0y »

So Diver_dave posted a photo of a HUGE nudibranch that he harvested in Alaska. It looked as if the discussion was initially heading in the negative direction, but quickly turned into a jovial discussion of southern fried foods and the diets of indigenous Russians.

Now we all remember the uproar with the Alki Octopus of 2012. What makes the harvesting of the octopus different than taking that nudibranch?

I'm not asking this question to stir the pot, fling accusations or to make people upset with anyone; especially me ;). I guess I'm just curious why one made national news while the other might end up in a cookbook (I have a great recipe for moon-snail if anyone is brave enough).
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Re: Ethical question for the board

Post by Dmitchell »

Because Dave didn't tell anyone to $#$#@ Off and act like an ass? nor did he take it from one of the most popular dive sites in a city of several million.

While I wouldn't eat it, Dave did not break any law taking the Nudi. No different from posting a picture of himself sitting next to a dead deer with rifle in hand.
Dave Mitchell
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

This.
Dmitchell wrote:Because Dave didn't tell anyone to $#$#@ Off and act like an ass? nor did he take it from one of the most popular dive sites in a city of several million.
I didn't quote the last part of Mr. Mitchell's fine post because I don't think the deer illustration works because this is not a game animal with hunting seasons.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Going to have to agree. Neither what Dave did or Dylan did was illegal however Dylan went to a popular site where people look forward to seeing Octos, harvested one, and chose to be abrasive when approached.
Is Dave going to eat that tonight? Well I wouldnt be surprised as I have had lots of seafood at his place. However I think we are talking apples and oranges.
Sitkas harvesting rules are much different than here, and when it comes to abundance of sea life, the area around Sitka takes the cake. Thats what I love about diving there!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dave Mitchell mentions, the "where" is more than kinda important.

Diver dave is in the middle of nowhere and there aren't hundreds of divers per week trying to catch a glimpse of his nudibranch in its natural habitat. And he didn't threaten to take more out of shear spitefulness to intentionally sour someone else's joy in diving.

Its all about attitude and keeping in the spirits of the local dive community.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Norris wrote:Going to have to agree.
Is the arm twisting working? :boxer:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dmitchell wrote:Because Dave didn't tell anyone to $#$#@ Off and act like an ass? nor did he take it from one of the most popular dive sites in a city of several million.

While I wouldn't eat it, Dave did not break any law taking the Nudi. No different from posting a picture of himself sitting next to a dead deer with rifle in hand.
LIKE.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

I have to agree with all the above.

Like most things in life common sense and attitude go a LONG way.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

just because we dont eat it here in the PNW doesnt mean others dont... alaska Is the great wide open spaces.. im sure there are lots of folks out there eating sea cukes, Urchins, and star fish that we normal dont think about... The was made for food , and i think most people forget that ... just like land hunting , we all need to eat ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Yes, it wasn't so much the action of hunting the octo that was the problem, but rather the fact that the kid did so at a massively popular dive site, unceremoniously flaunted his kill, and showed no respect for either the prey or his fellow divers. Not to mention initial confusion about octo gender, and threats to take more just to piss people off. While a nudi doesn't sound appealing to me, we really are talking, as Norris said, about apples and oranges
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

So....what's the moon snail recipe...?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Mortuus wrote:Yes, it wasn't so much the action of hunting the octo that was the problem, but rather the fact that the kid did so at a massively popular dive site, unceremoniously flaunted his kill, and showed no respect for either the prey or his fellow divers. Not to mention initial confusion about octo gender, and threats to take more just to piss people off. While a nudi doesn't sound appealing to me, we really are talking, as Norris said, about apples and oranges
Actually, that's apples and Orange Peel. Nudi that is.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
elmer fudd
Just Settling In

Post by elmer fudd »

Jeremy wrote:So....what's the moon snail recipe...?
I've tried on more than one occasion, but I've never come up with a way to make those things palatable.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Don't you know what the primary ingredient in [urlhttp://www.moonpie.com/]moon pies[/url] is?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Totally agree, the big difference was that Diver_Dave didnt brag about his kill and he didnt kill the Nudi's at probably the most popular dive site in Washington.

I have respect for people who hunt, harvest and gather.. in specific those who dont do it because "they can".. but do it for consumption and do it respectfully and not from nature-tourist or watchable wildlife areas.

If someone harvests an octo from the middle of puget sound in 500ft of water where nobody dives, will anyone care.. probably not.

Same thing here.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There was actually a rather interesting article in Quest magazine last year (I think) about the ethics of our responses to various animals, and how we work to preserve and protect the ones that are appealing to us, and not the ones that aren't. I think it's easy to be captivated by GPOs -- they are intelligent, active and interactive -- and a lot harder to feel empathy for nudibranchs, which are not very mobile and difficult to anthropomorphize.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Agree with all the others ... the octo story was never about hunting, it was about protecting our dive sites. That's still the issue.

As for why the story went viral ... I think it had as much to do with all the other things on Dylan's Facebook page as it did about the octo ... that and how he and his sister went on the offensive on the internet. Once that stopped, things calmed down pretty quick.

It was never about hunting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Just in case you are serious: there used to be (along time ago!) a paperback book available called, Edible? Incredible!, by Marjorie Furlong and Virginia Pill. It was described as "a reference guide for saltwater sealife and the dinner table". To my surprise, it is still available on Amazon -

I actually tried eating Moon Snails a couple of times. They do, in fact, taste like clams. Not surprising since they eat clams themselves. All I can say is....meh....a lot of work for very little reward.

I dug out my copy to find the the preparation hints and recipes for Moon Snails....Here's the info from the book:

"immerse live Moon Snails in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Drain and place in cold water. Insert a sharp, thin knife under the umbilidus or hollow at the base of the shell far enough inside to cut the strong muscle. Remove the trap door (operculum). Insert a meat fork, twist and pull, and the animal should then come out quite easily. Slice along the foot area, discarding the digestive organs. Some people prefer to remove the dark lower area of the foot, but others feel that it has the most flavor. The meat may be ground for chowder or put between muslin and pounded with a meat hammer before rolling in flour to fry. Sprinkle with commercial meat tenderizer to insure tenderness. Moon Snail slices may be dipped in batter and deep fat fried like clams. The flavor is mild, resembling that of Razor Clams. Some of our readers tell us that they now prefer and look for Moon Snails instead of clams."

Have fun!

John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Yeah, this is the difference!
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

That's pretty much how we cooked it, but never used the meat tenderizer. I thought it tasted a little like lobster.