Puget Sound Bathymetry over Google Maps

General banter about diving and why we love it.
enigmatic
Avid Diver

Post by enigmatic »

Very, very cool. Response time wasn't bad at all. I'm suitably impressed. :supz:
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

i'm working on underlaying the 30m data that runs the data north to the candian border and out to the pacific.

for comparison...

old: http://www.scriptkiddie.org/bath/index. ... 734375&z=8

new: http://www.scriptkiddie.org/bath/test.h ... 734375&z=8

the higher zooms on the new stuff isn't finished yet, when it's done and i've got a complete set of tiles i'll move that into place as the default... this is just a preview of what i'm working on...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Really, really, cool, Lamont. I've been clicking onto your site and daydreaming a lot, lately- fun to contemplate the abyss from cyberspace, you know?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Nailer99 wrote:Really, really, cool, Lamont. I've been clicking onto your site and daydreaming a lot, lately- fun to contemplate the abyss from cyberspace, you know?
i'm sick right now, so i know exactly how you feel...
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

just released the new tilings out of test...

http://www.scriptkiddie.org/bath/

its got better coverage of the san juans now. the gap in rosario pass is just there in my underlying datasource...

i screwed up the deep shading slightly on this last one so all the deep stuff is pretty much all light blue...

takes about a week to generate all the tilings now...
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

elliott bay, commencement bay and the nisqually river delta have updated bathymetry with 3m and 4m DEMs.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

This is really cool Lamont. =D> I was looking on Google for bathymetric maps of the Puget Sound and this thread came up! So, I still don't get the colors. Can you put a legend at the bottom? Are you still even working on this? :bounce:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Great work Lamont.

Has anyone dove north of the Pinnacle in Hood Canal? It sure looks like there is a 2nd one just a bit north.
Charles
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Seth T. wrote:This is really cool Lamont. =D> I was looking on Google for bathymetric maps of the Puget Sound and this thread came up! So, I still don't get the colors. Can you put a legend at the bottom? Are you still even working on this? :bounce:
I haven't had time to work on it for awhile.

If you check the FAQ there's a legend:

0 0 0 0
-1 255 0 0
-66 255 255 0
-132 0 255 0
-198 0 255 255
-264 255 255 255
-330 255 0 255
-396 0 0 255
-967 0 0 1

so the center of the yellow is 66 fsw deep. the center of the green is 132 fsw deep. the yellow/green interface is probably around 100 fsw.

the violet is pretty crazy, admiral sampson kinda deep... the blue is just silly... most of the well known 'deep' wrecks around here are more in the turquoise (al-ind-esk-sea, governor, etc...). all the turquoise in lake washington is where all the 200 fsw deep wrecks are out there...

there's one error which is that it goes down to like 2000 fsw now in the blacker areas in the san juans, 967 fsw was the max depth on the smaller subsection that i had before i added the psdem2000 information. so the blue is really all kinda useless, all of the blue in puget sound is somewhere between 400-967 fsw. The darker blue stuff at the bottom of possession pt wall. for example, is probably 800 fsw as is most of the darker blue stuff south of there.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Aquanautchuck wrote:Great work Lamont.

Has anyone dove north of the Pinnacle in Hood Canal? It sure looks like there is a 2nd one just a bit north.
Be careful of artifacts. They joined LIDAR data for land and shallow water with deeper bathymetry and there's a lot of artifacts:

http://www.scriptkiddie.org/bath/index. ... 12024&z=17

That big line there doesn't exist in the real world...
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Cool, my response time was not bad at all.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

lamont wrote: I've been thinking about going all web-2.0 wikipedia on it and setting up waypoints and divesite reviews public/private, etc, but for now its static content... wikifiying it is probably at least 6 months out...
FWIW I think that a "master" dive site reference for our area would be a worthwhile project. I'm not a huge wiki fan, but it seems like it would be great for that purpose, and I'd contribute.