GoPro mounting?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

GoPro mounting?

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

I had posted before about the actioncam...I have decided gopro3! ;) Found out apple sells for 329 how can i beat that?

The question I have now is how to best mount it. I am trying to figure out a way to mount, start and forget. Not use a tray if at all possible. I thought of head mount but with a hood, I am not sure how solid that would be.

I thought of wrist mount but thought it would be horrible...I did see a BCD Mount option:
http://www.zsurfnfish.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_c1VBTxKPw

Thoughts? Also I would be correct in assuming I would need the magenta filter for the water here or up in BC?

Thanks again for the assistance...
PlayingInJeans
Frequent Bubbler

Re: GoPro mounting?

Post by PlayingInJeans »

Unless you want the gopro on your head following what you are looking at; you are going to be stuck with a fixed position which gets quite boring unless you have multiple angles (multiple gopros). I had my gopro on a chestie mount upside down to look up at my face and a bit of whats in front of me which is great if you are really horizontal along the bottom. A big portion of my dive, I removed the gopro and just held it in my hand. My buddy tied his housing to a shoestring and let it hang whenever he wasn't filming by hand.

Oh and the apple deal is weaksauce compared to other deals I've seen, due to having to pay tax on top of that.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen any other deals on the black except the apple one at 329
PlayingInJeans
Frequent Bubbler

Post by PlayingInJeans »

I'll post up when I find another 20% off, tax-free, free ship deal.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

there are a lot of used go pros on Craigslist... I'm mounted my GoPro on helmet and dive it.. I've seen them mounted on sticks, and also on sticks behind you strapped to your tank..
Last edited by H20doctor on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

GoPro Mounting

Post by Paladin4Christ »

I bought a bicycle mount and put it on an expanding squeegee rod (purchased at WalMart for $3) which I attach to a D ring. In my opinion it is too long uncollapsed to be convenient but perfect when expanded while shooting.

A customer came into the dive shop and said that they used a XShot purchased from Amazon. It is only like 9 inches long collapsed but expands to 30 inches. The camera can be flipped to look away from and towards you. They said it worked great to put themselves in a shot and then to flip the camera away for part of the dive. I have not seen it but am toying with purchasing it for dives.

I also made a hand mount for it, much like a soft goodman handle, out of the packaging mount. I saw some youtube videos showing a way to make a hand mount using the head strap mount.

I am too afraid to mount mine on my head since I have found 2 GoPro's in the last 3 months and would be sick if I lost it.
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

H20doctor wrote:there are a lot of used go pros on Craigslist... I'm mounted my GoPro on helmet and dive it.. I've seen them mounted on sticks, and also on sticks behind you strapped to your tank..
What kind of helmet did you mount it on. I did not think of wearing a helmet for a dive.

How were they mounted on the stick to the tank? This sounds interesting.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Paladin4Christ wrote:I bought a bicycle mount and put it on an expanding squeegee rod (purchased at WalMart for $3) which I attach to a D ring. In my opinion it is too long uncollapsed to be convenient but perfect when expanded while shooting.

A customer came into the dive shop and said that they used a XShot purchased from Amazon. It is only like 9 inches long collapsed but expands to 30 inches. The camera can be flipped to look away from and towards you. They said it worked great to put themselves in a shot and then to flip the camera away for part of the dive. I have not seen it but am toying with purchasing it for dives.

I also made a hand mount for it, much like a soft goodman handle, out of the packaging mount. I saw some youtube videos showing a way to make a hand mount using the head strap mount.

I am too afraid to mount mine on my head since I have found 2 GoPro's in the last 3 months and would be sick if I lost it.
How does the hand mount work out. I would think it would be very choppy?
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

The hand mount can be choppy but if you pay attention it works just fine. Also it is way easier to handle than the current squeegee mount I have.

I am very interested in the helmet idea just not sure what kind of helmet and if it would be worth all the teasing...
PlayingInJeans
Frequent Bubbler

Post by PlayingInJeans »

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14 ... C_ID=54006

$329.99 no tax in WA, free ship, and it comes with a free 16gb SDHC.

I have ordered my motorcycle parts from this store countless times, they are one of the first places I shop.

However, this price drop is being sparked by the GoPro 4 soon to come out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-6rBu76bEw
PlayingInJeans
Frequent Bubbler

Post by PlayingInJeans »

And rei is now selling forf 330....and cabelas....

Hmmmmmm
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

PlayingInJeans wrote:http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14 ... C_ID=54006

$329.99 no tax in WA, free ship, and it comes with a free 16gb SDHC.

I have ordered my motorcycle parts from this store countless times, they are one of the first places I shop.

However, this price drop is being sparked by the GoPro 4 soon to come out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-6rBu76bEw
+1 on the superstore, first place I go when buying bike stuff!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**