Mares acquires SSI

General banter about diving and why we love it.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Mares acquires SSI

Post by spatman »

We are proud to announce HEAD/MARES has signed an agreement to acquire Scuba Schools International (SSI). The effective date will be January 1st 2014.
http://www.diveboard.com/community/news ... si-B27fJAi
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Mares acquires SSI

Post by Dusty2 »

Hmmmm, very interesting, SSI is a good organization. I hope this is a good thing for the Scuba industry.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Dusty2 wrote:Hmmmm, very interesting, SSI is a good organization. I hope this is a good thing for the Scuba industry.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure it is a good thing. Mares is owned by Head and they seem more interested in skis and tennis rackets than dive gear. After Mares acquired Voit, they copied the MR12 II and made it their flagship regulator. But trying to get parts form European suppliers has become a bit challenging.

I hope it works out for SSI, but I'm skeptical.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

On the upside, Maybe the SSI training materials will show more of the Excell and Quatro blade fins instead of the ubiquitous floppy splits.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

:popcorn:
It will be interesting to see what comes out of this. The biggest difference between SSI and PADI is that SSI is closely focused on the dive shop whereas PADI interacts directly with their instructors. I wonder if Mares/Head will use the SSI training organization as a distribution channel for their dive gear.
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

Scuba Pro bought training agency one upon a time, did not work out.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Now Mares snorkels will be mandatory dive equipment for all SSI OW students.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Tangfish wrote:Now Mares snorkels will be mandatory dive equipment for all SSI OW students.
Nah, but all the photos will be redone with that idiotic "airtrim" bcd inflator system Mares has...and the marketing garbage in the materials around buying a "total dive system" will become even more obnoxious than it is today.

SSI's books seemed to contain about three pages of content and thirty pages of marketing the last time I had to suffer through one. I'm sure this isn't going to help matters.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

camerone wrote:and the marketing garbage in the materials around buying a "total dive system" will become even more obnoxious than it is today.

As an SSI dealer and an employee of Cressi, I can assure you this is not going to be a "Mares version of diving".

As far as the SSI Total Diving System...I'm not sure which part of the "total" you'd leave behind?? I, as an instructor (shop owner hat off), appreciate that the diver is told they need an entire system...not pieces and parts, acquired piecemeal along the way. I'm not sure which pieces of the system I'd tell the diver they didn't need...the air sources? Buoyancy?? Exposure??

I was sold my original equipment piece by piece...with no "plan" in place. All wrong. Replaced everything with the "correct" pieces later. Could have saved a ton of money if I'd have had a "Total" plan in place...even when buying piece by piece.

I'm happy about the acquisition. Head has deep pockets. And it was Head that acquired SSI. Head ALSO owns Mares. So...Mares didn't directly buy SSI. SSI has incredible growth potential and a solid foundation. IMHO...it's a smart move for both parties...but only time will tell...
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.