My new babies

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
kwbyron
Aquaphile

My new babies

Post by kwbyron »

Look what I have!!!! Who knows what they'll grow up to be?

I'll add photos as they develope more.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

They grow up so fast...here are mesenteries forming just 2 days later.
-Kevin
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Need... more... information... :book:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Anemones?
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

Thats it! They are Metridium senile larvae. It was the mesentaries that gave it away wasn't it?
-Kevin
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

It twas indeed.

I had actually never even HEARD of mesentaries until more recently, when trying to ID a strange shot I had of a very mutilated Plumose anemone. (Metridium farcimen) I had called some experts up on the phone, and then pulled out my copy of Kozloff's Marine Invertebrates of the Pacific NW and read up on Plumose anemones - and the mesentaries were all over the place in the anatomical drawings!

Are you pretty well-versed on anemones?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

I'm working on it, I am doing a study on the aggression between clones of Metridium senile. We caught one spawning the other week and I was able to culture the larvae. I have a photo of a mutalated M farcimen I took at anacortes marina, it's depressing to see. M senile will beat up on farcimen pretty good, but I don't know if it's enough to expose the mesentaries.
-Kevin
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Look ... you're a nice kid ... I like you ... but I can't understand a WORD you're saying!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

sounds interesting, but I am with Grateful Diver on this one. Could you elaborate on the subject easier to understand? Let us in on the secret lives of anemones, please... :book:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Actually, I was quoting someone ... or perhaps paraphrasing. Been a coupla years since I saw the movie ... #-o

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Grateful Diver wrote:Actually, I was quoting someone ... or perhaps paraphrasing. Been a coupla years since I saw the movie ... #-o

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That only works when other folks have seen or heard what you're quoting! The other day between dives on Hood Canal I quoted Dan Akroyd in an OLD Saturday Night Live sketch with Jane Curtin....("Jane, you ignorant slut!")....everyone on the boat looked at me as though I had suddenly grown two heads.....there was an embarrassing silence....not even polite laughter..... #-o

It's Hell to get old.....no one knows what you're talking about! HA!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

GD, I knew EXACTLY who you were quoting - since my little 2 year old granddaughter loves watching that movie with her old diving grandparents :)

Sorry John - I never was an SNL fan I guess, although I'm old enough to be!! :)

Anyway, as near as I can explain from my very limited knowledge on the subject -

Plumose anemones (Metridium senile and Metridium farcimen) have a large digestive cavity (called a terminal cavity because all the waste products have to go out the same opening they came in). This cavity is made up of a lot of folds and ridges along the inside walls, called mesentaries.

Also, these anemones have a specialized set of tentacles that pack a BIG WHALLOP of a sting that they use to zap their neighbors - it's a set of two or so thicker tentacles that come out of their center and are quite long - long enough to fight with neighboring Plumose anemones to kill them. Why? They're competing for space. Nice, eh?

I have a photo that I took in Barkley Sound Oct 2006 that shows a really weird thing - a very mangled Plumose Anemone, showing the mesentaries, with gonads lining them. The photo was used in Andy Lamb's first column in NW Dive News a few issues back, but for some reason was credited to Andy, and not me. :(

So THAT's what we're talking about!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:

The other day between dives on Hood Canal I quoted Dan Akroyd in an OLD Saturday Night Live sketch with Jane Curtin....("Jane, you ignorant slut!")....everyone on the boat looked at me as though I had suddenly grown two heads.....there was an embarrassing silence....not even polite laughter..... #-o

It's Hell to get old.....no one knows what you're talking about! HA!

- John
That's okay John, I remember the original Not Ready for Primetime Players quite well. And I especially remember that line! :evil4:

-Valerie
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Zen Diver 2 wrote: That's okay John, I remember the original Not Ready for Primetime Players quite well. And I especially remember that line! :evil4:

-Valerie
HOW old did you say you were, Val???? I was absolutely SURE that you were in your mid-20's!

You must've watched some old re-runs, right? :smt064

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

nwscubamom wrote: Plumose anemones (Metridium senile and Metridium farcimen) have a large digestive cavity (called a terminal cavity because all the waste products have to go out the same opening they came in). This cavity is made up of a lot of folds and ridges along the inside walls, called mesentaries.

I'm pretty sure I know some people with this condition...... #-o
Dave Mitchell
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:
Zen Diver 2 wrote: That's okay John, I remember the original Not Ready for Primetime Players quite well. And I especially remember that line! :evil4:

-Valerie
HOW old did you say you were, Val???? I was absolutely SURE that you were in your mid-20's!

You must've watched some old re-runs, right? :smt064

- John
Uh, YES, that's it, yeah, reruns, sure....

And the fact that in slightly over 3 months I'll be officially pushing a half century has nothing to do with it...

-Valerie
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

Well explained Janna, A few notes though, M. farcimen does not have the fighting tentacles (these are the really big anemones), that's specific to senile, and one of the few definitive ways to tell them apart. My hypothesis is that the aggression by senile is not competition, but sexual selection. Since senile reproduces asexually, they form large aggregations of identicle anemones, which would reduce the probability that a neighbor would be of the opposite sex. Since they reproduce by spawning, it would benefit the individual that could ensure they were surrounded by members of the opposite sex. Since farcimen does not undergo asexual reproduction, they do not have this issue, hence, no aggression.
My next goal in life is to learn Mr. Ray's song, he runs through most of the phylum in Anamalia
Here is senile being a jerk:

My nex
-Kevin
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Well Kevin, very interesting stuff!! I had a chance to speak with Dr. Lisbeth Francis (who researches these anemones) on the phone from up at Shannon Point Marine Center about these guys and sent her the photo. She thinks the pink stuff is mesentaries loaded up with female gonads. I'd like to hear what you think too - since you've got some experience with the critter!

Here's the pic:

and a closeup of the mesentaries:

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

That's exactly what it is. Liz is actually my research advisor, she is an amazing scientist. I have a lot of fun debating her, she disagrees with me on the purpose for agression... but our recent field work as shifted her opinion in my direction!
-Kevin
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

kwbyron wrote:That's exactly what it is. Liz is actually my research advisor, she is an amazing scientist. I have a lot of fun debating her, she disagrees with me on the purpose for agression... but our recent field work as shifted her opinion in my direction!
Sounds like she's sporting "senile fighting tentacles!" #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Kevin,

Enough of the nerdspeak. I do believe some field observations are necessary sometime soon....

Jake
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

welll...fatherhood is over for now. My larvae are all gone, not sure how, but it seems a bunch of copepods like critters got in the sample and I think they ate all the larvae.
-Kevin