electronic control over DSLR?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
stillhope
Avid Diver

electronic control over DSLR?

Post by stillhope »

I've been shopping around for an underwater housing for my new DSLR that replaces the video cameras I used since the turn of the century. There are many amazing choices out there, but I haven't found what I'm really looking for, so I'm tossing this out to see if anyone has any ideas.

The biggest obstacle I had with my previous underwater video system is that it was exceptionally difficult, if not impossible to get a lot of macro shots because I physically couldn't position my head behind the camera to frame the shot — at least not without adverse impact on lots of flora and fauna when I stretched my body out on the seafloor. I was looking into right-angle viewers and external monitors when my old system gave up the ghost.

Since then, on land, I've been using a CamRanger that plugs into my camera and allows me to use my iPad as both an external monitor and a controller. It's a brilliant solution, and it has other benefits as well, such as touching the picture to select a focus point, or automated focus stacking, etc.

So it seems to me that an underwater housing could do away with most of the mechanical controls, and just have a through-the-hull port for a cable that goes to a tablet. The electronics between the camera and the tablet could be a CamRanger or a custom built controller. Benefits of this over the mechanical housings I've been looking at:
- eliminate a large number of mechanical penetrations and associated cost, maintenance, and risk of leak
- housing is no longer physically suited to just a single camera model, perhaps delaying obsolescence, certainly reducing cost even further
- focus rings and gears won't be needed
- advanced programmable controls
- external monitor

I asked Ikelite and Nauticam and Aquatica if they were working on any such product. Ikelite and Nauticam replied "No", and Aquatica didn't reply.

Any ideas?
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: electronic control over DSLR?

Post by YellowEye »

That would be nice, I think we'd all appreciate the bigger screen... I've thought the same. I haven't seen a touchscreen that works underwater though. Nor a really great liveview. You might want to check out the 45degree viewfinders... I think nauticam has one.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
stillhope
Avid Diver

Post by stillhope »

Here's one example of an underwater tablet housing that offers full functionality

http://dive-xtras.com/pages/accessories ... tablet.asp
Fordman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Fordman »

stillhope wrote:Here's one example of an underwater tablet housing that offers full functionality

http://dive-xtras.com/pages/accessories ... tablet.asp

Too bad they won't sell to you...unless you are a commercial account.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I have seen some underwater housings for the I-phone maybe there is hope. To bad radio and blue tooth don't work underwater.
stillhope
Avid Diver

Post by stillhope »

Fordman, I don't need them to sell one to me. The forward-thinking camera housing manufacturer (if there were one) can order customized versions from them.

Dusty, true, but a lot can be done without radio waves underwater. I certainly wouldn't mind having a touchscreen monitor/controller tethered to my camera with a cable. As a matter of fact, I'd be thrilled!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

If you get any leads, I'd be interested too
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!