Upside down crab dribbling

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Upside down crab dribbling

Post by Jeremy »

H2ODoc has done dubious things with sea cucumbers before...but Saturday night at Mukilteo he decided to use something else.

Not sure how else to describe it....

[youtube]http://youtu.be/G1SFRRP6ilo[/youtube]
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Upside down crab dribbling

Post by Linedog »

Harlem crab trotter?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

Greek polka? :eek:
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Krareem Abdule Crustacia
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

jeffgerritsen wrote:Greek polka? :eek:
Madd Skillzz...

Funny, this wouldn't play on my phone because it said that they didn't have permission to use the music.

Who would steal that music?!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

:(
Jenn
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

enchantmentdivi wrote::(
Agreed. Manhandling wildlife for fun is not cool.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Penopolypants wrote:
enchantmentdivi wrote::(
Agreed. Manhandling wildlife for fun is not cool.
A crab is considered wildlife ???? seems a lot of people eat them in butter and boil them to death...
All I did was play with him, and put him to sleep with my Mad skilzzz... Then I safely let him return to His life... :supz: :supz: :supz: :partydance: :partydance: :partydance:

why is it that no one on this board appreciates some fun ???
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I think its pretty well known and logged that there are many people that feel as though messing with wildlife for pure entertainment is considered cruel. They are expressing themselves here and have the right to do so, just as you have the right to molest wildlife for laughs. So some are pro and some or against, as such is the way of the world.

I knew that someone would post on this thread and I would assume that anyone that has been on this board for any amount of time would not be surprised that someone has.

You should allow people to express themselves and I wouldn't think that "AWWWW C'MON PEOPLE" would be enough to change their views.

It is what it is, funny for some, and not so much for others...
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Doc, you're killing me smalls!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Norris wrote:I think its pretty well known and logged that there are many people that feel as though messing with wildlife for pure entertainment is considered cruel. They are expressing themselves here and have the right to do so, just as you have the right to molest wildlife for laughs. So some are pro and some or against, as such is the way of the world.

I knew that someone would post on this thread and I would assume that anyone that has been on this board for any amount of time would not be surprised that someone has.

You should allow people to express themselves and I wouldn't think that "AWWWW C'MON PEOPLE" would be enough to change their views.

It is what it is, funny for some, and not so much for others...
"AWWWW C'MON PEOPLE.......

messing with wildlife for pure entertainment is considered cruel A crab is Not wildlife .. they are Boiled and eaten , and sold in the frozen section... a crab is a Ground clean upcrew, for the dead... There is a Huge Diff in me touching or Harrassing A GPO or pulling an octo out of a den just to get a picture or a shot ..which ive seen divers do , and then people are amazed At How they got that piece of film or photo..
I would prob get the same Rash for blowing air ring at rat fish , or killing a sand flea with my fin ... WOW I feel like Bob Bailey right now ... :boxer:
why dont you just delete this Video and save the others from my Touching the wild life .. LTR
download.jpg
download.jpg (8.34 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

[sarcasm]Hey Chris, lets go save some crabs from being boiled and mutilated.

Eating Crab is murder[/sarcasm].
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I thought it was amazing. Did it actually go to sleep, or something like it? Is that a thing they do when they're upside down?
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

dwashbur wrote:I thought it was amazing. Did it actually go to sleep, or something like it? Is that a thing they do when they're upside down?
I was amazed myself and spent some time wondering why the crab would behave that way.

I'm thinking it's an evolutionary adaptation to make itself as hard to eat as possible when it falls off a structure. The legs are all fully extended and locked. Kind of like the porcupine fish strategy?

The leg structure in that position also reminded me of the lobster anatomy as well.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

So, say you are walking down the street one day and KIng Kong shows up, picks you up and starts dribbling you in the air 10 or 12 feet for awhile, then gently puts you down, and continues on his merry way. Other than the mess you'd have to clean up in your drawers, you don't think that might have a bit of an impact on your heart? Or perhaps bring on an asthma attack if you are prone to that? Or have some long lasting emotional impact on your life? Do you really think it's OK to "play" with the animals just because you are bigger and can and because some people would kill them so what you are doing is no big deal? No empathy gene? I'd like to think that humans are evolving but when I see things like this, I have to wonder. About the people that do it and the people who think it's funny or stand by and say nothing.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

Oh boy. Let the flamming begin....or continue. :)
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

WylerBear wrote:So, say you are walking down the street one day and KIng Kong shows up, picks you up and starts dribbling you in the air 10 or 12 feet for awhile, then gently puts you down, and continues on his merry way. Other than the mess you'd have to clean up in your drawers, you don't think that might have a bit of an impact on your heart? Or perhaps bring on an asthma attack if you are prone to that? Or have some long lasting emotional impact on your life? Do you really think it's OK to "play" with the animals just because you are bigger and can and because some people would kill them so what you are doing is no big deal? No empathy gene? I'd like to think that humans are evolving but when I see things like this, I have to wonder. About the people that do it and the people who think it's funny or stand by and say nothing.

Not to get in the middle of this, but my father used to love to throw me as high in the air as possible when I was younger, actually up until he pretty much couldn't pick me up anymore. When I was younger he would throw me almost to the ceiling and onto my bed, and I would yell, one more time. So king kong picking me up and throwing me around would be fricken awesome. I don't have asthma, though. :)
Rena

mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Must.....resist......
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

WylerBear wrote:So, say you are walking down the street one day and KIng Kong shows up, picks you up and starts dribbling you in the air 10 or 12 feet for awhile, then gently puts you down, and continues on his merry way. Other than the mess you'd have to clean up in your drawers, you don't think that might have a bit of an impact on your heart? Or perhaps bring on an asthma attack if you are prone to that? Or have some long lasting emotional impact on your life? Do you really think it's OK to "play" with the animals just because you are bigger and can and because some people would kill them so what you are doing is no big deal? No empathy gene? I'd like to think that humans are evolving but when I see things like this, I have to wonder. About the people that do it and the people who think it's funny or stand by and say nothing.
I would be happy if Kong Kong picked me up and played with me, the fact of King Kong even being real and destroying a city like Godzilla would be the highlight of my life !!!
I think the fact that i kill sand fleas when my fin kicks destroy the sand bed make me a bad person, not to mention the other worms and microscopic things i destroyed... Can you imagine the copepods ive displaced and there families ive hurt?? with my every fin kick and my air being expelled out of my lungs... I cant sleep at night
what about the chickens who lay eggs everymorning , just to have there children taken from them , or the cow whos milk is robbed from them ...
That crab Had the best day of his life... Why ?? Because i picked him up and played with him, I loved him, I payed attention to him , when All the other crabs Bullied him and shunned him at crab school... Just becuase one claw was smaller than the other one.. He was an emo crab , he was on a path to self destruction , He was on a path over to the ferry to end his life , He was going to jump into the propellar and end his life... But NO i loved him , and held him, and gave him Value and worth , and for that Moment we bonded as diver and crab... and I made Him a youtube star... and with all the money i make from Views on youtube im going to send his family money so they can relocate out of Mukilteo Because of the bulling problem ... And if im a bad guy for trying to help a crab , then so be it
Last edited by H20doctor on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

RenaB wrote:

Not to get in the middle of this, but my father used to love to throw me as high in the air as possible when I was younger, actually up until he pretty much couldn't pick me up anymore. When I was younger he would throw me almost to the ceiling and onto my bed, and I would yell, one more time. So king kong picking me up and throwing me around would be fricken awesome. I don't have asthma, though. :)
You're one of the brave souls making a statement about this. Consider yourself lucky that Wylerbear wasn't around to spoil the fun.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

mz53480 wrote:Must.....resist......
share with the class
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

Yes, please....I don't get offended easily.

The funny thing about all this was when I first logged in I was at work, and the whole video was blocked, but I read the posts. I thought, wow what on earth did this guy do to this crab? Why was someone filming it, and then why would some crazy person take scrutiny and post it? I almost laughed when I saw it.

I think we should worry about people hurting animals for entertainment. :) This animal hurts itself more getting out from rock crevices. LOL
Rena

RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

OH, and I am well aware that most of you are sick minded, and thought of that before posting ;)
Rena

mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

H20doctor wrote:
mz53480 wrote:Must.....resist......
share with the class

...resisting my "incessant use of the popcorn icon"...
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

dwashbur wrote:I thought it was amazing. Did it actually go to sleep, or something like it? Is that a thing they do when they're upside down?
As someone mentioned, the position does make it harder for fish to fit in their mouths. As for the "hypnosis" (as some have called it) I haven't seen any definitive explanation for what it is, but it occurs in a number of different crab species. A fellow crab researcher in Panama once wrote me asking about it, as he observed it in fiddler crabs down there. It can often be induced by turning a crab on its back and stroking the underside (no comments please).

Some time back I was watching a couple raccoons hunting on a beach. One of them uncovered a large red rock crab, that struck the 'spread claws' pose. The raccoon just kept rubbing his paws over the crab, and I was sure he was going to get nailed- he wasn't looking at the crab at all, just gazing off in the distance while touching the crab. Not once did the crab try to pinch- just held the pose- and after a while the raccoon lost interest and moved on.

Although crabs seem like armored tanks, their exoskeleton is covered with all sorts of microscopic sensors that can detect the slightest touch and even water movements. My guess is that the stroking kind of temporarily overwhelms their nervous system. It's strikingly similar to the reaction you get when you rub your pet lizard's belly (oh man, am I setting myself up here...)