Cenote of the Sun and Death Arrow

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Cenote of the Sun and Death Arrow

Post by CaptnJack »

Video by Bdub from last year. Starring me! In sidemount... :rjack:

phpBB [video]
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Re: Cenote of the Sun and Death Arrow

Post by RoxnDox »

Nice! I have to say that (much as I love crawling in caves) the thought of diving in them gives me the shivers... I'm always impressed by those who do it (well the ones doing it properly anyway...). Seeing those stala[ct|gm]ites and flowstone features down there sure tells a tale about how sea levels have changed over time. How deep did you see those sort of features?

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We tried to get up to Cenote of the Sun the last time I dove in Mayan Blue, with John and Karen. Unfortunately, we followed John, and ended up in B tunnel after crawling through an interesting restriction . . . Still on my list to do!

Are you doing all your cave diving sidemount nowadays, Richard? I'm playing with it, but far from sold.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I committed to diving SM with Robbie for tank rentals because Melody was going to use the Razor this trip. And I wanted to be aligned with her thinking gas-wise etc. She didn't dive that much after getting the flu on the flight down unfortunately. But there were no more doubles available at that point so I just stayed with my SM rig for the rest of the week anyway. It was overkill for diving AL80s but worked fine and I ended up doing a lot of fun dives. Last summer I dove backmount in some BC caves and SM in others, BM way easier for multistage scooter dives with drygloves etc. SM where the BM rig don't fit.

Cenote of the Sun is nowhere near B tunnel... You go right into the downstream passage, pretty straightforward navigation from there.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yeah -- we went in by the uprights at the far stairs, but somehow ended up veering left, I think; the prior time I had done it, we had gone forward and right into the big room, tied off on the top of the debris pile, and turned right. I thought John must know where he was going . . .

You still have your Razor setup? I'd love to meet up with you one of these days and talk about the issues I'm having with mine.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

This video is amazing. What a cool experience!
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

*LOVE* Cenote of the Sun. Had one of my all-time favorite cave dives there last year. Great video too!

Laurynn
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC