Intresting wreck mitigation in Northern BC

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Intresting wreck mitigation in Northern BC

Post by renoun »

Interesting WWII wreck that brought attention upon itself when she started leaking oil about ten years ago. Nothing like doing salvage work on a wreck with munitions sitting on a ledge at 130' ready to slide off into seriously deep water. I certainly enjoyed the day I spent heading south down Grenville channel, now I know even more about what was below me.

Mammoet, Global Diving remove oil from U.S. Army ship that wrecked in 1946 off British Columbia coast
Apr 2, 2014 02:59 PM
BY MICHEL DROUIN
Salvage contractors successfully completed the recovery of oil from a U.S. Army transport vessel that sank on British Columbia’s North Coast on Sept. 26, 1946.

The Canadian government’s two-month, C$50 million operation safely extracted approximately 11,623 gallons of heavy bunker C oil and 84,391 gallons of oily water from the wreck. Customary “hot tapping” methods could not be used because of the poor condition of the vessel’s tanks.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver