Tatoosh East & Chibadehl Rocks, 8-5-2014

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Tatoosh East & Chibadehl Rocks, 8-5-2014

Post by Tom Nic »

Cooperative weather and pretty easy currents had us out at Tatoosh Island for our first dive, and we dropped in on the East side of the Island. The Sea Lions that are usually inhabiting the rock nearby were absent, which settled down any in the group that might have been apprehensive.

This is a great dive! Visibility was a solid 30'. We barely broke 50 fsw, and there are many large boulders with nooks and crannies and hidey holes for critters.

On the surface interval we headed for Chibadehl rocks, and waited for a boat with 4 spearfishing buddies to finish their dive up. The hauled up a good sized cabbie, but not much else we could see.

This was another great dive. Viz was a bit less but still a respectable 20' or so depending on where you were in the clouds of krill / mysids that were out and about. I did most of the dive at about 50 fsw among the small rocks on the flat bottom. In hindsight we should have stayed shallower on the rock face and poked around in the little canyons - greater diversity of life.

My dry suit is leaking - my makeshift repair did no good. My Weezle is doing the job though. I am not cold, and if it doesn't get any worse we should make it through the week OK.

More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Re: Tatoosh East & Chibadehl Rocks, 8-5-2014

Post by Don-B »

I have looked at Chibadehl rocks many times but never dove there yet. It looked like it would be a shalow dive from what the sonar showed.
Leeking suits suck's I had one in January and that was no fun
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Great photos! Love the egg-laying whelk.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Don-B wrote:I have looked at Chibadehl rocks many times but never dove there yet. It looked like it would be a shalow dive from what the sonar showed.
Leeking suits suck's I had one in January and that was no fun
Definitely shallow. Drop down and explore in the deeper (50 fsw) areas for awhile, then move up to the 20-30 fsw range and poke around the rock wall and go back in the "canyons" - lots of life and critters there.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

LCF wrote:Great photos! Love the egg-laying whelk.
Thanks Lynne!

It was actively laying the eggs, first time I've seen that. I tried to take some video, but when I pushed the video button on the Olympus it immediately turned "white", washed out by light and wouldn't self correct. Not sure why....