Day Island Wall - 9/18/14

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Day Island Wall - 9/18/14

Post by Scubie Doo »

Hit DIW with Mike and George. Amazing how many days we have been able to dive DIW this year. Anyway, headed in about 60 minutes before slack (flood) and was a little early. However, the dive was awesome. We logged about 90 minutes with a max depth of 58'. Lots of cool critters and some large wolfs and GPOs (in their dens of course). Here are a few favorite shots.

Beautiful colors in this pic :-)

I love when common critters show off their cool colors.

I have tried for years to get a great shot of these. I usually cannot find their eyes :-)

Not exactly sure what this is, but it was about 2" long.

Not the best picture, but this was a tiny/cool find. I think it is a Doto Nudibranch.

Cool story about this out-of-focused photo. At the beginning of every dive, I snap a quick random photo to make sure everything is firing. I took this and noticed a very small critter. Not sure what it is, probably not way to ID it, since it is so fuzzy. But thought it was cool.

This was from a DIW dive on 9/6, but thought it was a cool one.

Have a great weekend and safe diving everyone.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Day Island Wall - 9/18/14

Post by Tom Nic »

Viz?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tom Nic wrote:Viz?
Sorry Tom, I know you like that. Probably about 15-20'.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Excellent. As always. :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubie Doo wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Viz?
Sorry Tom, I know you like that. Probably about 15-20'.
That is very encouraging. We did Redondo at about 5 PM today and viz was maybe 5' surface to 93fsw. Divers before us said viz was better this morning, so I have a bit of hope. I suppose this amazing topside weather has delayed the normally amazing viz we usually get late August into September.

Great pics BTW!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Mike and I did redondo last week and viz was 5'.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice shots, Scoob! I love it when you can get a nice long dive out there!

Did the 4th critter have a little cocoon nest? I think I might have seen one of those before a long time ago.

I was surprised to see the fringed tube worms on the click thru, I don't think I've noticed those in the sound before, only n the San Juans! Cool! Where on the wall did you see those?

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:Nice shots, Scoob! I love it when you can get a nice long dive out there!

Did the 4th critter have a little cocoon nest? I think I might have seen one of those before a long time ago.

I was surprised to see the fringed tube worms on the click thru, I don't think I've noticed those in the sound before, only n the San Juans! Cool! Where on the wall did you see those?

-Eric
Yeah, I was surprised to see those too. We dropped about 5-10 minutes early so the current was kicking. Additionally, I was using a 119, so we ended up farther than I have ever been. About 30-35 minutes into the dive at about 40' there was a lone rock. It was fairly large and about 20' away from the wall (or rock ledge at that point). It was covered with with the tube worms and nudibranchs.

The 4th critter was hunting and free swimming. Pretty cool watching it move about.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Jan K wrote:Excellent. As always. :)
Thanks Jan!
dtodd
Avid Diver

Post by dtodd »

Nice shots Jesse!
What rig are you using these days?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The colors on the tube worm are fabulous!

The nudibranch is a doto, but I don't know which one.

I LOVE your decorator crab picture. One of the fun things about introducing someone to DIW is finding one of those guys and then bothering them just enough to make them move a little bit, and watching your dive buddy's jaw drop :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames