Cuba?

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
ggthatcher
Frequent Bubbler

Cuba?

Post by ggthatcher »

I'll admit that I know almost nothing about the recent news about what is changing in Cuba, but 3-4 headlines have mentioned cigars and travel.

I have the assumption that Cuba's waters have not been a focus for conservation, nor tourism is a very long time so the chances of them having good dive infrastructure may be limited..
But, the idea of going to a location that has been off the US tourism market could make it a very neat country to explore and dive. Any thoughts?

I do feel sorry for all those poor cigar vendors in Mexican tourist towns who are going to see their cigar market dry up. Oh well. :-)
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Cuba?

Post by Penopolypants »

Mmm...Cohibas.....

Cuba has a dive tourism industry - pretty much everybody but Americans have been able to dive there, and even Americans can travel there as part of a cultural exchange program. One of my coworkers did that about 8 years ago with his cycling group.

Here's a nice article from Peter Benchley (of Jaws fame) from 2000 about diving in Cuba.

http://environment.nationalgeographic.c ... ban-reefs/
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The rest of the world (and many Americans through 3rd countries) has been traveling and diving in Cuba for a couple decades now. Finding a decent compressor for fills and tank rentals might not be that easy (since there are few) but Canadian travel agencies can probably help you find a facility pretty easy.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I have wanted to dive Cuba for a long while....might actually get to some day!