ID help?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
LCF
I've Got Gills

ID help?

Post by LCF »

Kirk and Ben and I did a dive at Cove 2 last night, where we saw something I'd never seen before, and I've love to know if anybody knows what this was.

Coming around the south end of the cove, back from the Honey Bear, we were swimming right on the edge of the rocks. What we found there was a huge school of extremely tiny (2 to 3 mm) creatures that looked like little translucent teardrops with eyes. They were clearly a school, in that they were together and moved as a group. There were probably thousands of them, in a band stretching several feet. Kirk thought maybe they were baby shiner perch.

Anybody have a clue from that description?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Parasites... do you happen to know a good doctor? #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

From your description, I am guessing what you saw was a school of Pacific Sandlance. Might want to check out a photo and see if I'm on track here..

Jackie
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, unless these were larvae, they weren't that. They were much smaller (literally 2 to 3 millimeters) and not elongate. But I don't think they were larvae, because the description is that the larvae "float", and whatever these were, they were very purposeful in their movements, and kept together as a school. But they were really, really tiny.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

LCF wrote:Well, unless these were larvae, they weren't that. They were much smaller (literally 2 to 3 millimeters) and not elongate. But I don't think they were larvae, because the description is that the larvae "float", and whatever these were, they were very purposeful in their movements, and kept together as a school. But they were really, really tiny.
We saw some large groups of "baby" Broken Back Shrimp out at Sekiu up in the water column that looked a little like your description...that's all I've got:)