5 years left to dive the EDMONDS Oil Dock?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sea of Green

5 years left to dive the EDMONDS Oil Dock?

Post by Sea of Green »

The ferry terminal in Edmonds is going to be moved to Marina Beach. Up until now, there wasn't a date on it. They now have a date, summer 2012. But that's just when construction is scheduled to begin, not necessarily when the Edmonds Oil Dock is supposed to come out. Schedules are subject to change, but none-the-less, the Oil Dock's days are numbered. Here are the links:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Ferrie ... sterminal/

http://www.ci.edmonds.wa.us/PressReleas ... native.pdf
Last edited by Sea of Green on Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

On the plus side this means we'll be able to dive the drydock again right?

\:D/

Although in 5 years there may not be much left of it to dive.

Jake
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Nwbrewer wrote:On the plus side this means we'll be able to dive the drydock again right?

\:D/

Although in 5 years there may not be much left of it to dive.

Jake
I would think so, but the old (existing) ferry terminal is going to come out too. There is a link in the articles for public input. As a dive community, we should make it clear that they are taking away from us a prime dive site, we should get something to compensate. I saw the dive community pull together when they wanted to ban diving in Cove 2 all together for the water taxi, we should be making the same kind of effort regarding the impact of the new ferry terminal. Although they're not saying we can't dive there, but w/o the dock being there, what is there? Nothing, the site is just sand on either side of the Oil Dock.

What we need is more information and assurances of something to compensate for loss of the Oil Dock, such as expansion of the UWP. But frankly, IMHO, that won't make up for the loss of the Oil Dock.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I guess I need to get off my butt and begin diving that site.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Sea of Green wrote:Although they're not saying we can't dive there, but w/o the dock being there, what is there? Nothing, the site is just sand on either side of the Oil Dock.
actually, it's sand and dungeness crabs.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Now that's just plain mean, Making me think about crab dinner while at work...
Looking for dive buddies

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sea of Green wrote: Although they're not saying we can't dive there, but w/o the dock being there, what is there? Nothing, the site is just sand on either side of the Oil Dock.

Actually, there's a ton of great stuff there....but it's mostly below 100', and if you don't time the currents exactly right, you'll either wash up in Olympia, or Rosario straight....it's wicked strong right there.
I don't want to see the dock go away, but I'll still dive there if they tear it down.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Nailer99 wrote:
Sea of Green wrote: Although they're not saying we can't dive there, but w/o the dock being there, what is there? Nothing, the site is just sand on either side of the Oil Dock.

Actually, there's a ton of great stuff there....but it's mostly below 100', and if you don't time the currents exactly right, you'll either wash up in Olympia, or Rosario straight....it's wicked strong right there.
I don't want to see the dock go away, but I'll still dive there if they tear it down.
I think that some folks here are thinking about the MUKILTEO oil pier ("sand and dungeness crabs") and not the Edmonds Oil Pier.

Also, the reason they will take out the Edmonds Oil Pier is so that they can build a new ferry terminal there.....with all of the restrictions that go along with that.....so diving there will be a thing of the past, Nailer, which will really suck.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

On the other hand, it's a sensible location for an expanded ferry terminal, and it will leave open the whole south side of the underwater park for further development.

But I agree that we need to get out there and "love" the oil dock while we still have the opportunity ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

John Rawlings wrote:I think that some folks here are thinking about the MUKILTEO oil pier ("sand and dungeness crabs") and not the Edmonds Oil Pier.
](*,) #-o DOH! sorry! (i should have read the whole post!)

in that case, i would say "sand and spotted ratfish and sailfin sculpins" ... :salute:
my FLICKR photo sets
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Grateful Diver wrote:On the other hand, it's a sensible location for an expanded ferry terminal, and it will leave open the whole south side of the underwater park for further development.
Edmonds really wants the ferry traffic out of their downtown waterfront
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Ah yes, Edmonds Oil Dock. I remember it well. I was doing a night dive there a few years back and decided to pick up a stupid ratfish. Little did I know that there is a VERY sharp barb on their dorsal fin. He got me right through my glove in in the side of my ring finger! Ouch!

Stupid Ratfish. :smt065
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Nailer99 wrote:

I thought I'd been just about every where around here. I've done the Oil Dock but assumed it was just sand except for the dock. What is the great stuff below 100 fsw that you are referring to?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Tons of old debris from the years it was an active dock- pilings, rocks and bricks, tires....all with associated fish and critters. If you go out roughly perpindicular from the south end of the "T", drop down, and contour to the North, you'll hit tons of cool junk....old crab pots, etc, etc. I've been down to 130- 140 there, and it just keeps going.....John R told me he'd been to 200' there, and the debris field was STILL going! One of my favorite dives. But, like I said before, timing slack is CRUCIAL- I've miss timed it a couple times, and had to thumb the dive. It absolutely RIPS through there!

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Nailer99 wrote:Tons of old debris from the years it was an active dock- pilings, rocks and bricks, tires....all with associated fish and critters. If you go out roughly perpindicular from the south end of the "T", drop down, and contour to the North, you'll hit tons of cool junk....old crab pots, etc, etc. I've been down to 130- 140 there, and it just keeps going.....John R told me he'd been to 200' there, and the debris field was STILL going! One of my favorite dives. But, like I said before, timing slack is CRUCIAL- I've miss timed it a couple times, and had to thumb the dive. It absolutely RIPS through there!
Thanks for the info and yes I agree regarding the current situation there.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

No sweat- here's John's trip report from last March- this was an awesome dive, and my longest one to date-

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=1724

Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Nailer99 wrote:Tons of old debris from the years it was an active dock- pilings, rocks and bricks, tires....all with associated fish and critters. If you go out roughly perpindicular from the south end of the "T", drop down, and contour to the North, you'll hit tons of cool junk....old crab pots, etc, etc. I've been down to 130- 140 there, and it just keeps going.....John R told me he'd been to 200' there, and the debris field was STILL going! One of my favorite dives.
At what depth does the debris field start? For us non-techies, 140-200fsw isn't doable. 80-100fsw is my usual profile. I've mostly just hung around the pilings at the T because that's where most of the marine life is.
Nailer99 wrote:But, like I said before, timing slack is CRUCIAL- I've miss timed it a couple times, and had to thumb the dive. It absolutely RIPS through there!
The Oil Dock (Edmonds) has been hard to time slack in my experience. There have been times when I timed it "by the book", and it was stiff but still doable, and other times just grabbed a buddy and jumped in and it was perfect, minimal currents.

BTW, while we're on the subject of Marina Beach (the official name of that little picnic area/beach) the other side is also a doable dive site, entry point by the breakwater rocks of the marina. Not as interesting as the Oil Dock, but there is a small reef of rocks that look like the same type of rocks used for the breakwater. If you swim out to the orange beacon sitting on the breakwater rocks, decend and go out at about a 45 degree angle from the breakwater headed north, they start at around 40fsw. I mapped it one time many years ago but no longer have the map.
Last edited by Sea of Green on Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

CaptnJack wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:On the other hand, it's a sensible location for an expanded ferry terminal, and it will leave open the whole south side of the underwater park for further development.
Edmonds really wants the ferry traffic out of their downtown waterfront
Yes, I have no argument with what they're doing from a transportation viewpoint, it's long overdue. I'm old enough to remember when Brackett's Landing was still open to clam digging and the ferry traffic just backed up straight through downtown Edmonds.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Hopefully the old terminal will be removed and that land will revert to Edmonds city parks in exchange for the loss of Marina beach park + oil dock. Happy to share the dive site with the dogs :bounce:
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

CaptnJack wrote:Hopefully the old terminal will be removed and that land will revert to Edmonds city parks in exchange for the loss of Marina beach park + oil dock. Happy to share the dive site with the dogs :bounce:
The park will still be there. I believe the on-ramp to the ferry will be elevated so that traffic to the park will go underneath it.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Do you actually think Queen Christine will give back what the State confiscated fair and square in the first place...

I look foreword to diving the dry dock, I hear it is pretty cool.
Looking for dive buddies

thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Nailer99 wrote:Actually, there's a ton of great stuff there....but it's mostly below 100', and if you don't time the currents exactly right, you'll either wash up in Olympia, or Rosario straight....it's wicked strong right there.
well, i don't agree that you have to go that deep (but maybe just 'cause i've never been that deep out there and don't know what i'm missing). we've just gone out to the end of the dock and dove around the pilings and thought it was great - lots of ratfish and sailfin sculpins, and things on the pilings, and just a neat (if not eerie) environment. (we also dove it at night.) the current is really crazy there, though, and it is a very, very long swim. very long!!! and that's the only place i've been where the surge was so strong it creeped me out. but it's a neat place.
my FLICKR photo sets
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

TCWestby wrote:Do you actually think Queen Christine will give back what the State confiscated fair and square in the first place...

I look foreword to diving the dry dock, I hear it is pretty cool.
DOT abandones state right of way all the time. I would not be remotely surprised if they give the old terminal's land to the city. I'm sure DOT will need to remove the wing walls and pier as part of the relocation.

I just hope the city does not decide to use the property to enhance their tax base via sale or development in some fashion.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

thelawgoddess wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:Actually, there's a ton of great stuff there....but it's mostly below 100', and if you don't time the currents exactly right, you'll either wash up in Olympia, or Rosario straight....it's wicked strong right there.
well, i don't agree that you have to go that deep (but maybe just 'cause i've never been that deep out there and don't know what i'm missing). we've just gone out to the end of the dock and dove around the pilings and thought it was great - lots of ratfish and sailfin sculpins, and things on the pilings, and just a neat (if not eerie) environment. (we also dove it at night.) the current is really crazy there, though, and it is a very, very long swim. very long!!! and that's the only place i've been where the surge was so strong it creeped me out. but it's a neat place.

Nope, you ABSOLUTELY don't have to go deep to have a great dive there. Agree 100%. BUT, this thread is about the fact that the State is going to nuke that particular great dive. If you read back, you'll see that I was responding to another post that.....well, it's all still there.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sea of Green wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:Tons of old debris from the years it was an active dock- pilings, rocks and bricks, tires....all with associated fish and critters. If you go out roughly perpindicular from the south end of the "T", drop down, and contour to the North, you'll hit tons of cool junk....old crab pots, etc, etc. I've been down to 130- 140 there, and it just keeps going.....John R told me he'd been to 200' there, and the debris field was STILL going! One of my favorite dives.
At what depth does the debris field start? For us non-techies, 140-200fsw isn't doable. 80-100fsw is my usual profile. I've mostly just hung around the pilings at the T because that's where most of the marine life is
If I recall correctly, you start running into interesting stuff around 80 fsw, but the best parts I remember are below 100. If you're not seeing anything much to look at, try contouring towards the North. I think you could have a fun dive there and keep it above 100....