is this a Monkey Faced EEL? or some thing else ?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
sparky
I've Got Gills

is this a Monkey Faced EEL? or some thing else ?

Post by sparky »

We have been seeing this little fella down at Netarts for some time now but not sure what it is any one have any idea

I think its a Monkey Faced Eel.
Diver Doug thinks its a Cresent headed Gunnel

so what the hell is this thing besides being rather unique it is reale realy shy I was suprised it let me take its picture he usaly hides way up under his den when we get close to it

Sparky

Last edited by sparky on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

It looks like it is a Cockscomb....probably a Slender Cockscomb, Anoplarchus insignis, although the body is not visible in your photo to provide us with additional clues.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

OH COOL SPARKY!!! \:D/

I took your photo and zoomed in on it until my aging eyes could get a good look at it. :) And yes, it's definitely a Monkeyface Prickleback (Cebidichthys violaceus)

They are shy, as you know, and also stay in the same spot for YEARS!

(John, I ruled out Slender Cockscomb because of no stripes on the lower lip, and the face is too puffy and fat, not streamlined like a gunnel or cockscomb)

Congrats on a fun find, and being able to get that pic of a very shy critter.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

wow; that's a crazy-looking fish!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I stand corrected! :prayer:

I was thinking that it was a cockscomb because it seems like there is a little crest starting between the eyes.

I've never seen a Monkeyface prickleback....but I sure would LIKE to!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

You and me both, John!!

But then again, I'd like to see a Lumpsucker, a Red Brotula, a Sixgill Shark, a Snailfish, a Longspine Combfish....etc etc etc....

Poor me! :-({|=

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

nwscubamom wrote:You and me both, John!!

But then again, I'd like to see a Lumpsucker, a Red Brotula, a Sixgill Shark, a Snailfish, a Longspine Combfish....etc etc etc....

Poor me! :-({|=

We're lucky to have you around Janna!!! Folks like you, John, Valerie, Tim, Lowell (well, not any more!), Jan, etc really have added deeper meaning and enjoyment of knowing what my underwater finds are.

Speaking of critter IDing, when is the next REEF class? Mrs. Sounder wishes to attend, and I always enjoy a rousing game of Fish-o!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Good news!! We're getting some courses in place now for 2007 - 2008 - and you can see them here as I get more details:

http://www.pnwscuba.com/critterwatchers/classes.htm

Thanks for the kind words, Doug!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Janna I have a few more shots of this my Monkey Faced EEL

if you would like I coud email them to ya so you could get a better look sadly none of them show the body

and you should come make a dive with Doug And I at Netarts Boat roam thats where I found this one it has been there for a couple years now

maybe we could arange a time for a Money Faced EEL Photo Hunt

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

I'm in the ageing eyes catagory, I enlarged it but still can't make it out. I see what looks like an eye in the middle of it's head.
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

Thanks! But I'm still virtually around...

Post by Huskychemist »

Sounder wrote:
We're lucky to have you around Janna!!! Folks like you, John, Valerie, Tim, Lowell (well, not any more!), Jan, etc really have added deeper meaning and enjoyment of knowing what my underwater finds are.

Why thanks! I absolutely love the critter-watching threads on here and northwestdiver. It somewhat satisfies my jonesing for being in the water again. I've been dry for almost a month now...and I don't mean in a dry suit!

My first Thailand posts should be next week. I have a dive planned for Monday. Should be fun!

And I'm still around...virtually... Heck, on the other board, I just made a few comments on other critter ID threads. Thanks to the wonders of digital technology.

Happy Diving!

Lowell
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

http://scuba.huskychemist.org
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I've got one for ya...
Now if I only knew how to attach a pic.
K
"Let's go diving!"
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Scuba k

first host it on Flicker or what ever site you post your pictures on
Then you copy the adress of the Picture and when posting here first hit the img tab at the top of the page then paste your picture adress and then hit img againe

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Sparky,
It looks like I won't be getting any dives in while at Cannon Beach this year. Sigh. One of these days we will actually meet and/or dive together. Oh well,...
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

WylerBear wrote:Sparky,
It looks like I won't be getting any dives in while at Cannon Beach this year. Sigh. One of these days we will actually meet and/or dive together. Oh well,...

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) oh man I was just starting to look foward to our dive #-o ok fine be that way oh well that dive site isnt going any place and if it were i dont think I would want to be diving then any how ok keep me posted
well get this figured out some day

hey if nothing else maybe we could do a Soda and shoot the Dive BS let me know if you will have somefree time to kill

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

sparky wrote:[hey if nothing else maybe we could do a Soda and shoot the Dive BS let me know if you will have somefree time to kill

Sparky
The problem is I am not going to be there as long as I originally thought and I will be studying like a maniac for a class I have starting on the 2nd. Not much of a relaxing vacation. But I really want to take the class so need to do the obsessive-studying thing to achieve my goal. Sorry we won't meet.
Perhaps we can decide on another time. I really want to dive the Oregon coast. And it's very close. Maybe we can look at late August/early September to see what Tides/Currents are doing around then and we can pick a day when neither of us is working to do a couple dives.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option