Long Island and Shaw Island, San Juans 5/21/16

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Long Island and Shaw Island, San Juans 5/21/16

Post by Echo »

Went out today with a couple of Marker Buoys on Lu-Jacs Charter to Long Island and Shaw. Long Island was everything beautiful as it always seems to be. Fields of Strawberry Anemones and nearly every square foot had a nudi. During our SI and travel to Shaw we encountered the largest male Orca I've ever seen, sea lions, harbor seals, eagles and the normal San Juan locals. Camera was locked in it's housing and didn't bother getting it as everyone else, I'm sure, got a few topside photos. Our 2nd dive was straight out from Friday Harbor to Shaw Island. Current had picked up vis started to stir. Not as much to be seen here but since it is a sanctuary, a large Ling was seen and many nudis. On our way back, we came across a pod of 5-6 Orcas, a whale, and a pod of Dall's porpoise's. Overall, great day, the rain held off and the company couldn't have been better!
-Erika
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Long Island and Shaw Island, San Juans 5/21/16

Post by YellowEye »

Sa-weet!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Really cool!! Nice work!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Erika: Wonderful. I used to see Dall's porpoise all the time. Now I see a lot of harbor porpoise but Dall's are rare. Sometime I will tell you about the magical time I saw them at night. What am I looking at in the eelgrass picture?
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

Just eel grass, it was mesmerizing. I snorkeled the eelgrass and kelp waiting for the boat to come looking for me
-Erika