Philippines

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Philippines

Post by Grateful Diver »

Just got back from my first trip to the Philippines. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the diving was. We spent a week in Puerta Galera ... a couple hours south (by car) from Manila and a short (1 hour) boat ride out. We then flew south (1-1/2 hours by commercial jet) to Dumagette for another few days of diving. I capped it off with a morning swim (snorkel gear only) with the whale sharks in Cebu, which is not far from Dumagette.

PG has a nice mix of muck diving and vibrant coral reefs ... and nearby Verde Island is a wide angle photographer's paradise.

Dumagette is almost all muck diving, although nearby Apo Island has some outstanding soft coral reefs.

For those of you who don't follow me on Facebook (I made daily postings there), here's some of my favorite shots from the trip ... I took almost 3,000 pictures in 10 days of diving and the one-hour snorkel with the whale sharks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Re: Philippines

Post by Bric Martin »

Wow!!!!! Those pics are great!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Superb ! Looks like you hit a jackpot, all the picturesque critters of the Western Pacific in one trip.
Beautiful.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Super jackpot!!!! Those are awesome.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Stunning pictures, congratulations!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow. Gorgeous shots!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Great job Bob!!!
Such amazing critters! Thanks for sharing!
Sooo glad you had a nice trip!!! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Wow, you really checked off the bucket list critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

What an amazing experience! And what lovely photos!!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Omg. That is at the very top of my bucket list. Gotta corner you and talk about that trip. Great great shots!!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Happy to talk your ears off about this trip ... I will definitely be going there again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Steiger
Avid Diver

Post by Steiger »

Awesome.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Bob: Since you have dived extensively, you realize that what you have here is exceptional. I have dived in the PI a couple of times while deployed in the Navy. The first time, in 1968, it was much as you show - an underwater paradise. I dived the same sites in 1990 and found over fishing, including fishing with explosives, seriously degraded the reefs. Your gifts as a photographer brought back many wonderful memories, and showed me things I missed. I am particularly impressed with your shot of the banded sea krait. My phobia caused me to give them a large berth.
Thanks, Curt
Happy to be alive.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Thanks Curt ... that means a lot to me. The reason I take pictures is to share them with friends ... many of whom don't dive and have never seen the things we see underwater. Glad I was able to bring back memories for you as well ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I cannot get over how cute that squat lobster is! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Regarding your picture of the turtle, I imagine what's going through its mind: "Warning, Terrain, Pull Up, Pull Up". :)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

<sarcasm>Too bad you were not able to get any good photos</sarcasm>
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Great photos from one of my regular spots, Bob.

Glad you got to see the yellow pygmys.

Did you do Washing Machine out at Verde?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

No ... they said we weren't allowed to take a camera in there. I figure if I can't take a camera, why go? We did the Coral Garden instead ... which I found to be a bit underwhelming compared to most other sites we did that week.

My favorite site at PG was Giant Clam ... a muck dive. There was so much to see there. At one point we had two mimic octos, a seahorse, and a flamboyant cuttlefish to choose from, all at the same time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

As I recall, Washing Machine has that name for a reason. Wouldn't be the best idea for the typical tourist to bring a camera there, but the dive guides don't understand how well seasoned most Puget Sound divers are.
I liked Coral Garden as the second dive on our second trip to Verde Island at the end of the week. By then I was content to just drift while looking at pretty fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk