Tacoma News Tribune Article..

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Tacoma News Tribune Article..

Post by Scubak »

Thought I would post this to see if anyone knows anymore...

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/upda ... 27243.html

Wow!
Kirsten
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I wonder if it's the fellow who died there a few years back, his body was not recovered if I remember correctly, and the location would be right.

-Valerie
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

i think there's two unrecovered bodies off lobstershop wall...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

lamont wrote:i think there's two unrecovered bodies off lobstershop wall...
Two we know about in recent history, that is. It's probably one of them, but you never know.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

I'm fairly new to the area, but I wouldn't imagine a body would last long in the sea water with out decomposing. Is it just a bad luck, or are there usually more accedents this time of year?
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

kwbyron wrote:I'm fairly new to the area, but I wouldn't imagine a body would last long in the sea water with out decomposing. Is it just a bad luck, or are there usually more accedents this time of year?
one thing to remember is when summer rolls around a lot of fair weather divers dust off there gear and hop in the water, wether or not they re sharpen there skills is another thing. you cant throw a rock at cove 2 in the summer with out it bouncing off a few divers but come winter theres just the hardcore year round folks :supz:
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I hope it's Chad ... http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0 ... his family deserves some closure ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I find this comment particularly disturbing -
“We have people missing from all over Puget Sound,” he said. “There’s more than one person it could be.”
Do we really have that many divers missing around the Sound?????

-Jake
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Well, recently there have been two deaths off Lobster Shop Wall, neither of them were recovered. The fact that he is in dive gear suggests it is one those but we won't know for sure yet.

I really hope it is Chad too.

What a terrible discovery to make at 200fsw... at least it was a firefighter who has been exposed to awful sights before.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

There are a LOT of bodies out there. :pale: I found one in the Duwamish river. My dive buddy found one in lake union and a third dive buddy found one in Lake Washington. Katrina's dive buddy found human bones in Commencement bay south of Les Davis. We were avid divers but we didn't dive very many different locations.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

And remember, missing bodies doesn't necessarily mean missing DIVERS....

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:And remember, missing bodies doesn't necessarily mean missing DIVERS....

-Valerie
Oh yes, I'm sure there are MANY bodies in the Sound known to law enforcement as "missing persons." This one was reported to have been in full dive gear.

I hope one person in particular is there during the recovery to see the consequences of his handy work first hand.
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

kwbyron wrote:I'm fairly new to the area, but I wouldn't imagine a body would last long in the sea water with out decomposing. Is it just a bad luck, or are there usually more accedents this time of year?
Article in the PI said it was skeletal remains.

Body of scuba diver found in Commencement Bay
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Unfortunately (fortunately?) crabs and seastars aren't too picky. This is so sad. At least a family will, hopefully, get some closure.
Kirby
Aquaphile

Missing Diver Found

Post by Kirby »

Thanks for all the phone calls from my friends in the dive community, I found the diver at 205 ft in depth directly out from the South corner of the Lobster Shop Building August 6th. I was diving solo and had spent 3 minutes at this depth when I came upon the diver.

Based on last seen point descriptions it is probable that it is the missing diver from Nov 06, however it is too soon to tell. The diver was in a wetsuit, and was diving a single aluminum 80 which matches descriptions of that diver.

The Pierce County Sheriff's Department did a phenomenal job in the recovery from that depth. I was able to give them an azimuth and depth point to search from and it still took several hours of maneuvering to get the sonar to remain stable on the slope long enough to get a clear image. Once this was accomplished, the officers on the second boat were able to bring the ROV directly to the diver and bring him to the surface.

They were unable to anchor at that depth so had to continually adjust the postion of the boat to keep from tipping the sonar sensor and dragging it out of position. The diver was in the shadow of a ridge which made it difficult to image with the sonar. The profile was very low as he was on his back and embedded in the mud.

Please pray for the family as they again must revisit the trauma of losing a loved one, and for the entire recovery team who spent their entire day bringing this event to a close.
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Thanks Kirby. Well done in notifying the authorities. I hope "someone" was there to see what consequences come from stupid acts. Glad to hear the body was recovered. Hopefully the ID will come soon and the family can gain some closure.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I talked with the Pierce County Sheriff's Department yesterday. The other information they gave me was that the tank was yellow, with a Lighthouse Dive sticker on it. He told me he believed the body had been down several months. As Kirby said, the dive team worked a long time to bring him up safely.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

They showed the gear on the news last night. I can't describe the emotions I experienced as a saw a full set of dive gear covered with barnacles.....
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Pinkpadigal wrote: As Kirby said, the dive team worked a long time to bring him up safely.
Several months too late for that, I should think ... might be more accurate to say they worked a long time to bring him up carefully ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

enchantmentdivi wrote:They showed the gear on the news last night. I can't describe the emotions I experienced as a saw a full set of dive gear covered with barnacles.....
I just watched the video (King 5) - you're right. It's a creepy sight to see the barnacles all over the gear.

There are lots of people missing in Puget Sound... just yesterday someone on a ferry spotted a body floating in the middle of the water.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

What the heck was he doing down at 200 ft with a single tank?! Yep that video was messed up. Yuck.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Grateful Diver wrote:I hope it's Chad ... http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0 ... his family deserves some closure ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
See this thread to read all about it... he had no business being there.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

more bodies

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Here is another body just out floating in Elliot bay.

http://www.komotv.com/news/local/9036657.html

Dont be supprised if you find one!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Re: Missing Diver Found

Post by lamont »

Kirby wrote: Based on last seen point descriptions it is probable that it is the missing diver from Nov 06, however it is too soon to tell. The diver was in a wetsuit, and was diving a single aluminum 80 which matches descriptions of that diver.
I believe that also matches the description of the previous death there as well.

And good work on getting him safely recovered. One family or another will get some closure.

EDIT: here's the previous fatality: http://www.northwestdiver.com/showthread.php?t=15066

I'm pretty sure I recall from other threads on that accident that they were bounce diving on Al80 filled with air as well, no idea if wetsuits or drysuits were mentioned in any of the threads...
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

wow; nice work. does anybody know if that video footage online somewhere?
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets