Back from the Red Sea

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Back from the Red Sea

Post by Grateful Diver »

It's been a while since I've been in here, partly because I was in Egypt and the Red Sea for a couple weeks. I spent 10 days on the MV Tala with a group of mostly local (PNW) divers. Thought y'all might enjoy seeing some pictures and accounts of the trip.

I was there two years ago, and our trip centered mainly around the wrecks and reefs along the Sinai Peninsula in the northern part of the Red Sea and the gulfs that bracket the Sinai. This time we spent more of our time south, looking for larger animals ... although we also did spend the last couple days of the trip diving the Thistlegorm and Abu Nuhas wrecks at the mouth of the Gulf of Suez. But the highlights of the trip were the large animal encounters further south ... oceanic white tip sharks at Small Brother Island, hammerheads at Daedalus Reef, spinner dolphins at Fury Shoal, and a very large green turtle feeding on eel grass on a dusk dive near Marsa Alam.

The two highlights were:

- Stepping off the back of the boat and almost landing on an oceanic white tip at Small Brother. There were three of them hanging out by the back of the boat ... smallish, maybe 5 feet in length. Brian Wiederspan and I spent maybe 15 minutes alternately taking pictures and fending them off with our scooters.

- Hanging at 145 feet at Daedelus Reef almost completely surrounded by a school of hammerheads. I didn't realize until then that these sharks are skittish ... they simply would NOT let us get close enough for a real good picture. Every time I tried to get closer, they'd just swim away ... maintaining a gap of 20-30 feet between them and me. Fortunately I had decided to exchange my wide-angle lens for a zoom lens, so I was able to get decent shots, but blue due to the distance. The strobes were useless, and I just turned them off to reduce backscatter.

Here's some shots of the highlights ... this first one was taken by Brian, that's me in the background.

These are ones that I took ...

This one's got Brian taking video ...

The hammerheads ...

Spinner dolphins ... they weren't at all shy about approaching. We were snorkeling at the time.

Sea caves at Fury Shoals ...

Green Turtle ...

And my final sunset in Egypt. The surrounding land mass is desert, and the wind kicks dust into the air, making sunsets spectacularly colorful. I wonder if this isn't where the name "Red Sea" comes from ...

I've now been to the Red Sea twice ... and I'd rate them as the best two diving trips I've ever done. If you haven't been there, I'd highly recommend it ....

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Back from the Red Sea

Post by Gdog »

Bob, that was awesome. Thank you for posting this report. Id love to, and one day will, dive there. Great shots! We've missed you!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Now that is what I call dive vacation! Great stuff, Bob :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

WOW!!!!!! Really beautiful shots Bob!!! I want to go with you next time :)
I'm so glad the shark didn't swallow you up when you almost jumped into his mouth!!! That's so Crazy!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Sounds incredible. Once Lynne see this, I'll never hear the end of it. :)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Wow! Excellent Photos Bob!

www.jessemillerphotography.com
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I for one wish you would post more Bob I miss seeing your write-ups and your photos... thanks for sharing
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Awesome trip and report!
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Stunning photos, trip of a lifetime!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman