Octopus at Mukilteo

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Octopus at Mukilteo

Post by Pez7378 »

Saw this Beauty today at Mukilteo. Joe and I had a nice dive and now that his regulators are all black they dont leak air anymore :bootyshake:

sorry about the resolution, noticed halfway through the dive that I didn't have it set the way I like it.
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

What part of Mukilteo, the park or T-dock? What depth, what was he hiding under?
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

T-dock, 126fsw, small boat. Can anyone tell me where the line goes that runs off of the bouy line? I think we saw it around 100fsw or so and I failed to determine its direction but I assume it goes toward shore. It was strange to see it just going off into nothingness. Nailer? Do you know anything about that?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah- that line goes up the next hill towards the "troll." It's a little disorienting, because you have to ascend towards the troll- I think you end up going to 110 fsw @ the troll- but then you have to go back down to the boat @ ~ 120 fsw, and then back up the hill- it can be a wee bit confusing, if you're narced, but it's a lot of fun, too. Good gas planning and experience are important for that particular dive....there's something about the second "hill" that throws a lot of people for a loop.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That's fantastic! I have people coming mid-September who really want to see a GPO so I'll be scouting them out as the time approaches.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

OMG!!!
An OctoZilla!!! Haven't seen one of those for awhile...
That is Too Cool!!!
K
"Let's go diving!"
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

niice! i've only seen small octos at mukilteo. i haven't seen that big there, yet.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Sounder wrote:That's fantastic! I have people coming mid-September who really want to see a GPO so I'll be scouting them out as the time approaches.
Doug, the only other one I have seen this size lately is at Keystone in about 26 FSW right along the Jetty. I was surprised to see it so shallow. Some reports indicate that it comes out regularly to hunt, or maybe has another hiding spot?

At Langely I found a medium sized Octopus in the hollow of a log, vis was bad so I couldnt say where it was but Im sure I could find it again. Of course I didn't have my camera then. ](*,)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Wow, big sucker! =D>
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Nailer99 wrote:Yeah- that line goes up the next hill towards the "troll." It's a little disorienting, because you have to ascend towards the troll- I think you end up going to 110 fsw @ the troll- but then you have to go back down to the boat @ ~ 120 fsw, and then back up the hill- it can be a wee bit confusing, if you're narced, but it's a lot of fun, too. Good gas planning and experience are important for that particular dive....there's something about the second "hill" that throws a lot of people for a loop.
Thanks Nailer! I've wanted to see the troll but didnt want to search for it. Maybe I will take advantage of the line if its still there when I return.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Dude, you used my name!!! Now everyone will know who my mild-mannered alter ego is! Great.... scratch diving superhero off my list of career paths. :toimonster: