Insurance!

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Chris
Avid Diver

Insurance!

Post by Chris »

Hey, very bland question but what would be my best choice for divers insurance? And where could I get it (online) ?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Absolutely, without any reservations, and beyond the shadow of a doubt, go with the Divers Alert Network, aka, DAN:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

Spend a few extra bucks on the "Prefered" plan, it's well worth it!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Nailer, is that the voice of experience taking?????????????
Charles
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

No, I've never needed the insurance, but you might want to read THIS THREAD for a testimony about DAN insurance.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I know of several people that have had to use it overseas. The one time I had to take several trips in the chamber, my personal insurance covered it. It was about $900 per ride here in Portland.

I have carried it every year I have dove. I was with Dan several years, went to PADI while a active DM and now back with Dan.
Charles
Sea of Green

Re: Insurance!

Post by Sea of Green »

Chris wrote:Hey, very bland question but what would be my best choice for divers insurance? And where could I get it (online) ?
What type of divers insurance? Equipment? Health? If the former, check out DEPP and a couple others or your home owners insurance if you own a home. If the latter, check your current coverage and see if they include hyperbaric treatment (probably not). I personally have the DAN coverage. My health coverage doesn't include much of what I get with DAN.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Ditto DAN. The Best coverage out there and incredibly affordable. :book:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

Well I went ahead and purchased DAN last night, preferred. Even though I will not be diving until late January again (I'm currently in Afghanistan) I feel it'll work out better buying it now, giving it some time for my card to get to me from the states when its forwarded and what not.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Good move! DAN is awesome! =D>
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

And dont forget about Travel Assist Emergency Evacuation. I have read a few stories that indicate it is not just for Diving emergencies. When I am away from home, I am confident that if I need them, DAN will help me out. When I fill out Emergency contact info, the name and number I submit is DAN 1-919-684-4DAN.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Pez7378 wrote:I have read a few stories that indicate it is not just for Diving emergencies.
true dat; not just a "story" ... so if you're a paraglider or something visiting another country, it's good.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets