Dog fish at Three Tree Point N.

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
decodiver25
Aquaphile

Dog fish at Three Tree Point N.

Post by decodiver25 »

Hey guys on my dive last week to three tree when there was incredible 50ft viz. I didn't mention this because i didn't know what it was called but with some research i now know. IN the very beggining of my dive i saw a 2ft shark!!!! it was amazing i know it wasn't a six gill and i later found out it was a dog fish...are they common in this area? i have never seen one before..
When you think you know everything is actually when you know nothing...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

They aren't rare, but at least I haven't seen them very often, and it's always a treat.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Very cool! Always fun to see a shark-even a dogfish. Apparently there are certain times of year that you can dive Three Tree at night and see lots of them-I think Bob Bailey is the one who told me that. I thought with the viz the way it was on Tuesday that we might see one but never did. Also hoped to see a seal but even though I saw a couple on the surface never saw any underwater. Oh well, another time...
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
decodiver25
Aquaphile

Post by decodiver25 »

hey thanks guys....i saw a seal as my buddy and i were suiting up and i also hoped to see one under water but for some reason we never spotted one either. maybe we scared them away....oh but i did see tons of rat fish!!
When you think you know everything is actually when you know nothing...
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

On my last dive in the PNW (at Mike's Beach NWDC Meet) Bassman and I were swimming along when I saw a dog fish for my first time - I was pretty "WOW'ed" seeing it head right for us in the water as we turned our lights toward it. Then Bassman hit it on the head with his light, lol.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Chris wrote:On my last dive in the PNW (at Mike's Beach NWDC Meet) Bassman and I were swimming along when I saw a dog fish for my first time - I was pretty "WOW'ed" seeing it head right for us in the water as we turned our lights toward it. Then Bassman hit it on the head with his light, lol.
Ask him about the laser incident. :pale:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:
Chris wrote:On my last dive in the PNW (at Mike's Beach NWDC Meet) Bassman and I were swimming along when I saw a dog fish for my first time - I was pretty "WOW'ed" seeing it head right for us in the water as we turned our lights toward it. Then Bassman hit it on the head with his light, lol.
Yes, Keith has an "interesting" relationship with our dog fish... :axe:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

Sounder wrote:
Was that the one he got headbutted by?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Chris wrote:
Sounder wrote:
Was that the one he got headbutted by?
Yup. It went straight for the laser pointer and smacked it. :smt065 He turned it off pretty quick!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman