Whale update

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Whale update

Post by oldsalt »

When reviewing my whale observations, I was struck by the total change in whale populations in my lifetime. My first encounter with whales came when a pod of orca surrounded the boat I was rowing in 1960. Those whales came to be called "Southern Residents" , the imperiled and much publicized salmon eaters. With a couple hundred whale sightings this year, I have seen no Southern Residents. The whales I have been seeing are enjoying robust growth. The orca I have seen in the Salish Sea are the mammal eating Transients. All orca are actually roamers, going where the food is. Transients hang around here because we have a lot of seals and sea lions Here some familiar ones.
Jack spyhopping
Jack spyhopping
T37
T37
We were confused when we found a pod of orca feeding on fish far offshore last month. Sending our photos to various researchers we found they were Northern Residents, straying from their normal range in northern Vancouver Island.
Northern Residents
Northern Residents
In another offshore trip, we were suddenly in the company of 50 humpbacks. Lots of antics: breaching, tail slapping, and fin slapping.
Tail slap
Tail slap
Mother with calf
Mother with calf
Finally, last week I saw the Depoe Bay gray whales. Gray whales normally migrate from their breeding grounds in Baja to their feeding ground in the Bering Sea. Some vary from this, showing amazing adaptability. In past postings I wrote about the Sounders, bottom feeding whales in Puget Sound. Depoe Bay features aanother variant. These animals stop their northern trip on the Orgon coast. Instead of feeding on krill, they seek out mysids, rice sized crustaceans. I have dived in clouds of mysids and find it amazing that these huge animals can find sufficient nutrition from them. While most of the grays I saw were in the kelp close to shore, this one surfaced right behind the boat.
Depoe Bay gray whale
Depoe Bay gray whale
Fluke
Fluke
-Curt
Last edited by oldsalt on Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be alive.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Re: Whale update

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Interesting update, Curt! Hope you are doing well.
Jenn
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Amazing photos 🤩 🐋🐳🐋🐳 I hope the SRKW will be okay 🤞

Thank you for the report 💖🖖🤗
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool. We just had some nice humpback and marine mammal action ourselves up on Vancouver Island, particularly at Port McNeill where everything gets funneled. We had humpbacks swim by several dive sites, unfortunately not observed underwater though. I need to get better about taking topside photos, thanks for sharing yours!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!