Marrowstone Point Dive

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
60south
Pelagic

Marrowstone Point Dive

Post by 60south »

Went for a dive off of Marrowstone Point, by the USGS station in Fort Flagler. This is our third dive there and we keep finding new things.

It's just down the beach from the usual Ft. Flagler dive site, but more exposed because it's right at the tip of the island. Yesterday was flat-flat-flat current, so we had a go to the north even closer to the actual point. (Still ran into some current, but not bad.)

The bottom is rocky with occasional large rocks and a few old bottles. Not a whole lot to see, but it kept us entertained! This is a dive for scooters since the distances are far and the currents are squirrely. This time we came across the intake pipes for the research station. Max depth 60fsw.

If you dive here, error on the side of flood/incoming currents, since that will default to taking you down the beach instead of washing you into the straits.

YouTube Video 2:57
map.png
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: Marrowstone Point Dive

Post by oldsalt »

Sixty: I did this dive a couple of times years ago. We entered at the point and drifted west across the north end of the island. I didn't have a scooter, but I had a chase boat, my inflatable dinghy operated my a family member. It was pretty plain, but you never know. We saw a longnose skate once. Thare's always the chance something unusual will pop up, like Yelloweye's seven armed octopus. Please keep posting your adventures.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
60south
Pelagic

Re: Marrowstone Point Dive

Post by 60south »

oldsalt wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:22 amSixty: I did this dive a couple of times years ago. We entered at the point and drifted west across the north end of the island.
That sounds like fun! We've approached it from the west side too, going in at the RV park down the beach. (Like you, we didn't find much.)

There is a history of a couple wrecks there, including the North Pacific which sunk in 1903. I'm always keeping an eye out for any evidence of that.

glenn