Interesting Question.....

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Interesting Question.....

Post by Seth T. »

We all know what DCS is and how it happens (hopefully!). So here's the deal, those techies that require hours of deco before surfacing, would it technically be possible to blow their deco stops and ascend straight to the surface, immediately going into a recompression chamber?

I'm thinking of Navy-style ships that have an onboard reco chamber. I suppose that the diver could be unconsious, but given that he was physically moved to the reco chamber where he underwent full reco, would the end result be the same as if he had made all his deco stops?

Goofy question, I know. #-o Be kind. :axe:[/i]
Last edited by Seth T. on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

My understanding is that Commercial guys do stuff like that all the time.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Ooops- just re-read the original post- they don't SHOOTto the surface and go unconcious all the time, but they skip deco and ascend at a prescribed "safe" rate, and get into hyperbaric chambers within minutes of surfacing all the time. If someone ascended so fast they lost conciousness, Arterial Gas Embolism would be an even bigger problem than the ommitted decompression, I'm guessing.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Sur-D-O2 Surface decompression on O2 is what it's called there are tables for it in the Navy Dive Manual.

Basically, from the time you leave 40' to the time you are back at 40' has to be 5 minutes or less. So you have to come up, get out of the water, get in the chamber and get back down to 40's real quick.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Nailer99 wrote:Ooops- just re-read the original post- they don't SHOOTto the surface and go unconcious all the time, but they skip deco and ascend at a prescribed "safe" rate, and get into hyperbaric chambers within minutes of surfacing all the time.
i've also heard (from a guy who went to DIT) that this is fairly standard with some of the jobs. that's gotta be hard on the body!!!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nailer99 wrote:Ooops- just re-read the original post- they don't SHOOTto the surface and go unconcious all the time, but they skip deco and ascend at a prescribed "safe" rate, and get into hyperbaric chambers within minutes of surfacing all the time. If someone ascended so fast they lost conciousness, Arterial Gas Embolism would be an even bigger problem than the ommitted decompression, I'm guessing.
Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Sorry, I didn't mean "shoot" literally. I'll change that. I meant the quickest, safe speed to the surface.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Moved to "General Scuba" from the "No Bubble Zone."

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Quietly steaming about DIT and wondering if bend-n-mend brain damage might be an explaination. Naah, they're just... uh... biting my tongue again. :angryfire:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i watched a documentery on hard hat divers and they were filming as a diver was being brought up so they can put him in the chamber, then bang goes the electric system on the lift and the diver is stuck with no way to get up or back down. needless to say the whole crew went into redline mode and was able to fix the lift and get the guy in the chamber, but it was a panic situation.

one thing i thought was wierd, when in a deep saturation diver is in the habitat for days on end they have no taste! apparently the helium does something to the taste buds.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

And I bet it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmonks talking the whole time!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

Commercial divers do have "stops" on the way up but once back on ship have less than 5 minutes to be stripped of gear and into the chamber with the inner and outer doors shut and back under pressure.

Commercial diving is a young persons game. It is very hard on the body.

Saturation divers do things a little different ~ staying under pressure for longer and having different accent and compression obligations.

(If my daughter ever reads this she will realize I do pay attention when she talks about her work)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Burntchef wrote: one thing i thought was wierd, when in a deep saturation diver is in the habitat for days on end they have no taste! apparently the helium does something to the taste buds.
Now that is strange! Sucks to be them. Nothing like a nice rare, juicy steak! \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.