Going to Possession Point fingers with the dive club

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Going to Possession Point fingers with the dive club

Post by Redleg0811 »

I have wanted to dive this for a while so I am really looking forward to this.
60south
Pelagic

Re: Going to Possession Point fingers with the dive club

Post by 60south »

when?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Do you need a buddy?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

Saturday.

Jake you want to go? I will know more details after the Thursday night club meeting. I can call you after?
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

I hope it is not a Lingcod spearfishing party,
Possession Fingers still did not recover from the dive club picnic in 2016...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
TBRenegade
Just Settling In

Post by TBRenegade »

What time? Looks to be a high tide a bit after 2pm?
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

Jan K wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:43 pm I hope it is not a Lingcod spearfishing party,
Possession Fingers still did not recover from the dive club picnic in 2016...
Hi Jan, We are not speargun fishers. One of the dive club member is Bruce's niece. One of my dive partners statement is " I would kick a guy in the junk for spear fishing lingcod". Same guy line fishes for lingcod. His point is there is no sport in spearfishing lingcod as they just sit there.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

For us lurkers... What's the plan?
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

Unfortunately NWBrewer had previous plans and was not able to make it on the day we went.

I was diving side mount and my buddy was diving doubles. We entered straight in front of the trail to the beach and dropped down to 90ft. We then went South along the wall and saw a ton of rock fish a bunch of pregnant ones, we also saw some male ling cod and painted greenlings. We saw a rat fish and at that point I had put away my camera. By the time I pulled it out the RF was gone. My partner was about 5ft higher than me and I saw a large cave and a Big freaking female ling cod. I signaled him and he came down, but the ling had moved back into the cave where we couldn't see her. As I was about to move on she came back. My friend made a noise as she did that and later on said that he just saw this big ass fish coming towards him. Couple other divers said they saw different areas where there were egg masses. We continued along and then reached a turn around point. We bumped up to 70 and were head back along the fingers see more painted greenling and pregnant rock fish. I had about 1 minute deco and figured we should move up to 50ft. As we went along both of us spotted a ton of crab shells and dropped down to 60ft where we saw a huge GPO. The base of the tentacles looked like they were 4" in diameter. We started to slowly ascend as we head north along the fingers. We hung out at 20ft for a bit then 10ft. When we surfaced my buddy who knows the point well had guided right back to the entry point. The rain held off until we were almost all packed up and was only spitting at that.

The club then went for pizza and from there we parted ways. It was a great dive and the only thing that sucked is I thought I got video of most of it, but then when I looked there was only 17 seconds.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

:-(
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Unfortunately a lot of places have been wiped out I haven't seen Lingcod at the usual shore sites in many a year ...they seem to have been thinned out...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

I know Bruce had said he hasn't seen the Ling numbers at Edmonds, but that was from sealions.