Edmonds Oil Dock...How Deep Does it Go?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Seth
Maybe you can educated me. I understand what the egg is for when going deep. But what do you do with a tennis ball, and ping pong ball??
Oh, the ping pong ball crushes and the tennis ball becomes completely concave so that you can flip it back and forth. Very cool.
\:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

132, 112, 150, 80

It doesn't matter, it's all deep.

Seth, I rarely do a fun dive the is less than 100' around here it's very common to have to get to at least 60' before the vis clears. That said, as I get older, even though I dive deeper, I'm more conservative on my planning.

The guys above are right, you can get depth anywhere, it's fun to explore, but it's even more fun to drive home alive and safe after the dive. Take their advice and plan that dive for a nice slack current.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Dmitchell wrote:it's fun to explore, but it's even more fun to drive home alive and safe after the dive. Take their advice and plan that dive for a nice slack current.

Dave
Well said Dave.

Still, getting lost in this is my question about gas planning. Seth, what are you using in terms of tanks? How much gas are you reserving here?
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

dsteding wrote: Seth, what are you using in terms of tanks? How much gas are you reserving here?
We're diving our trusty AL80s. We will start our ascent from max depth at 2000 psi. That will give us plenty of time to explore the shallows and plenty of reserve, just in case :pale: . Again, this is completely contingent on the currents! If they are strong on our way down, I'm stopping us right there and heading back to the shallows. =D>
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Nailer, Ken and I have been down to about 170fsw at that site. It's beautiful down there.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Calvin wrote:Nailer, Ken and I have been down to about 170fsw at that site. It's beautiful down there.
Hopefully NOT on AL80s! :axe: [-X
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Seth T. wrote:
Calvin wrote:Nailer, Ken and I have been down to about 170fsw at that site. It's beautiful down there.
You know the scary thing is I have a friend who did a dive out there without checking the tides. They hit a downwelling and did wind up at ~150fsw on an al80. :pale:

He survived, but they had a looooonnnggg surface swim back, with completely empty tanks. Luckily he survived it with a much healthier respect for the currents at the Oil dock, and a desire to learn gas planning. (Even without getting sucked down by the downwelling, they were way too deep on al80's)

Be careful out there....

Jake
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Seth T. wrote:
Yeah, keep the 80s above 80 feet . . . unless they are doubled up.

I doubt Calvin, Ken and Nailer were down there without having mondo amounts of gas aboard.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dsteding wrote: Yeah, keep the 80s above 80 feet . . . unless they are doubled up.

I doubt Calvin, Ken and Nailer were down there without having mondo amounts of gas aboard.
Hard to go wrong on the max depth = CF rule of thumb.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I like to go with the max depth = PSI/10 rule. :smt038
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Calvin wrote:I like to go with the max depth = PSI/10 rule. :smt038
3500psi/10 = 350fsw ???
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah, more or less. :partyman:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

The power of the dark side is strong in you . . .
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

You know how I roll.... :smt027
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:
The power of the dark side is strong in you . . .

You have no idea....... :evil4:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

Not receiving a kickback or anything, but I just took Mischi Carter's "Tides and Currents" workshop. It was $40 well spent. It now makes a whole lot more sense when CaptnJack says "Dive this on a slack before flood but not before ebb." She also goes over the topography of most of the popular dive spots and their little quirks. (Did you know that Edmonds has a big fat eddy that messes up planning sometimes?)

Here's the link:

http://www.pelagiascuba.com/index.html

And I love Edmonds Oil Dock. For fauna diversity and ease of navigation, it can't be beat. I've not yet gone down the slope at the pilings because it's one of my faves to take new (sticking under 60fsw) divers, but I'm going to get doubled up, check the currents and bring some advanced divers down there at some point. I think I would bring a dive flag, though. There were lots of boats out there last Sunday.

Have a great dive where-ever you go!

dd
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I've been wanting to take Mischi's workshop, but I keep missing it! ](*,)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

i want to take it also. It doesn't look like she has anything scheduled for October yet. Maybe we could put together a group from the board for a private class. What do you think, Calvin?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

[quote="Seth T."][quote="dsteding"] Seth, what are you using in terms of tanks? How much gas are you reserving here?[/quote]

We're diving our trusty AL80s. We will start our ascent from max depth at 2000 psi. That will give us plenty of time to explore the shallows and plenty of reserve, just in case :pale: . Again, this is completely contingent on the currents! If they are strong on our way down, I'm stopping us right there and heading back to the shallows. =D>[/quote]

You are taking an al80 to 132fsw? Dude, seriously, you need to consider a gas management seminar. I may be misunderstanding you, and you may have them doubled up, but in the past you have made some posts on long and/or deep dives on a single al80. If you have them doubled up, more power to you and feel free to tell me to shut the &^%$# up. If however, you are diving a single al80, imho no one has any business at 132fsw regardless of SAC rate or whatever. I'm a novice diver and therefore not the most eloquent at explaining why, but if you contact Bob (NW Grateful Diver) or the staff at Northwest Sport Divers (ask for Matthew or Brian), they can explain it thoroughly. Both of these sources host gas management seminars that provide priceless information that can help experienced divers better plan their dives. Please consider it.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

We did this dive last month without incident. =D>

Our depth was 133 FSW with a dive time of 47 minutes. We decended quickly to depth then meandered up leisurely and spent the majority of the time in the 30-50 FSW range. We stayed well within the no-deco limits on our respective computers.

Viz was beautiful and the water was completely still; no current whatsoever. Not much to see below 110 FSW other than HUGE sunflower stars. The current not-withstanding, I can see when techies would dig going deep here.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Two words:

DIVER DOWN :book:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Seth T. wrote:We did this dive last month without incident. =D>
Guess they don't teach the little things ... like contingency planning and gas management ... in Master Diver class. Guess they don't teach you to think about the fact that you're carrying your buddy's emergency air supply either.

You can get away with dives like that as long as you don't have an incident ... but you're trusting on luck to get you back safely. A couple of people have died around here the past few years learning that lesson the hard way.

Me and three buddies did a simple dive to the I-beams yesterday. At about 80 feet, one of my dive buddies experienced a second-stage freeflow. In the time it took to try to stop the free-flow, get her onto someone else's gas, and shut down her tank, she lost almost 50 cubic feet of gas. Now her tank's useless ... she's gotta come up on someone else's tank. We did a direct ascent from 80 feet to the surface. Took about 5 minutes.

Extrapolate ... from 132 feet that same freeflow would drain your AL80 down to nothing before you could shut it down. Now you're looking at about a 7 minute ascent, minimum, if you want to do it safely ... and that's after you've just spent a minute or two futzing around trying to figure out the problem. And I don't care how good you are ... messing around with something like that at those depths is going to put you in a "heavy breathing" state. Think you and your bud could manage that ascent OK with both of you breathing off a half-spent AL80?

I don't ... you'd have to risk making a fast ascent ... and probably skip your safety stop to make it to the surface before your tank ran out.

If you want to dive that way ... it's your choice. Just be aware that you're taking unnecessary risks that people just shouldn't be encouraged to take.

Good luck ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Grateful Diver wrote:
If you want to dive that way ... it's your choice. Just be aware that you're taking unnecessary risks that people just shouldn't be encouraged to take.

Good luck ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thanks Dad, I mean Bob. As always, you know best.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Seth T. wrote:
Thanks Dad, I mean Bob. As always, you know best.
You know, I've been rather restrained in responding to your comments, even though I think the prevailing attitude on this board is that you are an accident waiting to happen.

Your response to Bob's post has put me over the edge, however. You are absolutely an accident waiting to happen, and I sincerely hope that you wake up and come to your senses before you get hurt. Whomever trained you should be ashamed of themselves.

Bob is one of the more reasoned, respected instructors in the area. He's taken the time--out of a sincere desire to build a better dive community--to educate people for free. He's also taken the time here to appeal to reason and explain why your dive to 132 feet is a bad idea. If you choose to ignore him, fine. Just stop posting about your strokaphilic adventures on this board. Newbies could be reading and think that your dives are actually a good idea. I'd hate to see someone else get hurt because they read about Seth T. (Master Diver) going to 132 feet on an AL80.

Thankfully, your attitude represents a minority of the divers around here.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Bob, I've taken a deep diving course and the instructor taught gas management and took us (the class of 4) down to 130 FSW on multiple occations. Are you saying the instructor's wrong?
Guess they don't teach the little things ... like contingency planning and gas management ... in Master Diver class
What's the point of saying something dumb-ass like that? That's a direct insult and is totally unacceptable. This is an accomplishment that I'm proud of and took work to complete.

If you want to talk further with me about my diving education and training, I suggest that you talk with my privately via email or pm (hell, I'll even give you my phone number). I'm tired of you slandering and belittling me on the public board.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.