To Snorkel or Not to Snorkel...

General banter about diving and why we love it.

Do you "wear" your snorkel during a dive?

Every dive
6%
Occationally
20%
Never unless there's one heck of a surface swim
26%
What's a Snorkel? Them's Fightn' Words!
49%

Total votes: 35

Seth T.
Amphibian

To Snorkel or Not to Snorkel...

Post by Seth T. »

Another just-for-fun poll. \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

My first dive out of OW class my buddy asked if I was going diving or snorkeling. :smt064

I took it off after that dive. Now I dive a long hose, so it would kind of get in the way during OOA drills.

I also don't boat dive. I've heard people say they can be a big help when you surface in big swells on a boat dive and have to get to the boat, but I've never been in that position.

I can't really answer the poll, because while I dn't use one, I don't really see anything wrong with people who choose to.

Jake
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nwbrewer wrote:Now I dive a long hose, so it would kind of get in the way during OOA drills.
Ditto what Mr. Brewer said about longhose.

Not against them per se. They have their place and time. Just not most of the time when I'm diving.

Why do I have a feeling this is going to turn into the splits vs jets thread?! ](*,)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I wear a snorkel when I'm snorkeling ... which is usually between dives in someplace with warm, clear water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote:I wear a snorkel when I'm snorkeling ... which is usually between dives in someplace with warm, clear water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
:supz:
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

yes, snorkels are good for snorkeling, and if there is that long of a surface swim I prefer to be on my back anyways. there was this one time though, my buddy disappeared from the surface during a swim out, and I felt and saw bubbles coming up... sneaky punk... it turned into the top gun thing, where I turned face down to see him looking up with a sly grin and my reg stuffed into his mouth...only I don't have an underwater case for my polaroid. hmmm I should look into that.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

mancub wrote: where I turned face down to see him looking up with a sly grin and my reg stuffed into his mouth....
That will teach you to let your reg dangle! \:D/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I quit using a snorkel while diving after about the second or third time I grabbed my snorkel instead of my inflator hose! Im just not smart enough to switch it to the other side. I think I may still have one around here somewhere. It's useful for snorkelling on shallow reefs.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Pez7378 wrote:I quit using a snorkel while diving after about the second or third time I grabbed my snorkel instead of my inflator hose!
:laughing3: I think we've all done that at one time! :bootyshake:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

An instructor told me a little while ago that PADI requires instructors to wear snorkels during their OW dives. He says that they don't specify where the instructor must wear it, so this guy hooks it to his BCD. I'm not an instructor (Master Diver thankyou very much) so I don't know the accuracy of this. Is it true?? :bounce:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I am one of the few, but I wear my snorkel on every dive. It is handy to have. I use it to swim out, or swim in at the surface. It doesn't bother me or get in the way.

I am supose to dive with a snorkel when teaching any PADI class I am certified to teach, except wreck. If I don't take it off my mask, I don't have to worry about not having it.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm lucky enough that my gas consumption is such that I don't have to worry about any gas I use at the surface, so if there is any need for protection from water, I can use my regulator.

My snorkel drove me crazy. I've never missed it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

LCF wrote: My snorkel drove me crazy. I've never missed it.
Ditto. I tried my snorkel last week at Edmonds Oil Dock and dang was it irritating! It's one of those TUSA Dry snorkels, so once under the water the valve at the top of the snorkel (that keeps water from entering when actually snorkeling) rattled the ENTIRE dive. I was pissed. I won't be using that again! :angryfire:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I ALWAYS wear my snorkel. Always have. I've had many an occasion where I've needed to use it, and was glad it was handy. Most of the time it goes unused, but it's a piece of safety equipment that I won't go without, as far as I'm concerned.

I've done a lot of diving off boats in rough seas/chop. Sometimes you go into the water and all is well, but are surprised to surface to quite a chop. Sometimes you wind up having to do a long surface swim, and while I also prefer to do these on my back, there are times and water conditions where I use the snorkel. (either wanting to conserve my air before a dive, or keep a bit in reserve after the dive).

With that being said, I can't stand most snorkels. They're top heavy, cumbersome, and get in the way. (And yes, at first I too tried to inflate/deflate my snorkel) ](*,)

I finally landed on one I love - I use a TUSA low profile snorkel, with a very small inline dry top, so it's not cumbersome and quite streamlined. I forget the model, but I'll look if anyone's interested. The tubing is flexible too.

Just my two psi!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

I'm in the no snorkel camp (unless I'm snorkeling). I have a regulator and air in reserve so I use it if necessary. Even off a boat in chop as long as my mask is on I can swim on my back and just not inhale when a wave comes even without a snorkel or regulator.

In kelp it would be a real pain to have a snorkel attached as well. I don't even find it comfortable to swim on the surface on my stomach and if on my back it doesn't do much if the waves are big enough to be a problem in the first place.
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I used my snorkle for years....
Let me rephrase that.... I had my snorkle attatched to my mask for years.
I was taught that I needed it. I never used it....but kept it on my mask as instructed.

I decided to remove it finally and have not reattatched it.
My fabulous pup ~ the evil Breezilla ~ eat it one day.
I am not sure what inspired her ~ she had been around it for 2 years and had never touched it.

I will have to buy another before I head to warm water if I want to do any snorkling in between dives.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

This is a really good topic. IMO snorkels or for snorkeling, A snorkel never did me no good at 60ftsw.
Who run barter town?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Yes, but when you consider that a good number of dive accidents occur at the surface - it brings new consideration for the snorkel into play....

I don't think it's necessarily *having* a snorkel that's important, (ie: I'll throw a snorkel on THIS time because it looks like it's going to be choppy out there) but being USED to it, knowing automatically that it's there (because it always is) and being able to use it in an emergency or tight situation.

There's a lot to be said about 'muscle memory' - if you only sometimes have one, or most of the time don't - your brain and body is not going to be trained to use it if you need it in a semi-panic situation.

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

nwscubamom wrote:Yes, but when you consider that a good number of dive accidents occur at the surface - it brings new consideration for the snorkel into play....
How? We all have regulators! I can see snorkeling out a fair distance in shallow water. Edmonds Oil Dock is a perfect example of this; the water is just too stinking shallow for 300 yards to waste air on (finning in AFTER the dive is a different story).

But after a dive, when you know exactly how much air you've used, I see no benefit whatsoever to wearing a snorkel at the surface, especially if it's choppy. It's no fun getting a mouth full of water from a dunked snorkel. The last thing you want is to have your buddy choking to death in choppy water when it could have been avoided by just keeping in his reg! #-o

Unless someone is a total fool, they should ALWAYS have plenty of air in their tank for a rough surface swim. Hello 500 psi! :axe:

Okay, I'm getting off my soap box now. :salute: :bootyshake:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Seth,

Edmonds is a great example - sometimes divers navigate poorly and surface way the heck out there - sometimes they don't leave enough air in their tank as a reserve. Sometimes they wind up getting caught in an unexpected current down below or on the surface and blow through their air faster than they would have anticipated. Upon surfacing they see they're very far from shore, and may even have to fight more current to get back in.

(and although 500psi is a good rule, unfortunately it's not always nearly enough) - sometimes stuff just happens. Can it be prevented? Usually, yes.

And as a more extreme example, if for some reason your buddy needed to share air with you, and you find your air supply diminished, you might be really happy to have that snorkel along on the surface.

Another example - if you needed to tow or push your buddy back into shore, you'd need your snorkel to do at least one of the tows where you keep constant eye contact with the victim, but use your snorkel.

And another compelling example: Those of you who have taken rescue diver courses know that sometimes you must jump into the water at a moment's notice, wearing your mask/snorkel and fins (no scuba unit). It's critical that you keep eye contact with the victim at all times. You can't do that swimming on your back. Do you really think you're going to stop and take the time to connect that snorkel that's stuffed under the seat of your truck to your mask at that crucial time?

But if you always have it on - you never have to even think about it. It's there. You're used to it. You're comfortable with it already.

Divemasters have to do a timed mask/snorkel/fin swim (at least for PADI they do) - there's a reason for this.

You might think these are far-fetched examples - but to me, it's a good, simple piece of safety equipment and the benefits of having one outweigh the downsides of having one. YMMV.

[and as a side note: I've never once gotten a mouthful of water from a dunked snorkel when using one - which could be a combination of the right snorkel, the right dry top, or maybe just that I'm comfortable knowing how to breathe through a snorkel and clear one if needed.]

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I use a snorkle for some dives. But I use one for all training dives.
Just lost my favorite one {tusa} at Lobster shop dive site while acomplishing my rescue diver course. It was Atttached to a nice mask too. :angryfire:

Keith. (still on the mend from back surgery)
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

nwscubamom wrote:Yes, but when you consider that a good number of dive accidents occur at the surface - it brings new consideration for the snorkel into play....

I don't think it's necessarily *having* a snorkel that's important, (ie: I'll throw a snorkel on THIS time because it looks like it's going to be choppy out there) but being USED to it, knowing automatically that it's there (because it always is) and being able to use it in an emergency or tight situation.

There's a lot to be said about 'muscle memory' - if you only sometimes have one, or most of the time don't - your brain and body is not going to be trained to use it if you need it in a semi-panic situation.

All very good points for the snorkel! Thats why this topic is a good discussion. I personally dont use one, unless training is involved. But to ME with MY gear it just gets in the way. But thanks Janna for the opinion about it. You can never overlook everything.. =D>
Who run barter town?
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Excellent points Janna! See, this is the difference between a Master Diver (Me) and an Instructor (You). :supz: :partyman:

Whenever I jump on the bandwagon and become a PADI "professional", I will undoubtedly share your view on snorkels.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

This has been a great discussion!

I appreciate everyone sharing their views, and not getting weird in the process. :prayer: NWDiveClub Rocks! :supz:
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Tom Nic wrote: NWDiveClub Rocks! :supz:
Totally! :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.