To Snorkel or Not to Snorkel...

General banter about diving and why we love it.

Do you "wear" your snorkel during a dive?

Every dive
6%
Occationally
20%
Never unless there's one heck of a surface swim
26%
What's a Snorkel? Them's Fightn' Words!
49%

Total votes: 35

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

so what is a "master diver" anyway?? ive heard it thrown around a few times. and how is it different from a "divemaster"
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I love the discussion of "who has the most c cards" I was recently on a boat dive and everyone in the cabin during the si was pulling there's out. :vom:
I could care less who has what certification. I've dove with both ends of the c card spectrum and there are really good.....And REALLY crappy at both ends.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Burntchef wrote:so what is a "master diver" anyway?? ive heard it thrown around a few times. and how is it different from a "divemaster"
Divers must meet the following requirements:

Open Water
Advanced
Rescue
5 Specialities
50 Logged Dives

It's PADI's highest non-pro certification. Divemaster is the first of pro certifications. Look here: PADI[/img]
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

cardiver wrote:I love the discussion of "who has the most c cards" I was recently on a boat dive and everyone in the cabin during the si was pulling there's out. :vom:
I could care less who has what certification. I've dove with both ends of the c card spectrum and there are really good.....And REALLY crappy at both ends.
patch diver syndrome is a horrible thing, sort of funny but still bad.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Burntchef wrote: patch diver syndrome is a horrible thing, sort of funny but still bad.
I'm certainly not a card snob, but I do like continually learning. :book: I personally have found it extremely beneficial having lots of training in various "facets" of scuba. If anyone ever sees me bragging about my card collection, please do me a favor and throw me one in the kisser! :smt065 :boxing:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Seth T. wrote: If anyone ever sees me bragging about my card collection, please do me a favor and throw me one in the kisser!
Seth T. wrote: I'm not an instructor (Master Diver thankyou very much) so I don't know the accuracy of this.
Ok then....... :boxing:
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Only wear a snorkel when I have to wear it which is when I'm involved as a PADI DM Candidate (and when I will be DM'ing). Standards require it be "worn" and my Instructor requires I have it "useable" when working with students, otherwise it is lashed to my belt.

The more interesting issue is WHY does PADI teach and require a snorkel? Most OW diving classes (ALL ? OW diving classes) don't teach snorkeling any more so why have it at all? My Instructor thinks it is a legacy from the time when "men were men and regs had two hoses" (which of course is how they are meant to be). When using a two hose reg you HAD to swim out on your stomach or else the reg would free flow -- thus you used your snorkel. (An alternative explanation is that since most people learn in warm water, people actually LOOK down while swimming out.)

Personally, I think the "modern snorkel" with its corregated (sp?) tube is just an invitation for the "typical diver" (i.e. one that dives less than 12 times a year) to get confused with that and her BC inflator hose.

PADI should get rid of the snorkel requirement.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Seth T. wrote: If anyone ever sees me bragging about my card collection, please do me a favor and throw me one in the kisser!
Seth T. wrote: I'm not an instructor (Master Diver thankyou very much) so I don't know the accuracy of this.
No no, I'm not bragging. I'm saying that I'm NOT a PADI Pro! :axe:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Burntchef wrote:so what is a "master diver" anyway?? ive heard it thrown around a few times. and how is it different from a "divemaster"
The term means different things, depending on the training agency.

With PADI, it's a recognition that you have taken a few specialty programs and done a requisite number of dives. There's some leeway in terms of which specialty courses you choose.

With NAUI, Master Diver is a course unto itself ... actually a rather comprehensive one. NAUI's approach is to recognize that many people want the diving skills taught at the divemaster level, but without actually going into a leadership position (which requires certain other things of a diver, including increased liability and therefore insurance). For this reason, their Master Diver program provides you with all of the diving skills required for DM, but without the Leadership training. NAUI's Master Diver program gives you a real in-depth look at some of the essential skills and knowledge needed to be able to plan and execute dives under a wide range of conditions. There are eight required dives ... and as many additional dives as your instructor decides you need in order to complete the program. To my concern, it's NAUI's best course.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I know far more people who have descended while still using a snorkel (about 6, all with much sputtering and gasping) than have been "saved" by them at the surface (zero).

Last time I wore a snorkel was while snorkeling in MX. It worked fine. \:D/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Seth T. wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
No no, I'm not bragging. I'm saying that I'm NOT a PADI Pro! :axe:
I know, I'm just giving you a hard time. :smt064
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nwbrewer wrote: I know, I'm just giving you a hard time. :smt064
Okay. Whew. :smt027
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I personally don't use a snorkle, except as many folks have said, when snorkling.

I would much prefer to conduct a rescue at the surface without any gear on, than with a snorkle - think lifeguard. Less to grab, less to get in the way.

However, if faced with a need to "reach out" to someone ("reach or throw, don't go" ... I almost always choose the "go" #-o ), to hold a snorkle on one end, and have them grab the other - if they get froggy, I can just let go. What does that mean though? Then I have to grab them myself anyway.

And yes, NAUI's Master Diver course is fantastic and quite tough... and I like that the instructor can customize extra dives (above the required number) to suit the student's interest and/or training needs. I really like NAUI! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I used to wear one but while submerged I keep grabbing the snorkle instead of the inflator.

I do like it in swells but haven't really missed it.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I have the most cards out of anyone here (a deck of 52), because I'm soooooo cool. :rr: :la:
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Calvin wrote:I have the most cards out of anyone here (a deck of 52), because I'm soooooo cool. :rr: :la:
Wow, you took open water 52 times? Very impressive! :bootyshake:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Now I know I am an odd one :pale:
I not only "wear" snorkel at all dives, but I use it on every dive! When I swim out to deeper water and then after dive back, I always look for critters near the surface. And the exhaust bubbles from my reg don't scare them away..
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

I always like to see where I am swimming. And see what lurks is below me. Remember JAWS?
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

No snorkel for me. I was forever grabbing it instead of my inflater.

As of C Cards, If I want to get depressed all I have to do is count them up and figure the cost. Now there is some "Scuba Units". #-o
Charles
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

I"ve been sans snorkel for some time now, not sure how long, 2 or 3 years (see avatar, no snorkel). It was ok when I had one, but it would get in the way when I was diving, and not having one makes the mask easier to get on. I never thought about just putting in in my cargo pocket on my suit because I do surface swims on my back, or sometimes on my side if I need to reduce drag.