Do YOU Trox?

General banter about diving and why we love it.

How often do you dive Nitrox?

Every Dive
50%
Occationally (when I want to increase my bottom time, etc)
22%
I'm an airhead. No 'trox for me.
16%
Night Rocks! Wait. What was the question again?
13%

Total votes: 32

Seth T.
Amphibian

Do YOU Trox?

Post by Seth T. »

I'm full of fun polls! :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Finally bought an all you can eat Nitrox subscription. \:D/

I dive at least once a week, rarely over 100 fsw, but will have weeks (like this one) where I will do multiple dives.

I simply feel better when I'm diving Nitrox. Psychological? OK, if you insist, but I don't think so. If a higher O2 percentage can extend bottom time on multiple dives by reducing your nigtrogen loading then surely it could have an affect on how you feel as well? At least for some people, just like Nitrogen Narcosis has different effects on different people.

Plus I just think it's "healthier", at least for me. I am NOT 25, I DON'T weigh 175lbs, and so by all I've read I've got more issues with tissue loading than said hypothetical person. ](*,)

My problem was finding a diveshop close to home that would give me a good deal. My guess is that shops don't make much if any money on nitrox in any case, whether by the tank or by subscription. Many have determined that it's a money loser and just won't go there on a subscription basis. My thanks to those shops that do sell all you can eat Nitrox. :prayer:

Just my .02 psi,

-Tom Nic
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Tom Nic wrote:Finally bought an all you can eat Nitrox subscription. \:D/
-Tom Nic
So, did you get a nitrox "air card" or do you truely have a forever nitrox membership? :bounce:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Some dive shops offer "unlimited" nitrox fills for a monthly or annual fee. It's kind've a win-win situation for folks who dive a lot, because it reduces the cost of nitrox fills, while at the same time "guaranteeing" a steady income to the dive shop.

NWSD, 5th D, Starfish, and Tacoma Scuba are the ones I know that offer this program ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Grateful Diver wrote:Some dive shops offer "unlimited" nitrox fills for a monthly or annual fee.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Whoa, that would be cool. The only place close to me (sort of) that does something similar is Bubbles Below, but theirs is technically a 10 punch air card. ](*,)

How much is the monthly/annual fee for this sort of thing? :bounce:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Seth T. wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Some dive shops offer "unlimited" nitrox fills for a monthly or annual fee.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Whoa, that would be cool. The only place close to me (sort of) that does something similar is Bubbles Below, but theirs is technically a 10 punch air card. ](*,)

NWSD: Annual Membership which includes Nitrox and other benefits
http://www.nwsportsdivers.com/Aquaholics.htm
Standard fills and O2 servicing prices
http://www.nwsportsdivers.com/oxygen_se ... pricin.htm
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Seth T. wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Seth,

If you're coming from Stanwood to Bubbles Below in Woodinville, there's virtually no difference in the drive to NWSD. Just turn West on 522 instead if East.

Jake
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Seth T. wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Seth,

If you're coming from Stanwood to Bubbles Below in Woodinville, there's virtually no difference in the drive to NWSD. Just turn West on 522 instead if East.

Jake
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nwbrewer wrote: Seth,

Jake
Well, not quite. I actually work in Snohomish, so I generally hit BB on my lunch break to pick up/drop off tanks. NWSD would be quite a bit farther for me. ](*,)
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Seth T. wrote: Whoa, that would be cool. The only place close to me (sort of) that does something similar is Bubbles Below, but theirs is technically a 10 punch air card. ](*,)

Each place offers a different program ... NWSD and 5th D are annual, Starfish and Tacoma Scuba are monthly.

I pay $100 per month for nitrox fills ... which works out to between $3 and $4 per fill. Definitely cheaper than buying punch cards, which are usually on the order of about $8 per fill.

That, and most of my tanks are 95's, 119's and 130's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I have timed it -- It is a total of five minutes from the 405/522 interchange to NWSD (except at rush hour).

I believe the Aquaholics membership (all you can eat Nitrox) is $500/yr. I bought mine on the one-day sale last December and paid $400 for it. I figured I was diving free Nitrox about three months after I bought the membership. Not to mention that they bank 32%, so most of the time, you can walk in and get a Nitrox fill while you wait, if you need to. Sometimes they do PP fill, so you do have to have O2 cleaned tanks and valves, though. No requirement for huge Nitrox banners, either. And the membership gets you discounts on other gases (eg. Argon) and equipment bought through the shop, too. It's a pretty amazing deal.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I'LL STICK TO THE FREE AIR I GET FROM MY LDS! :partyman:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yup - I'm a NWSD junkie too. Nitrox on every dive.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

You divers up in Puget Sound are so lucky with all of the choices. We just do not have those down here. A 10 punch air card for $40 is the best I could find. At least from a shop within decent driving time and with air quality I would put in my tanks.
Charles
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

although i have my nitrox cert, i have not used it, since i got it back in december of 2005.
Last edited by jeff98208 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Sadly I have not dove since July and dont have many dives logged. :pale:
When I bought dive computer the LDS said it came with a free nitrox class,which sadly I have not yet to take.

I must dive soon or I will dry up and blow away.....
Jeff Castor
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Jeff, JUST DO IT.
Charles
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I used to think the Nitrox hoopla was a bunch of overpriced psychological hype, but no longer!

When I started diving about 8 years ago, I don't think I really needed or felt any effects of the Nitrox phenomenon. However, as my body has aged, I definitely feel a difference now.

It's especially critical for me when doing multiple dives/multiple days, and I have to teach critter ID stuff at night in between dives. I am so exhausted and fatigued when using air.

Guess they don't call it Geezer Gas for nothin' :)

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

nwscubamom wrote:
Guess they don't call it Geezer Gas for nothin' :)

:laughing3:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

Geezer Gas
:smt038 :laughing3: :notworthy:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

nwscubamom wrote:Guess they don't call it Geezer Gas for nothin' :)

Ooooh! Ooooh! Oooh! How cool would that be on a green and yellow cylinder sticker?

"Caution GEEZER GAS, Do not dive this cylinder until you have gained sufficient life experience, or are susceptible to sudden bouts of aging"

feel free to add to this idea as you see fit.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

http://www.johnfloresgraphics.com/geezerGas.gif

:)

You think I just made this up???

Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Of course I didnt think you just made it up. I have never seen the stickers before though. I LIKE IT!! I like it almost as much as the Voodoo Gas stickers. It needs more though. :book:
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

Do I get to use it? I'm only 24, but I have the memory/attention span of a 90-yr old...i forget things...like....so did an underwater pumpking carving contest today at...wait, where was it...started with an m....come to think of it, where am I.. OH! I need to be studying!
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

i would use the trox, but its kinda hard when the only 2 tanks you have are used for air, and don't have the green backs for buying tanks to use trox. but someday i will have at least one tank for it though!