Snail Fish

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Kirby
Aquaphile

Snail Fish

Post by Kirby »

Just saw another snail fish off Ruston Way at about 30 ft depth, little guy this time about 3" long. No camera along of course. How common are these? Only the second one I have ever seen.

Kirby
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Clingfish seem to be much more common. I've only seen a handfull of Snailfish myself. I suspect that they are reasonably common but not out in the open very often.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have seen them mostly in the San Juans in somewhat surgey shallow water. Ruston Way seems out of place for a critter adapted to hold on tight to the bottom. :) I love those little guys.
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

CaptnJack wrote:I have seen them mostly in the San Juans in somewhat surgey shallow water. Ruston Way seems out of place for a critter adapted to hold on tight to the bottom. :) I love those little guys.
I could be wrong but I don't think they hold on tight just because of surge. I've seen Snailfish at Cove 2 and Three Tree N. and Clingfish are found a most sites "clinging" on to the bottom of logs and whatever else is available.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I thought the sucker on their belly was (evolutionarily) made for holding on to stuff in surge?? Surprised to hear about them at muddy sites, maybe they don't care much?